Captain licensed in Singapore

Hi there:

My fiancé is thinking about moving to the US soon. He graduated from Dalian Maritime University in 1988 and has worked for different lines ever since. He works for a Taiwanese company now and certified by Singapore.

Is it difficult for him to land a job without any experience in the US? I may move back to China if it does not work out but I prefer not to since I want my son to receive his education in the US.

Any advice would be highly appreciated. Than you all very much,

Feili

He’s not going to work for any American company without an American license and he isn’t going to get an American license without being an American citizen.

not quite,
how about just a US flagged vessel which is what to will be in US waters due to the Jones act, but then again, quite a few foreign vessels working in the GoM these days
PS I dont think a US education is any cheaper for a local than a foreigner is it?

[QUOTE=powerabout;138421]not quite,
how about just a US flagged vessel which is what to will be in US waters due to the Jones act, but then again, quite a few foreign vessels working in the GoM these days
PS I dont think a US education is any cheaper for a local than a foreigner is it?[/QUOTE]

There is not really any more furen flag vessels in the GOM now than there ever has been, the number is probably around 15 to 20 not counting drilling rigs. Out of the furen hulls that are in the GOM probably 90% of the officers are from Norway.

Thanks Rob , my comment ‘quite a few’, 20 is a lot when technically there shouldn’t be any?