From Alaska to the GOM

Hello all.
I have been reading gcaptain for quite some time and have a growing interest in the GOM. Currently I am employed and working a less than desirable schedule of 1/1. My employer does not pay for advanced training or travel expenses or allow me to work more than one week at a time. Many have told me how good I’ve got it but I believe there might be something better for me down there. I’m looking for an employer that allows the employees to work extra weeks and encourages/financially supports their workers to advance. I’d like to get on with one company and stay there many years. I suppose I’m just fed up with my current situation and wondering if the grass is really greener on the other side.
Thanks for reading.

-Sparks

I currently hold an AB limited with BST, Advanced Fire, Lifeboat, Fast Rescue Boat, and RFPNW.

I am also wondering the same thing.

[QUOTE=Sparks;115899]Currently I am employed and working a less than desirable schedule of 1/1.[/QUOTE]

Hell, if you want to work 2/1 then the GoM will be paradise for you. You can even apply to Mr. Tenner Cenec at Gulf Offshore Morons where he might consent to allowing you to work 3/1. I’ve even heard that at BaTBaBoCo* they let their hands work 28/0 without having to ever take time off so “dey can make sum o dat big offshoar munney”!

• dat be da Boudreaux and Thibodeaux Bayou Boat Company located down in da Bayou Dulac…you find dem in dat ol traylur on top of all dem ol ceement cindur bloks rite nex to dose ol shrimpbotes sitten on da bottum

two very satisfied employees at BaTBaBoCo who quit Gulf Offshore Morons
so they could never ever have to worry about going home mostly because they
couldn’t remember where they lived and their old ladies said if they ever returned
they’d get their asses killed!

sheesh…you’re an Alaskan mariner for Christ’s Sake! I’m downright embarrassed…you’re supposed to be smarter than this!

I’m interested in the bigger players that could offer me ocean time for an upgrade. I could get that here but it wouldn’t be worth it. With this schedule I would have to spend the next few years working with morons that can’t tell right from left. And once I’ve got the license I’d be forced to get a lot of pilotage before they would let me sail as mate. There future here is bleak.
Yes I was once in Seldovia. Didn’t last more than a few months though.
If I want ocean unlimited time and an employer who practices performance reviews and also offers room for advancement/upgrades is the gulf where I should look? I appreciate the response.

Yes it is. You need to pack up, be ready to go to sea immediately, come down here and start knocking on doors. The online stuff for the most part is useless. Search this site for more great information.

I will definitely be ready to go to sea immediately. I am thinking it would be best if I start knocking on doors close to one of the holidays. Partly because I want to have some cash to fall back on if it takes a long time to get hired and also because I’ve noticed mariners with families tend to want vacation around thanksgiving/Christmas. Maybe it isn’t like this down there with so many companies and sailors.
I will continue to search but if there is a thread on the benefits and schedule/pay of different companies down there maybe it could be posted here?
Thanks again

[QUOTE=Sparks;115925]but if there is a thread on the benefits and schedule/pay of different companies down there maybe it could be posted here?[/QUOTE]

just use the search function and you will find much of what you seek but you will not find exact pay levels…that is not widely discussed for obvious reasons.

This sums it up

[QUOTE=Sparks;115899]Hello all.
I have been reading gcaptain for quite some time and have a growing interest in the GOM. Currently I am employed and working a less than desirable schedule of 1/1. My employer does not pay for advanced training or travel expenses or allow me to work more than one week at a time. Many have told me how good I’ve got it but I believe there might be something better for me down there. I’m looking for an employer that allows the employees to work extra weeks and encourages/financially supports their workers to advance. I’d like to get on with one company and stay there many years. I suppose I’m just fed up with my current situation and wondering if the grass is really greener on the other side.
Thanks for reading.

-Sparks[/QUOTE]

Several companies out will allow you to work 2/1 schedule and if you desire even more time some will allow you to work extra.

If you haven’t already, look in this forum for a thread titled “Read this first” and you’ll find a list of lot of the companies (not a complete list) out here.

I wish all the best and hope you find what you’re looking for.

The grass isn’t always greenier…

I would love a 1/1 schedule, or any schedule for that matter…

I think most Alaskan mariners are underpaid, so its easy to be lured by the money in GOM.

And let’s be honest on average seamanship in general especially boat handling.(I do mean hand steer, sometimes the coons get confused on that one) their top tier. Just an observation from my work experiences.

Yeah, I seem to get a lot of the white knuckle hand steering, Cook Inlet currents, Bering Sea/Gulf of Alaska weather, Western Ak shallow water etc etc

Going from towing to on the hip, push mode, land the beach, load cargo until the tide or weather forces you off the beach…

GOM sounds like a cake walk, I’m sure it has its white knuckle moments al well?

It’s a lot of money in the GOM, to the dock, to the rig, have a safety meeting and take the money to the bank, what’s not to like about that…

Well I made it down here. Been knocking on doors all last week and am at it again this week. So far the companies I have spoken too say they want to hire me but do not have any AB openings right now. I will spend the days making the rounds until there is an opening. Not sure if there is anything else I can do but wait and stay positive.

good luck. stick and stay and make it pay.

Still down here still waiting. Making the rounds daily. Nothing yet.

[QUOTE=Sparks;123727]Still down here still waiting. Making the rounds daily. Nothing yet.[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you are doing the right thing, your time and patience should pay off. Hang in there and good luck.

I haven’t given up. Just wanted to let people know that they should expect to spend some time down here because the companies don’t always have positions to fill. I didn’t expect to be waiting more than a week but this is the start of week three and I will stay until I’m hired.

Hang in there. From what I’ve gathered here, the hiring slows round the holidays. You’ll get a job.