100 Ton Master / AB Special Job Outlook?

I currently hold a 100 ton Master, AB Special, Lifeboatman and Twic card, any leads on companies hiring as a 100 ton or AB would be greatly appreciated. My AB ticket is currently being upgraded to AB Unlimited.

I am looking to work as soon as possible and not too picky on where / what.

Is it difficult to get hired by companies like Tidewater, HOS or Choest?

I come from a charter fishing background hence my tiny license. I am looking for a company that will allow me to earn time towards a bigger license albeit, Master of Towing or the non towing route. I will be taking Radar Unlimited and MROP in August to add to my endorsements.

Any info or advice would be appreciated.
<input id=“gwProxy” type=“hidden”><!–Session data–><input onclick=“jsCall();” id=“jsProxy” type=“hidden”>

Keep an eye on the Jobs board here. Put together a resume, start sending applications and resumes to all the companys in the gulf or whereever you want to work and try to make a trip to the offices to put in some face time. The face time is the most important in my opinion. Good Luck!

[QUOTE=Splash;15446]Keep an eye on the Jobs board here. Put together a resume, start sending applications and resumes to all the companys in the gulf or whereever you want to work and try to make a trip to the offices to put in some face time. The face time is the most important in my opinion. Good Luck![/QUOTE]
Regarding face time, what are some good tactics for getting in front of the people hiring? Is it like cold calling for sales where there is a lot of door slamming?? I have thought of driving up to the Bayou to see who is hiring but not sure what to say beyond introducing myself and asking if they are hiring.

Did the door to door in April when oil was around $50’sh a barrel. I picked Houma, LA for a base camp and stayed in a very comfortable hotel for $45.00 a nite with great wi-fi in the room and a good computer/printer set-up in the lobby. At the time, 99% of the companies were not hiring and laid off crew and stacking boats. The only company that wasn’t stacking and laying off was Choueste. They all told me to come back when oil is $70.00 a barrel. Although oil has come up and hovering around the mid-60’s, they’re still laying off and cutting back on pay. Bottom line…too much supply and not enough demand! All of the companies in that area are all lined up on both sides of the ditch. You start on one side for a few days and then you work the other side for a few days. Be prepared for writer’s cramp from all of the app’s you’ll be filling in and the look of sympathy from the HR people. Its all about timing! One HR told me that when they need captains, they need them in hours, so they go to the guys that have the closest address to their offices. One of my friends actually set up a tent in a local campground and finally got a job. But that was 7 months ago. Good luck mate!

From what I’m told engineers are still in demand, thank goodness. But you need at least a Chief Ltd Oceans and it’s better if you have at least a 2nd unltd. It’s important to have experience out of the OSV field too.

I did the Bayou boogie in January…There are still a few companies that were taking on good people when they ran across them, selective hiring I guess you can call it…

To save your self some time,make a list of the companies that you want to visit…Do as many of those applications at home and keep copies of them with you…When you go into see HR, you have a one of their applications along with a resume and cover letter all in a nice neat packet…It saves them from having to look or saying that they will look later…When the have all of your info in their face they almost have to look a little, just to be polite…:slight_smile:

I want to thank you all for the great advice. I just received my updated Ab Unlimited MMD in the mail and the search has begun. Although I have a 100 Ton Master, it appears there is a better chance of sailing as an AB.

For some reason, maybe it’s Capt. Murphy’s Law, you have to already be working to hear about other great jobs. Good Luck and Fair Winds.