Workboat Mate Program

Thinking very seriously about entering the workboat mate program at MITAGS. I have been working on deck sailing western rivers with Ingram Barge for the past 2 years and want to make a move offshore. I currently hold a 50 ton inland master 50 ton near coastal mate license, but have no offshore deck experience with a commercial company. Anyone graduated from the program? and if so, what did you think about it? and were you able to become employed with your sponsor company after graduation? Thanks for the Information

I did, it’s a great program. The company that I sailed with was in a hiring freeze when I finally got my license - this was during the dark days of the REC to NMC conversion. Home for another 9 days before I sail again, PM me if you have more questions.
MTSKIER
If it’s snowin’, I’m goin’!

[QUOTE=Bcooksey;45811]Thinking very seriously about entering the workboat mate program at MITAGS. I have been working on deck sailing western rivers with Ingram Barge for the past 2 years and want to make a move offshore. I currently hold a 50 ton inland master 50 ton near coastal mate license, but have no offshore deck experience with a commercial company. Anyone graduated from the program? and if so, what did you think about it? and were you able to become employed with your sponsor company after graduation? Thanks for the Information[/QUOTE]

I was part of the team which developed the Workboat Mate program at PMI. It is a very good way to prepare highly qualified entry-level mates for work in the industry. It is no walk in the park, on the contrary it is very challenging. Those who meet the challenge have gone on to successful careers, and are highly regarded by their peers in the industry. If you have any questions feel free to ask.

I’m not posting in an attempt to sell you on the program, by the way. Even MITAGS-PMI will do a thorough job of trying to talk you out of it before they invite you to participate.