Work in the GOM

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;158148]Nah, 40 years in the GoM is a sign of Being CONTROLLED![/QUOTE]

I certainly hope that everyone will note that I didn’t write this…

Duly noted. I couldn’t help but laugh though. I am sure our newfound board member Oil Is Evil lives completely off the land in a home made completely from hand tools made by hand, posting on gCaptain from a stone tablet while sitting on his donkey so as to be completely untouched by the “evil” oil industry. Give me a break. That SN and avatar is just too much. Lol

Ad Hominem
Ad Hominem Definition

Ad hominem (Latin) means “against the man”. As the name suggests, it is a literary term that involves commenting on or against an opponent to undermine him instead of his arguments.

There are cases where consciously or unconsciously people start to question the opponent or his personal association rather than evaluating the soundness and validity of the argument that he presents. These types of arguments are usually mistaken for personal insults but they are somehow different in nature and the distinction is very subtle.

Arguers who are not familiar with the principles of making logical arguments commonly end up saying something that would draw the audience’s attention to the distasteful characteristics of the individual. Such people use this fallacy as a tool to deceive their audience. Making such a blatant personal comment against somebody makes it hard for people to believe it isn’t true. Typically, even the arguer himself believes that such personal traits or circumstances are not enough to dispose of an individual’s opinion or argument. However, if looked at rationally, such arguments even if true never provide a valid reason to disregard someone’s criticism.

Sounds like a lawyer…perhaps an APMA board member…

Fraq on fraqRat

EAGLE FORD & ENERGY Big Oil pressured scientists in quake study By Benjamin Elgin and Matthew Philips, Bloomberg NewsMarch 30, 2015 0 Photo: Associated Press File Photo Image 2 of 2Austin Holland, research seismologist at the Oklahoma Geological Survey, hangs up a chart depicting earthquake activity at their offices at the University of Oklahoma in Norman, Okla. Recently released emails suggest a steady stream of industry pressure on scientists at the state office. IMAGE 1 OF 2 Chad Devereaux examines bricks that fell from three sides of his in-laws home in Sparks, Okla., after two earthquakes hit the area in less than 24 hours in 2011. Last year, Oklahoma passed California as the most seismically active state in the continental U.S. In November 2013, Austin Holland, Oklahoma’s state seismologist, got a request that made him nervous. It was from David Boren, president of the University of Oklahoma, which houses the Oklahoma Geological Survey, where Holland works. Boren, a former U.S. senator, asked Holland to his office for coffee with Harold Hamm, the billionaire founder of Continental Resources, one of Oklahoma’s largest oil and gas operators. Boren sits on the board of Continental, and Hamm is a big donor to the university, giving $20 million in 2011 for a new diabetes center. “It was just a little bit intimidating,” Holland said. Holland had been studying possible links between a rise in seismic activity in Oklahoma and the rapid increase in oil and gas production, the state’s largest industry. During the meeting, Hamm requested that Holland be careful when publicly discussing the possible connection between oil and gas operations and a big jump in the number of earthquakes, which geological researchers increasingly were tying to the underground disposal of oil and gas wastewater, a byproduct of the hydraulic fracturing boom that Continental has helped pioneer. “It was an expression of concern,” Holland said. MORE INFORMATION Details on that meeting and others have emerged in recent weeks as emails from the Geological Survey have been released through public records requests filed by Bloomberg and other media outlets. The emails suggest a steady stream of industry pressure on scientists at the state office. But oil companies say there’s nothing wrong with contact between executives and scientists. “The insinuation that there was something untoward that occurred in those meetings is both offensive and inaccurate,” Continental Resources spokeswoman Kristin Thomas said. “Upon its founding, the Oklahoma Geological Survey had a solid reputation of an agency that was accessible and of service to the community and industry in Oklahoma.” HEALTH CARE University Health chief exec scores another pay raise, bonus Express-News seeks Top Workplace nominations Texas retailers report sales declines, lower payrolls Union Pacific, FiberLight settle dispute Methane leaks drop despite increase in pipelines Student loan recipients go on repayment strike Fiber-optic cable project back on track Likewise, Boren says such conversations are harmless. “The meeting with Harold Hamm was purely informational,” Boren said in a statement. “Mr. Hamm is a very reputable producer and wanted to know if Mr. Holland had found any information which might be helpful to producers in adopting best practices that would help prevent any possible connection between drilling and seismic events.” Boren is also on the board of The Bloomberg Family Foundation, founded by Michael Bloomberg, the owner of Bloomberg LP. Before Holland became the state seismologist in 2010, there wasn’t much for Big Oil and state researchers to argue about. Over the previous 30 years, Oklahoma had averaged fewer than two earthquakes a year of at least 3.0 in magnitude. In 2015, the state is on pace for 875, according to Holland. One significant change in drilling practices comes at the same time as the increase in seismic activity: horizontal hydraulic fracturing. Fracking has been around for decades, but technological advances have allowed companies to drill sideways, injecting a high-pressure mix of water, mud and sand into shale formations deep underground, creating access to previously unreachable pockets of oil and gas. The rise of fracking has coincided with Oklahoma last year passing California as the most seismically active state in the continental United States. The Hamm and Boren meeting wasn’t the only such informational session. In an email from 2013, Holland updated his superiors on a meeting he had in the office of Patrice Douglas, then one of the three elected members of the Oklahoma Corporation Commission, which regulates that state’s oil and gas companies. Also at the meeting was Jack Stark, then-senior vice president for exploration at Continental and now its president. “The basic jist (sic) of the meeting is that Continental does not feel induced seismicity is an issue, and they are nervous about any dialog about the subject,” Holland wrote. Scientists, residents and some state lawmakers have been critical of state officials for their perceived slowness in drawing a connection between earthquakes and oil and gas activities. Over the past couple years, as research began to get published and many seismologists became convinced that earthquakes were being induced by wastewater disposal, the OGS remained on the fence. In early 2013, the academic journal Geology accepted a paper attributing a magnitude-5.6 quake that hit Oklahoma in 2011 to underground changes resulting from wastewater disposal wells. In March 2013, OGS put out its own statement, attributing the quake to “natural causes.” “This is a conflict of interest that we never before could’ve imagined,” says Jason Murphey, a Republican state representative from Logan County, which has been one of the most seismically active areas in the state over the past year. Today, as the number of earthquakes continues to soar, Holland has evolved in his position. He recently told Bloomberg that the vast majority of the increase in earthquakes is caused by the injection of oil and gas wastewater. Yet he bristles at any suggestion that industry pressure slowed him from reaching that conclusion.

