Was with the D.O.D. now signing up for the SIU Academy

Hello everyone. New guy here looking for some general info and to learn the ropes of the game. A little about me, I was with the DOD and now that contracts are getting harder to come by, an acquaintance suggested that I join the Merchant Mariners. He was with the SIU and told me to give them a call and so I did. Right now I’m doing part 2 of the application for the Unlicensed Apprentice Program. I need to get a physical, disease report, dentist check up, drug test, and get my twic card and mmc card a long with some other stuff.

My question is, is the SIU a good school? I’m in Jacksonville Florida, are there other options? ’ I’m in my mid to late 30’s, am I too old to see decent advancement? I made great money with the DOD, $120K+ year, is the money comparable?

Looking forward to talking to everyone!

Going from a $120,000.00 year job to sailing as Unlicensed is going to cause a big hit in your wallet. If for you decide to make a career of going to sea you will be able to work your way up but it will take time.

What are your reasons to want to go to sea? Doing this for a living is not for everyone. You need to be able to walk away from your life ashore. This is a tough thing to do for a lot of people. For me, I loved being at sea and miss it everyday as I am now retired.

I wish you the best of luck.

Your not too old now, but your a long way from pulling a decent pension from SIU. You wont make 120k without a license. Maybe if you sailed electrician or QMED for 12 months working 7 days a week and 12 to 14 hours a day.

[QUOTE=Tugs;97556]Going from a $120,000.00 year job to sailing as Unlicensed is going to cause a big hit in your wallet. If for you decide to make a career of going to sea you will be able to work your way up but it will take time.

What are your reasons to want to go to sea? Doing this for a living is not for everyone. You need to be able to walk away from your life ashore. This is a tough thing to do for a lot of people. For me, I loved being at sea and miss it everyday as I am now retired.

I wish you the best of luck.[/QUOTE]

Well I don’t see too much of a difference between leaving home for war torn Iraq or Afghanistan for a year or going out to sea for a year, except that going out to sea is safer and no one is shooting at you, lol… I love this kind of vagabond and since I don’t have family to come back home to, it works out :wink:

I really didn’t expect the kind of $$$ that I was making with the D.O.D. right off the get go, but what is the typical income for someone coming out of the SIU with a B book? What department offers the best money? And on a side note, I love cooking and I ran a DEFAC over in Afghanistan and Africa on the Marine base and Airforce base; what do the cook or galley crew make?

Thanks everyone!

Just bumping for conversation :wink:

You made 120k as a cook? No wonder my taxes are sky high.

I don’t know what the cooks make for sure. But a good, reliable cook is golden to a company. While you will hit an upper limit to the pay you won’t have to deal with all the paperwork/training that the other departments need to advance.

Just don’t be that fat shirtless cook that I remember, I watched the sweat roll off his body and drip onto the griddle while he made breakfast. And stay out of the rumor mill.

He got paid $100 just for being in Afghanistan and was paid another $20 for cooking.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;98015]You made 120k as a cook? No wonder my taxes are sky high.[/QUOTE]

Well seeing how I about bought it more times than I can count, $120 wasn’t too bad. I was almost kllled twice due to IEDs - one was planed less than 10 feet from the hooch, where I was sleeping at the time; would have kill all of us and then some if the security detail didn’t find it. And the second time in my very own DEFAC; someone placed a backpack in the corner, behind some chairs. Luckaly someone saw the hidden bag and reported it. Then countless time we were getting shot at and mortar attacked. Nothing like waking up at 4am,by the BIG VOICE yelling, then diving for the fortified bunkers. lol… I LOVED IT!!! I want to go back so badly, but they are giving all the 3rd world nationals the contracts. Talk about waste of your U.S. tax dollars! At least when I was there, they were mosting going to U.S. ExPat, now they go to more 3rd world Nat. than anyone else, since all they have to pay them is $25K vs our $120K.

[QUOTE=seriously;98017]I don’t know what the cooks make for sure. But a good, reliable cook is golden to a company. While you will hit an upper limit to the pay you won’t have to deal with all the paperwork/training that the other departments need to advance.

Just don’t be that fat shirtless cook that I remember, I watched the sweat roll off his body and drip onto the griddle while he made breakfast. And stay out of the rumor mill.[/QUOTE]

LMAO… Oh HELL NO Bro! I am meticulous when it comes to the area that I cook and eat in! If I didn’t wash the plate and utensils, I’m about to eat with, I’ll wash them myself to make sure they are clean!!! :wink:

As for pay, does anyone know the entry level and additional tier pay for cooks? What do they max out to? I have no problem working in the engine room, I was told that’s where the good money is at. Since we’re on Departments and Salaries, what is the best department vs salaries option? What DEPT is the quickest climb with the best pay?

[QUOTE=tugsailor;98018]He got paid $100 just for being in Afghanistan and was paid another $20 for cooking.[/QUOTE]

About right! The uplift and hazard pay is where the money really started to accumulate. Plus I did other things while I was there. They really just place you where they need you, depending on your background. I have a background in executive body guarding and weapons use, Corp management, etc so my job changed to suit their current needs, as they arise.