Worst captains in the GOM

Hello All, I would like to hear from captains who are working out of the oilfield ports in the GOM. I am sick and tired of dealing with ‘‘foreign’’ shrimp boats that do not answer the radio,obey the rules of the road or display the proper if any nav lights. It it only a matter of time before there is a serious accident because of this. It seems the Coast Guard does not care about doing anything about it. If anyone has any ideas on how to address this i would like to hear you ideas.

When I read the title “Worst Captain in the GOM” I thought you might have meant Anchorman. According to Capt Lee Anchorman made the worst Latte in the GOM

I would not get my hopes up!! Nor would I hold my breath waiting on the USCG to do anything about it. When the serious accident occurs they will investigate, find someone at fault and it will go right back to the way it has always been working out of Oilfield Ports.

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;51496]When I read the title “Worst Captain in the GOM” I thought you might have meant Anchorman. According to Capt Lee Anchorman made the worst Latte in the GOM[/QUOTE]

Not me, I’ve been Captain less than a year. It takes time and effort to be the worst in anything, you actually have to TRY.

[QUOTE=anchorman;51509]Not me, I’ve been Captain less than a year. It takes time and effort to be the worst in anything, you actually have to TRY.[/QUOTE]

for some of us it just naturally,my ex wife said I was the worst,not sure what I was the worst at but according to her “it was the worst”

other than the ‘‘foreign’’ shrimp boat captains, there is a captain known as ‘‘Skinny Stick’’ that is high up on the list.

I’m not sure about worst captains (plural) but I hear the worst captain (singular) slot has been open for a few weeks since Capt. Bill Preston was run off Pride’s latest drillship.

unlicensed captains of fishing vessels really have nothing to lose. no incentive to follow the rules, most run around with alchohol and drugs on the boat. so the CG could start there. if you have an incident with a fishing vessel you could be under heavier scrutiny because you are carrying USCG documents. yes it is a matter of time…

I seem to recall a certain Captain Bouzigard as ECO being quite the model ship’s master…

[QUOTE=c.captain;51591]I seem to recall a certain Captain Bouzigard as ECO being quite the model ship’s master…

NOT![/QUOTE]

That is one hell of a remark toward someone in bad health. How long did you work with Captain Russel?

[QUOTE=anchorman;51609]That is one hell of a remark toward someone in bad health. How long did you work with Captain Russel?[/QUOTE]

Never did but know one man quite well who was with him on both the CORY and the NATE PALMER. I have heard about his relationships with the Navy and NSF and trust my source.

Regarding the bad health of the man, nobody should face bad health in life and for that I am sorry but it is an epidemic in the South. That’s just statistics.

Don’t want to pick a fight here so will retract my statement and refrain from further comments on Capt. Bouzigard.

Hey there c.captain, just wanted to say that not everything you hear about someone will always be correct, especially when discussing the merits of a particular captain with a former subordinate. Let me add that Captain Russell was one of the best ‘old school’ captains you’d ever want to meet. If your weren’t afraid to work hard and stick up for yourself, he’d acknowledge you and help you in any way he could… but if you were a slacker, or someone who had no business working on a vessel in the first place, well then, undoubtably Captain Russell would offer suggestions on how to improve yourself as a man and as a sailor. By the way, you don’t have the spelling of his last name correct.

[QUOTE=seacomber;51590]unlicensed captains of fishing vessels really have nothing to lose. no incentive to follow the rules, most run around with alchohol and drugs on the boat. so the CG could start there. if you have an incident with a fishing vessel you could be under heavier scrutiny because you are carrying USCG documents. yes it is a matter of time…[/QUOTE]

[SIZE=2][B]Yes they do[/SIZE]. Fishing is all that some of them have done all their lives. I made a comment one time, when the owner/captain of the boat I was on, replied with something that will always stick with me. He said, “You know, [/B][B][I]you[/B][/I][B] can step off this boat[/B][B][I] anytime[/B][/I][B]” meaning, I had other skills and some education / experience that I could use elsewhere, and the one I made a comment about,… couldn’t. I still regret to this day.[/B]
[B]
I understand the frustration of working with the ones that don’t answer the radio, use drugs, etc. I myself believe that they aren’t going to be in the industry much longer anyway. That’s another long theory but, for example, why isn’t the government spending any money on the training education or certification? can’t teach old dogs new tricks? Well their not worth it, it’s easier to let them and their short heritage all die out, we get plenty of foreign imports anyway, and the Coast guard, among others, are at an impasse anyway.

America does not demand what the American boat, with American captain, and food from American waters has to offer,… it’s too expensive. Well dugh! I won’t get started on the fuel price among other things, restrictions, regulations etc.

