Sea time, Time and Half

I am aware that there are numerous forums on here regarding time and a half. I am writing because I also am seeking to try to get time a half credit for my license upgrade to second mate. I work on a drillship and am on a 12on-12off watch schedule. I know that the CFR states that MODUs do not receive credit for time and a half, but with that being said I have heard of people recieving the credit for time and a half. I was wondering if anyone had any incite into how to word the letter or examples of this happening recently. Any help is appreciated.

You should only receive time and a half if the vessel is authorized to work a 2-watch system. The answer that yes or no question should explain…

If other people have gotten away with it that’s bullshit on the NMC.

Where’s my popcorn

Long live the United States MODU Marine!

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=MODUnorth;150061]I am aware that there are numerous forums on here regarding time and a half. I am writing because I also am seeking to try to get time a half credit for my license upgrade to second mate. I work on a drillship and am on a 12on-12off watch schedule. I know that the CFR states that MODUs do not receive credit for time and a half, but with that being said I have heard of people recieving the credit for time and a half. I was wondering if anyone had any incite into how to word the letter or examples of this happening recently. Any help is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

Directly asking for help to circumvent regulations you know to exist…
Great start for your career.

You are a ballsy piece of shit.

For normal vessels the letter has to expressly state from your employer your 12 hour day was in a “watch standing capacity.”

I’ve also heard that you can get away with running stop signs from time to time also. BUT, don’t count on it. Seriously. You have the proof of whats ‘legal’. It says NO in the CFR. So the answer is… Not maybe if you can write it correctly. This isn’t even a grey area. MODUs are not allowed to gain credit for 1.5 days per day. The only vessels that I know of that are allowed to have 1.5 for 1 seatime are ones that are NOT subject to the ‘Officers Competency Act of 1936’. Meaning, Uninspected Towing vessels, either UNDER 200 tons, OR Over 200 tons operating inshore of the demarcation line.

These vessels are specifically exempted from the OCA '36 by reference. Stinks, don’t it? I know several guys have snuck one through the evaluators at the RECs. But the one thing about the centralized system in Martinsville is: They are all pretty much getting on the same page. Not that I agree with the pages they are on most of the time, just that they are making similar decisions.

Truth be told, it is all in HOW your seaservice letter is written that makes the difference in how it is accepted (or rejected). If you have an office that ‘knows’ how to write the letter, it is one thing. But what they ‘think’ they know is not necessarily what they are actually competent in performing!

Will the USCG except DPO sea service towards upgrade