1 1/2 sea days?

Every vessel is in operation 24 hours a day…

How do you explain this with regard to a vessel that is secured to a dock, with the plant shut down, and no one onboard (e.g. a fleeting tug, among others)?

No they aren’t. There are plenty of boats that are day boats where the crew works 12 hours then goes home for the night.

[QUOTE=Ianmmd;59622]I think the day and a half is on it’s way out January 1st and a 12 hour day will only be counted as a day no matter what, just what I herd.[/QUOTE]

From the Coast Guard Marine Safety Manual (Volume III, Chapter 2, Section G.3: “Some inland vessels not subject to the 2 or 3 watch system have in place a 12 hour watch rotation. If the REC can verify such a schedule is practiced and legal, day and half credit may be granted.”

It’s funny how you bring up the safety manual. I know of several people that have brought this up to the NMC and said they do not go by the safety manual. So I guess your at the mercy of a manpower contract worker.

[QUOTE=“jdcavo;59637”]

QMEDS are not permitted to work 12 hours of watch per day per 46 U.S. Code Section 8104(g):

“On a towing vessel, an offshore supply vessel, or a barge to which this section applies, that is engaged on a voyage of less than 600 miles, the licensed individuals and crewmembers (except the coal passers, firemen, oilers, and water tenders) may be divided, when at sea, into at least 2 watches.” [emphasis added]

This section provides an exception to the rule in paragraph (d) of this section which provides “licensed individuals, sailors, coal passers, firemen, oilers, and water tenders shall be divided, when at sea, into at least 3 watches.” As the provision on two watches specifically excludes QMEDs, they must follow the general rule of 3 watches.

The above is implemented by 46 CFR 15.705©.[/QUOTE]

Question: Why does “at least three watches” mean eight hour days? Does any rule specially say (8) hours? A vessel could work four watches of twelve hours: 0000-1200, 0600-1800, 1200-2400, & 1800-2400. Thus the vessel has four separate watches (which meets the requirement of “at least three”) but still works twelve hour days. Anyone have a CFR or USC citation that I missed?

(Of course we all know the intent of the law is eight hours, that isn’t the question.)

You seem to be misconstrueing what a watch is. A three watch system means three separate watches per day. A 6 on six off is only two per day.

Uh oh, I was told that while working 12hr days as an “Oiler/Motorman III/4”, on a 2 watch system, on my Liberian registered drill ship I would be getting 1.5 days sea time per day. I believe the COI states that 2 oiler/motorman are needed. I’m also required to have a Liberian Seaman’s book. After reading this post I’m now concerned that maybe I will only be getting day for day. Anybody know for sure???

[QUOTE=“cappy208;93271”]You seem to be misconstrueing what a watch is. A three watch system means three separate watches per day. A 6 on six off is only two per day.[/QUOTE]

Again, I know the truth, but need a way to prove it.

I’m an oiler on osv’s in the GOM. And I work 12 hour days. Noon till midnight and there is a qmed on here who also works 12 hr days. Midnight till noon