What a great guy copy and posting all this shit

Land fracking and offshore fracking are not done exactly the same. Same basic principles but way different procedures. I don’t work on land, own an oil company or live in Oklahoma.

Takes all kinds these days…
Must be a real bitch to cut and paste on ye ole stone tablet.

Sounds an awful lot like a mate I knew with GSF that went to SeaDrill and decided he couldn’t stand the evil oil industry… really hope it’s not him though.

[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;158073]

Everyone seems focused on the day rate. There’s a lot more to it then that.[/QUOTE]

Only what I like to call the post hurricane Katrina OSV crowd seems to be so focused on day rates. When the day rates started jumping a hundred bucks a day over night, that is all you have heard since. This is not just people from the south either. before Katrina most of these same folks that only talk about day rates would not have been caught dead on an OSV. There are only two or maybe three companies that have any benefits to speak of, so there is not much else to talk about beside day rates. You notice you very rarely hear the drilling rig personal involved in these discussions.

Ok we are getting off topic, Work in the GOM is not where talk about fracking, or complain about oil. We use oil everyday, whether we know it or want to admit it. Rather the unprofessionalism most prevalent in the GOM. One can go work on a GOM vessel and the only way that person would know they did good or not was whether or not they got called to come back. Now we have more STCW classes to take, due to that unprofessionalism. If your knowledge , skills and abilities exceed that of your supervisor, but your evaluation is done by your supervisor. Do you really think your supervisor is going to put that in your eval? The reality of what happens is your supervisor slams you to avoid having to face his own Inadequacies / incompetent. The “joe boss” supports this misconduct too. GOM pay is where it is because it has to be. Any mariner with the potential to excel, would go anywhere else. There was a day when GOM captains were illiterate. While GOM sailors use the words honesty and integrity as punch lines, I live by those words. So if by not being able to “cut it” in the GOM, means having to adapt to using the words honesty and integrity as punch lines then I am or would be one of those who would not be able to “cut it” in the GOM. Can anyone GOM sailor HONESTLY tell me, that they have not witnessed, participated, or had any knowledge of an act of unprofessional conduct I have described above?
Oh yeah ; This thread is not intended to slam the practice of oil exploration, production, or the support services there of. I am a supporter of oil exploration, production, or the support services there of. Let’s see land based fracking caused an increase in seismic activity. B i G S U R P R i S E !! What happened when the land based fracking concluded. Let me guess the seismic activity declined. When I was a kid a “tree hugger” came up to me and pointed at an area I just rode and ATV over and said something like. It would take 20yrs. for that ground to return to the state it was in prior to my ride. I thought so what !! Then the more I thought about it, we’ll. I grew up somewhat rural among farmers who grew corn or soy beans. The plowing and planting and…The guy who said that “tree hugging” stuff, grew up in a city, and probably only saw pictures or movies about farming. So then I thought that guy does not have a clue…

GOM Mariners are dishonest and illiterate to fracking is bad to tree huggers and farmers? You sir are a frackin genius!!

