Master At Chouest offshore

This is what happens when someone with a very modest education tries to interpret the law. Laws are not given a literal interpretation when that does not make sense and would defeat the purpose of the law. Laws are interpreted in context with their purpose, public policy, and reason.

But Iā€™m used of that the Nmc does the same thing youā€™ll get one evaluator thatā€™s going to be nice and help people from down here the rest is not worth a crap

What a clown show this thread is. And what a disappointment to the US professional trades as a whole. Our governing body cant even figure out how to issue our licensure correctly and legally.

Side note they are hiring deck licensing coordinators at the NMC right now. Starting pay is $95,000 I believe? Of coure you have to move to Egypt, WV. Can somebody from the forums take one for the team and go clean house up there?

1 Like

Iā€™d be shocked if they are paying starting evaluators over $45,000, with no moving allowance.

Thatā€™s probably why the quality is so low and the turnover is so high. I suspect that many NMC evaluators spend most of their time looking for better jobs.

At $95,000 many people graduating from law school (they graduate twice as many people as there are legal jobs) would be very interested.

I sat in the office of a major OSV operator, not long before the down turn while doing some paperwork, and watched them actively head hunting tugboat guys from the northeast. Not returning calls, or emails, but actively searching them out on social media.

Yeah, Yankees had so much trouble getting jobs down there.

This job announcement is not for an evaluator position. Itā€™s for the head of the deck exam team. Itā€™s several pay grades higher than an evaluator and in a different division from the one that handles application evaluations.

Every little bit helps, ya knowā€¦

Minimum requirement for the job is holding, or having held, a license as Chief Mate Unlimited (or the military equivalent).

Iā€™ll do it!! Iā€™m ready to get off the water anyway.

Reminds me of the time when I went back to Houston Marine in Houston, Texas to study for my 500 ton back in the mid eighties. I initially studied there for my 100 ton several years earlier. The girls at Houston Marine kept asking me if the Coast Guard officer that signed my license was good looking. I asked why. They said that he got caught signing licenses for a husband wife team that had a school in Sabine, Texas in exchange for sex with the wife. Guess anyone could wind up on the dark side if their addictions are fulfilled.

as much as I loathe the stinking rotting cesspool of a swamp that is Louisiana, I loathe people like you even more

now just why donā€™t you just EFF OFF and dieā€¦please?

1 Like

Tell him how you really feel, Scooterā€¦

1 Like

I love how even with all the vitriol and hate you end with please. Are you Canadian?

4 Likes

I so hoped you would join us in this thread.

3 Likes

Iā€™m surprised this got by you @c.captainā€¦

2 Likes

Better make sure you have enough experience as a government bureaucrat. They disqualify most people right off the bat if you donā€™t have GS (Government Service) experience at a certain level BEFORE they check you license level. This is another thing I am working on getting change. We need people with practical experience running these programs not career bureaucrats which is who runs the Licensing branch of the USCG. See a problem there everybody?

Thatā€™s not true, Iā€™ve bolded the operative word below:

ā€œApplicants should have at least one year of specialized experience at or equivalent to the GS-12 level in the Federal service.ā€

1 Like

We need a USCG licensing office in every coastal state where mariners and/or their license consultants can make an appointment to meet in person with the evaluator responsible for processing their applications.

There should also be a USCG express licensing service where mariners can pay an extra fee, letā€™s say $1,000, for a guaranteed final decision within 3 days by the most senior and experienced evaluators.

1 Like

Maybe I should stay out of this, but I think you need to change your system to where both the ā€œCoal Minerā€™s Daughtersā€ and the ā€œLicense Consultantsā€ were out of work/business.
By doing away with most of the ā€œdomestic onlyā€ licenses, except maybe strictly for small crafts in purely river and inland water trade and adopt the STCW standard for all else. I cannot think of any other country that have so many different licences and ways of obtaining them.

Oh, and by adopting GT as the ONLY measurement of Gross Tonnage the system could be modified and made ā€œuser friendlyā€ with much less resources and confusion.

I would also recommend taking the mercantile fleet out of the hands of the USCG, thus get civilians with relevant education and experience to regulate the USMM and inspect foreign vessels calling at US ports.
Let the Coast Guard and Navy do the things they are supposedly good at.

5 Likes

Yes yes yes yes yes!! Dammit yes!

2 Likes