I can say I was proud to work on the Shrimp boat I was on, and fishing with other boats that held same values and had fun like we did.
Even though I got treated like a crackwhore (after I told someone what I was doing for a living) and you name it, by some that had no clue about the industry, some of the people, and history involved. But the same a$$holes want to hit on you at the bar when your in skirt and heels,… I LOVED shooting that down in flames. “Heavy scrutiny” - my a$$ lol

Anyway, I was told by the “old school” guys how bad the Americans treated foreign crews decades ago, screwing them in their small wooden boats, and was told that is was basically pay-back time for many because of what a few jerks did many years ago. Even if it’s not devious acts, you can look and see who is getting subsidized by Caterpillar, running multi-million dollar boats, and have all the money. It’s not the Americans with any foreign/minority blood.

Time on that vessel was giving me the hours needed apply/upgrade to 200 ton, and I learned a lot. I’m not happy with all that goes on, for the same reasons, but you look at any other industry, and you will find millions of dollars in funding, for education, training, rehab, and everything but getting your a$$ wiped for you.

As for ones irritation of “foreign” chatter on the radio, I’ll never forget the silence after Captain Clark’s comment to some Asians non-stop talking. He said " Why don’t you learn how to speak English" in a really rude manner,… and the guy came back " Fu_k you, mother fu_ker"… "Is that enough English for ya ? ! " I’m sorry we all had to laugh : )

I could go off on a hundred tangents with this topic, but there are some of us that enjoyed, and respected what we did/do, and respected what [I]everyone else[/I] on the water did, even if we didn’t know exactly what it was.

I don’t take any offense to what anyone says here, just letting you know not all are bad, most of the cool ones I know are dead, and they took a lot with them.

Some of you will always have the time to gripe, and none to learn. In the meantime, send me [/B][B][I]your [/B][/I][B]money, so I can continue to promote a semi-universal understanding of all what goes on, not just on your watch. [/B]

[B]I don’t have a position with a regulatory body regarding, but I [I]have [/I]taken time, other than this thread, to give some imput and suggestions for improving, to those who do.
[/B]

[QUOTE=c.captain;51621]Never did but know one man quite well who was with him on both the CORY and the NATE PALMER. I have heard about his relationships with the Navy and NSF and trust my source.

Regarding the bad health of the man, nobody should face bad health in life and for that I am sorry but it is an epidemic in the South. That’s just statistics.

Don’t want to pick a fight here so will retract my statement and refrain from further comments on Capt. Bouzigard.[/QUOTE]

You don’t wanna pick a fight, but you flame someone on a public forum BY NAME and you have absolutely zero firsthand knowledge. Come on, I know you are not trying to win any popularity contests on here and you seem to enjoy stirring the pot, as do we all, but damn bro. Anchorman, bring down the banhammer!

[QUOTE=c.captain;51621]

Regarding the bad health of the man, nobody should face bad health in life and for that I am sorry but it is an epidemic in the South. That’s just statistics.[/QUOTE]

Did you just say old age is an epidemic in the South?..ummm…OK!

[QUOTE=Diesel;51648]You don’t wanna pick a fight, but you flame [B]<------- [COLOR=blue]now that is funny !!! [/COLOR][/B]someone on a public forum BY NAME and you have absolutely zero firsthand knowledge. Come on, I know you are not trying to win any popularity contests on here and you seem to enjoy stirring the pot, as do we all, but damn bro. Anchorman, bring down the banhammer![/QUOTE].

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;51652].

…[/QUOTE]

Lady…You Bad…LOL

Although many here believe otherwise…I know when I am wrong and can admit it when I am. I should not have made that post and retract my ill intentioned words. I apologize to all who were offended by them.

[QUOTE=c.captain;51666]Although many here believe otherwise…I know when I am wrong and can admit it when I am. I should not have made that post and retract my ill intentioned words. I apologize to all who were offended by them.[/QUOTE]

Right On. No worries.

[QUOTE=Neptune’s Car;51633]Hey there c.captain, just wanted to say that not everything you hear about someone will always be correct, especially when discussing the merits of a particular captain with a former subordinate. Let me add that Captain Russell was one of the best ‘old school’ captains you’d ever want to meet. If your weren’t afraid to work hard and stick up for yourself, he’d acknowledge you and help you in any way he could… but if you were a slacker, or someone who had no business working on a vessel in the first place, well then, undoubtably Captain Russell would offer suggestions on how to improve yourself as a man and as a sailor. By the way, you don’t have the spelling of his last name correct.[/QUOTE]

Neptune’s Car, sounds like you sailed with him. I sailed with him almost a year on the Cory, and I heard the stories prior to me embarking. I am sure some were true and some were b.s… And as you said, you did your job, he did not mess with you. But I can tell you, he is one of the best captains I have sailed with. When he made a decision, you had no doubt in your head, it was the right decision. Only hope his health improves.