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;158148]Nah, 40 years in the GoM is a sign of Being CONTROLLED![/QUOTE]

I will cry myself to sleep at night after reading that post.

Can I just say that I am in GOM because I ENJOY the work? Sure the higher day rates are nice to have, but that’s not the only reason I do this. I see many comment about loving their tug industry or blue water industry. I actually enjoy the oil industry for many reasons. I marvel at the scale of mans creations for this industry. The technology is great in my opinion. The consistent even time schedule I have is a blessing for me.

Sure, there might be better benefits out there. You shouldn’t have come to the GOM if you were only chasing the dollar.

Maybe one day I’ll decide to go elsewhere and peak my fancy. For now I’m enjoying my surroundings.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;158164]Land fracking and offshore fracking are not done exactly the same. Same basic principles but way different procedures. I don’t work on land, own an oil company or live in Oklahoma.[/QUOTE]

My BIL does land fracking. Texas/Oklahoma/PA areas

Very water intensive. He even admits it’s a wasteful technique but he likes to eat, so…there ya be.

But Wait! There’s More! What Chemicals Are Used in Fracking? This does NOT include the " trade secret" chemicals…

As previously noted, chemicals perform many functions in a hydraulic fracturing job. Although there are dozens to hundreds of chemicals which could be used as additives, there are a limited number which are routinely used in hydraulic fracturing. The following is a list of the chemicals used most often. This chart is sorted alphabetically by the Product Function to make it easier for you to compare to the fracturing records .

Chemical Name CAS Chemical Purpose Product Function
Hydrochloric Acid 007647-01-0 Helps dissolve minerals and initiate cracks in the rock Acid

Glutaraldehyde 000111-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 012125-02-9 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Quaternary Ammonium Chloride 061789-71-1 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide
Tetrakis Hydroxymethyl-Phosphonium Sulfate 055566-30-8 Eliminates bacteria in the water that produces corrosive by-products Biocide

Ammonium Persulfate 007727-54-0 Allows a delayed break down of the gel Breaker
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Product Stabilizer Breaker
Magnesium Peroxide 014452-57-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Magnesium Oxide 001309-48-4 Allows a delayed break down the gel Breaker
Calcium Chloride 010043-52-4 Product Stabilizer Breaker

Choline Chloride 000067-48-1 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Tetramethyl ammonium chloride 000075-57-0 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer
Sodium Chloride 007647-14-5 Prevents clays from swelling or shifting Clay Stabilizer

Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent Corrosion Inhibitor
Formic Acid 000064-18-6 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor
Acetaldehyde 000075-07-0 Prevents the corrosion of the pipe Corrosion Inhibitor

Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for borate or zirconate crosslinker Crosslinker
Potassium Metaborate 013709-94-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Triethanolamine Zirconate 101033-44-7 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Sodium Tetraborate 001303-96-4 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Boric Acid 001333-73-9 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Zirconium Complex 113184-20-6 Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Borate Salts N/A Maintains fluid viscosity as temperature increases Crosslinker
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Crosslinker

Polyacrylamide 009003-05-8 “Slicks” the water to minimize friction Friction Reducer
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for polyacrylamide friction reducer Friction Reducer
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Friction Reducer

Guar Gum 009000-30-0 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Petroleum Distillate 064741-85-1 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Hydrotreated Light Petroleum Distillate 064742-47-8 Carrier fluid for guar gum in liquid gels Gelling Agent
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent
Polysaccharide Blend 068130-15-4 Thickens the water in order to suspend the sand Gelling Agent
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Gelling Agent

Citric Acid 000077-92-9 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Thioglycolic Acid 000068-11-1 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control
Sodium Erythorbate 006381-77-7 Prevents precipitation of metal oxides Iron Control

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to prevent the formation of emulsions in the fracture fluid Non-Emulsifier
Isopropanol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier
Ethylene Glycol 000107-21-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Non-Emulsifier

Sodium Hydroxide 001310-73-2 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Hydroxide 001310-58-3 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Acetic Acid 000064-19-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Sodium Carbonate 000497-19-8 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent
Potassium Carbonate 000584-08-7 Adjusts the pH of fluid to maintains the effectiveness of other components, such as crosslinkers pH Adjusting Agent

Copolymer of Acrylamide and Sodium Acrylate 025987-30-8 Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Sodium Polycarboxylate N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor
Phosphonic Acid Salt N/A Prevents scale deposits in the pipe Scale Inhibitor

