Working on Factory Trawlers

I’ve been through a few old threads talking briefly about some of the operators of large factory trawlers like Icicle, Premier Pacific, Aleutian Spray and others, but I haven’t been able to find much about what being a mate/master on such a vessel is all about. Anyone out there with past or present experience that cares to give some insight?

those jobs aren’t available to mortals…

except for Fishing Company of Alaska but no human should ever have to work for the likes of them…they are the TAL of Alaskan fishing!

btw, Icicle and Premier Pacific don’t actually have any trawlers themselves but motherships. The companies with factory trawlers are Trident, American, Glacier, Starward, etc…

[QUOTE=c.captain;154325]those jobs aren’t available to mortals…[/QUOTE]

Pardon my naivete, just a lowly cadet here, but can you elaborate? Is this a nepotism thing, low turnover, or something else entirely?

[QUOTE=c.captain;154325]btw, Icicle and Premier Pacific don’t actually have any trawlers themselves but motherships. The companies with factory trawlers are Trident, American, Glacier, Starward, etc…[/QUOTE]

Ah, good to know. Thanks for the clarification!

It’s hard to get in 1- the fleet is not that big for the big factory ships. 2- most of the guys upstairs have worked those ships for years in the fishing industry it’s like being a pilot.

American Seafoods recruits at the academies and takes on a few cadets. At least they have in the past.