Working in the Persian Gulf

I am getting inquires from recruiters about jobs in the Persian Gulf. Would anyone with recent experience in the Persian Gulf care to describe what its like to work over there?

I didn’t like it, but then I was in the army!!

You work in the Persian Gulf for one reason only; to bank money.

You don’t pay any US income tax on the first $99,000 you make. Those countries over there don’t have income tax, so you don’t pay that. It used to be very popular for guys truing to save up the down payment for a house in the US.

Companies often supply housing, so cost of living is just about nothing. When you’re not working, be prepared to be pretty bored. There’s nothing to do. The country you’re based in is also important. Saudi is the worst, basically living in a compound of westerners. Bahrain used to be okay but has gotten more islamic. Down in the UAE, it can be good, like Dubai, or a total shit hole.

The one bad thing about the US tax free thing is that you’re very limited in the amount of time you can spend back in the US on vacation, etc. If you stay longer you become liable for the US income tax.

Again, it’s all about banking money. Don’t expect any pleasure.

calm seas, oil rigs, high traffic, hazy, hot and channel 16 is filled with crap. jebel ali is the best port, minutes from dubai, bahrain is better than any port outside of the persian gulf, say fujairah or djibouti.

What tug company is looking for people in the Persian Gulf?

Arab folks refer to it as the Arabian Gulf, or The Gulf. You might want to do the same if you wind up there.

I started sailing to the Persian Gulf during the first Gulf War. I hated it then and wished I would never go back. I ended up back there every year for about 20 years. I am thankful that I am on a ship that will never end up in the Middle East.

It is crazy hot in the summer. Think of temps 120+ during the day. It cools down to about 100 at night.

The people there are completely insane. Some have speculated that the sun/heat bakes their brains…

Would you care to share any stories about the crazy people there?

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;146850]Would you care to share any stories about the crazy people there?[/QUOTE]

A quick one… I was flying out of Dubai and there were flight cancellations due to weather. Everybody had to go to the transfer desk to make other arrangements. Two Iranian women were literally wrestling for position behind me. They both ended up down on the floor trying to pin each other. This went on for at least 15 minutes…The only thing I could think was “WTF, All that to move up one place in line?”

[QUOTE=tugsailor;146823]I am getting inquires from recruiters about jobs in the Persian Gulf. Would anyone with recent experience in the Persian Gulf care to describe what its like to work over there?[/QUOTE]

Depends if you are working for an international firm, a big regional firm or something run by locals.

If international or regional firm it is fine, but think hot like you never knew it could be.
If local, best check it out carefully. Must have a high tolerance for bs, misdirection and lack of decisions. Beyond that it is fine.

In the PG it’s more about getting the ship from point A to point B and not so much worry about regulations as elsewhere. It’s got a little bit of a Wild West feel to it. Very little hassle from Port State Control or officials and the like with the exception of Saudi Arabia which is better then it used to be.

Going ashore depends upon which country and which port.

There is a lot of calm days or days with just a sea/land breeze but in the summer the Shamal (dry North West wind) can get strong (25+ kts) enough to close some ports to large ships and put some sand in the air. Temps in the winter are not bad. The heat in the summer is generally tolerable but can be brutal some days, particularly in direct sun.

Overall not bad, having connections etc makes things easier like many places.