Working in Singapore?

Has anyone come across American citizens working on towing vessels or OSVs in Singapore or otherwise in SE Asia?

Is anyone aware of what US based companies operate there with their own people?

I haven’t been there in five years, but didn’t see any American OSV’s or tugs while I was there. Even at Sembawang Navy Base the tugs were locally flagged with guest workers onboard. Lots of Indonesians. They work cheap.

Tidewater used to have plenty of boats in South Asia. Nothing US flagged though.

You are right, Capt Rob. I saw American OWNED vessels. Just none that had Americans onboard.

plenty of local and foreign companies use expat captains
Always had a mixed bridge when I worked on AHTS’s for a singapore company
thats a tax free job here.

[QUOTE=powerabout;131453]plenty of local and foreign companies use expat captains
thats a tax free job here.[/QUOTE]
Yeah, but do they make more than the going rate for an Indonesian or a Bangladeshi?

YES
if the boat has a simple job they will have a simple cheap captain, when they need some intelligence on board they pay the going rate for an expat.
As Americans have to pay tax no matter where they are you can earn more in the GoM but for everybody else in the world they earn more when away from home.

[QUOTE=powerabout;131453]plenty of local and foreign companies use expat captains
thats a tax free job here.[/QUOTE]
So who did you work for?
Which companies would be most likely to hire Americans.

[QUOTE=PLM;132137]So who did you work for?
Which companies would be most likely to hire Americans.[/QUOTE]

Swiber (sic) looks for American Captains for their tugs, normally around 1K per day is the going rate.
Resolve has couple tugs in Singapore, I believe they prefer American Captains, not sure on the day rate though