Working beyond 28 days

Can my employer force me to work 2 extra weeks beyound my 28 days to get on a new rotation that is more convenient for the coordinator?

unless the company you are referring to is the military you have choices. Tell them you can’t/won’t do it and either work out another way to switch rotations or if it is that much of problem they you always have the option to tell them with your feet.

Not sure exactly what the culture is in the workboat world, but a few general rules probably apply.

1. Is it truly inconvenient for you? I suspect it is or you wouldn’t be asking. If you have something scheduled at home, then tell the office that, hopefully they understand. Perhaps even suggest that you can’t switch rotations this time, but next time you could. If they can’t/won’t understand, then is that an outfit you really want to work for?
  2. Is it something that’s written in a contract somewhere? If you have an actual contract that says 28 days, then you have more leverage. Otherwise you probably don’t have a whole lot to stand on unless you’re absolutely sure they’re not going to can you.
  3. If it’s not something more than a minor inconvenience for you, then I say go ahead and stay. Obviously family and time at home is important, but a couple extra weeks of wage never hurts, and more importantly it never hurts to have some goodwill built up with the crewing coordinator. Then, sometime when you need a favor from them, you can point back at this situation and gently remind them that you did them a solid. If your crewing coordinator isn’t the sort to remember that, once again think about whether this is an outfit worth working for.
  4. As dredge said, there may be a creative solution to the issue.

Its a company that uses a lot of orange paint… anyway quitting is not an option I worked hard to get to this position. But I would like to know if there are other ways such as laws or company policies

I don’t think any laws apply other than contract law. You would be in a better position to know company policy on the matter, and if it’s the company themselves asking you to do this then either there isn’t a policy, or they’re ignoring their own policies, and a lot of outfits don’t like having their own rules pointed out to them.

[QUOTE=“awulfclark;120758”]

1. If it’s not something more than a minor inconvenience for you, then I say go ahead and stay. Obviously family and time at home is important, but a couple extra weeks of wage never hurts, [/QUOTE]

The extra wage is the only thing keeping me from being lets say “Unprofessional”

Another thought occurred to me: you could suggest doing an extra week now and a week next time around–assuming your schedule allows for that.

It’s a tough position to be in, no doubt about it.

Sounds pretty simple to me. Do it or don’t. Your choice.

[QUOTE=boatengineer;120764]Sounds pretty simple to me. Do it or don’t. Your choice.[/QUOTE]

Yup sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. It sucks but thats what it is.

[QUOTE=Bayrunner;120766]Yup sometimes you just have to grin and bear it. It sucks but thats what it is.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, I know that I used to have to work over my regular rotation because of ports, relief either quitting or getting fired, come back early for the same. I was supposed to be working a 28/28 schedule with one company, but in the four years I was there, I pretty much averaged working more than 9 months a year.

Get off the boat on your normal crew change day and enjoy your time at home until you need to go back to get on your new rotation.

No they can’t. They can’t even force you to come to work. Now stop crying and work 2 weeks to get on the right rotation.

Am I hallucinating, or have things gotten this boo-hoo stupid? Get a grip, work or walk! … Next!

He could have told you to stay home until the rotation worked out to come back. How bout them apples?

[QUOTE=Capt_Coolness;120759]Its a company that uses a lot of orange paint… anyway quitting is not an option I worked hard to get to this position. But I would like to know if there are other ways such as laws or company policies[/QUOTE]

Understand you worked hard to get where you are, and now complaining about having to work over? Get a grip man, I really don’t know or care who uses a lot of orange paint but sounds like you are not being too “capt coolness” about this one

Be nice to the fella, he is a 200 ton AB Unlimited.

At Florida Marine, if personnel asked you to work over, you got double day rate for the fourteen days that you worked over. Maybe your company has a similar policy that you could ask about.

Yeahhhhh ask away, let us know how you make out with that.

At double day rate pay, I’d put a hit out on my relief!

[QUOTE=Capt_Coolness;120756]Can my employer force me to work 2 extra weeks beyound my 28 days to get on a new rotation that is more convenient for the coordinator?[/QUOTE]

Your company can’t force you to work 2 extra weeks. But if the vessel needs a new schedule which requires flexibility amongst the crew then it’s a give and take situation. One thing the shore side staff forgets very quickly is that the vessel employees have a life outside of working all the time. And the vessel employees forget real quick that to make some things work it requires people working over or going home early.

Louisiana is a right to work state so your coordinator may let you go if you don’t do as he wants. It’s not right but its the reality of things in this state/business. If you do work over make sure you remind your coordinator that he owes you a favor down the road and you expect him to come thru on it. In my shore side experience a lot of these coordinators are under a lot of pressure, have one of the harder jobs but also can be very difficult to deal with due to their power trips they seem to have. Although many do a good a job and make things work seamlessly and its a thankless job.