100 ton work boater looking to move north and east

I just found out tonight that my wife is sick of the Southern summers. Cant say I blame her but I’ve only been working oil and gas fields on a utility since this past summer. My question would be

If I were to move up north, what is hiring on either the great lakes, upper rivers, or in the Atlantic? Furthermore, what types of jobs should I look for down here that could give me experience that would translate. i.e. Should I go find a tugboat company that will take a green captain, Should I get my QMED and give up being a captain etc.

Any recommendations are welcomed.

Why don’t you just fly like a bunch of guys do?

A 100 ton license isnt going to open any doors up in the NE except for low paying cruise boat jobs. Are you willing to move for $15 an hour?

This. I am cooling my heels at pdx right now waiting for a ride to a ship. That is a benefit of this industry. You can live pretty much anywhere (except for tug guys) for the most part.

With your 100 ton you will get a fancy Deckhands job in the NE. It is a different world. The three R’s reign supreme. Rocks, Recency and Reputation.

Without one of them your just gonna be on the learning curve. (Probably with good reason too) There’s a whole lot to learn before you get let loose among granite and New York Harbor.

But, I have to be honest, a Deckhand is now earning about 65K a year. So you could come give it a try for those wages. Of course you could go to one of the non Union companies and make scratch too. (or Bouchard) That;s one way to ‘put in your time’ Lots of people go there, and soon move on. (well, at least the smart ones)

Andrie.com is always looking for ABs on the Great Lakes. I work for them currently. Really good company for me. Some disagree but that’s any company. I worked some pretty bad west coast companies for a long time before them. Schedule is 28/14. Mates spots open up semi often too so you could move up when you got your bigger mates license.

[QUOTE=“cappy208;126293”]With your 100 ton you will get a fancy Deckhands job in the NE. It is a different world. The three R’s reign supreme. Rocks, Recency and Reputation.

Without one of them your just gonna be on the learning curve. (Probably with good reason too) There’s a whole lot to learn before you get let loose among granite and New York Harbor.

But, I have to be honest, a Deckhand is now earning about 65K a year. So you could come give it a try for those wages. Of course you could go to one of the non Union companies and make scratch too. (or Bouchard) That;s one way to ‘put in your time’ Lots of people go there, and soon move on. (well, at least the smart ones)[/QUOTE]

And don’t forget higher taxes in the north east, that will really take a bite out of a small check. Hot summers or more money? What will make your wife happier?