100 ton captain running as 200 ton mate

I am applying for my 100 ton captain and need to know what I need to do to be a 200 ton mate. I was told I if I had my 100 ton captains I could be a 200 ton mate. I have enough sea time for anything imaginable.

46 CFR Part 11.910-2, all you need to know. Include this citation in a letter to the USCG when you apply for both licenses in the same application. As long as you really do have the sea time and have taken and passed your tests then they should not say no.

It’s not the license you ‘want’, it’s the license you ‘apply for’ that matters. Meaning, since it costs you money to apply, why not make sure you get exactly the license (maximum) that you can go for? If you don’t know, put down some more info, some here will likely be able to nudge you along the rhumb line. Or you could pay one of those ‘license mills’. They generally go over your seatime and push you for the maximum you can get (of course, since the larger the license the more $$$ they make!

Google works well:

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/MCP-FM-NMC5-69_Mate_200_NC.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2FMCP-FM-NMC5-69_Mate_200_NC.pdf&B1=GO!

You need to ask for it. They will decide wether or not you can have it or not. You’ll only get what you ask for, not everything you qualify for.

[QUOTE=PaddyWest2012;131037]46 CFR Part 11.910-2, all you need to know. Include this citation in a letter to the USCG when you apply for both licenses in the same application. As long as you really do have the sea time and have taken and passed your tests then they should not say no.[/QUOTE]

Look at footnote 7 in the CFR table, it means there was stuff that has to be tested for a 200 ton license (mate or master) that isn’t on the 100 ton test (mate or master). You have to take a test when you go from any 100 ton license to any 200 ton license. In this case, if you apply for both Master 100 and Mate 200 it will be a single exam for both Master 100 and Mate 200, and will cover all the subjects in the table, including those with the footnote 7. If yopu apply for Mate 200 now, you wouldn’t have to test in the future when you go to Master 200. If you only apply for Master 100 now and not Mate 200, you will have to test again when you go to Master 200.

The sea time for Master 100 is greater than that for Mate 200, so sea time should not be a problem.

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=z-drive;131049]…You need to ask for it. They will decide wether or not you can have it or not. You’ll only get what you ask for, not everything you qualify for.[/QUOTE]

This isn’t always true, for some endorsements they will give you the others you qualify for. But they won’t in this case, because of the exam issue I described above. Since Mate 200 has a more comprehensive, and potentially “harder” exam, NMC won’t assume you want Mate 200 if you only apply for Master 100.