Lauryl Sulfate 000151-21-3 Used to increase the viscosity of the fracture fluid Surfactant
Ethanol 000064-17-5 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Naphthalene 000091-20-3 Carrier fluid for the active surfactant ingredients Surfactant
Methanol 000067-56-1 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
Isopropyl Alcohol 000067-63-0 Product stabilizer and / or winterizing agent. Surfactant
2-Butoxyethanol 000111-76-2 Product stabilizer Surfactant
One of the problems associated with identifying chemicals is that some chemicals have multiple names. For example Ethylene Glycol (Antifreeze) is also known by the names Ethylene alcohol; Glycol; Glycol alcohol; Lutrol 9; Macrogol 400 BPC; Monoethylene glycol; Ramp; Tescol; 1,2-Dihydroxyethane; 2-Hydroxyethanol; HOCH2CH2OH; Dihydroxyethane; Ethanediol; Ethylene gycol; Glygen; Athylenglykol; Ethane-1,2-diol; Fridex; M.e.g.; 1,2-Ethandiol; Ucar 17; Dowtherm SR 1; Norkool; Zerex; Aliphatic diol; Ilexan E; Ethane-1,2-diol 1,2-Ethanedio.

This multiplicity of names can make a search for chemicals somewhat difficult and frustrating. However, if you search for a chemical by the CAS number it will return the correct chemical even if the name on the fracturing record does not match. For example if the fracturing record listed the chemical Hydrogen chloride and you searched for it by name using a chemical search site you may not get a result. But if you search for CAS # 007647-01-0 it might return Hydrochloric acid which is another name of Hydrogen chloride. Therefore, by using the CAS number you can avoid the issue of multiple names for the same chemical.

Multiple names for the same chemical can also leave you with the impression that there are more chemicals than actually exist. If you search the National Institute of Standards and Technology (NIST) ‡ website the alternate names of chemicals are listed. This may help you identify the precise chemical you are looking for. The NIST site also contains the CAS numbers for chemicals. NIST is only one of many websites you can use to locate additional information about chemicals. You can also search the following websites using the chemical name or CAS number:

OSHA/EPA Occupational Chemical Database ‡

The Chemical Database ‡

EPA Chemical Fact Sheets ‡

[QUOTE=Oil_Is_Evil;158215]But Wait! There’s More! What Chemicals Are Used in Fracking? This does NOT include the " trade secret" chemicals… [/QUOTE]

A bit of friendly advice from an old campaigner, but you are coming across as a loonie treading down a loonie’s path. You need to cease and desist in your line of pursuit here as it will only lead to your eventual ruin and ultimate self demolition.

My suggestion is for you to take on Joe Boss’s corrupt practices endemic to the bayoo. You won’t win over any converts here in your quest but you’ll get a few “thanks” from me for your valiant but wasted efforts. These people here do not think right in the head and certainly do not appear to possess the ability to change. In such circumstances, a battle of attrition is the only hope but will take years and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part…

and you’re just the guy to do it!

[QUOTE=c.captain;158216]A bit of friendly advice from an old campaigner, but you are coming across as a loonie treading down a loonie’s path. You need to cease and desist in your line of pursuit here as it will only lead to your eventual ruin and ultimate self demolition.

My suggestion is for you to take on Joe Boss’s corrupt practices endemic to the bayoo. You won’t win over any converts here in your quest but you’ll get a few “thanks” from me for your valiant but ineffectual efforts. These people here do not think right in the head and certainly do not appear to possess the ability to change. In such circumstances, a battle of attrition is the only hope but will take years and cost millions of lives. No, in this case, I think we have to go all out. I think this situation absolutely requires a really futile and stupid gesture be done on somebody’s part…

and you’re just the guy to do it!

.[/QUOTE]

Yeah, but he’d be wasting seven years of college and a GPA of zero point zero! With those credentials he’s eminently qualified to run for Senate…

[QUOTE=catherder;158238]Yeah, but he’d be wasting seven years of college and a GPA of zero point zero! With those credentials he’s eminently qualified to run for Senate…[/QUOTE]

or be one dashing pirate

It’s OK, I’ll tell you a bedtime story. It’s a story about the Black Goo, a Giant Blob of Black Goo. It has a sulfur reek like the Devil Himself. It is incomprehensibly huge, its fumes are capable of destroying life as we know it. It rises, unstoppable, from the depths below. It Slithers UP the hull, through the scuppers. It creeps through the bilge and Ballast piping. It slithers through the shaft packings. Onward and upward it goes, down the stacks and vents and across the windows. The Plant is down, you are NUC. Every drop has a thousand red eyes of the birds you’ve killed, staring at you. Your vessel and your crew are swallowed and suffocating. Alarms are going off everywhere. Ambient O2 is 15% and falling. Sleepy, you are getting very, very Sleepy. Go to sleep now, 'Lil Scooter. You will awake alert and refreshed, and know your one true master.