GOM Work

I posted on another forum and want to thank the people that responded but I haven’t had much luck so I will post here and see if anyone can help. I am looking for a contact that can help secure work for a skimmer boat or skiff for beach personnel transport in the Gulf. I have spent 12-16 hours a day for the last week trying to find a good dependable and HONEST contact that can steer me in the right direction. There are a lot of people that are, let’s just say, not going to get a visit from Santa this year.
I’ve sent information to MRC and all other web sites that have to do with Deep Water Horizon and have not heard back from any of them. Maybe the media is right and they are all just going through the motions and are not serious but I am. I’m a retired firefighter, USCG 100 Ton Master, Haz-Mat Tech, Fire Academy Instructor, etc.
If anyone has a dependable contact how about let me know. Not real hip on the idea of just heading down and not knowing where to even start. Have boat and even have kitchen pass, lol.

Do not bother with Bp at the moment. If you are looking for work doing cleanup for your ship Call each states Fish and Wildlife department, the State department, Department of commerce, FEEMA, and ask there. It looks like the government is taking over a good portion of the cleanup operations. Also if you have a Live aboard, give green peace a call and they may offer you a contract to take there people out for whatever work they intend to start. Other then that, you could attempt to get on the Bp bandwagon and see if you can get work with them. Just a few suggestions if you haven’t gotten anything.

I heard National Response Corp (nrcc.com) is looking

For those who dont know, they are a national company that run the (state/ local) oil/ hazmat spill boats.

This is obviously going to be a long term clean up, and they need manpower.
They told me "We are looking for 100T masters and mates to rotate on 21 day on 7 day off cycles."
I could not commit, but they were willing to help get me through the hoops required (HAZWOPER, etc)

Good luck

try this link, then you will have to call. look over the link, there is a link there to input relevant info you have for your equipment.

https://homeport.uscg.mil/mycg/portal/ep/home.do?tabId=0&BV_SessionID=@@@@1998848844.1277326033@@@@&BV_EngineID=ccceadekkfekiddcfjgcfgfdffhdghk.0#

Just an FYI on what has been going on since my first post. I have contacted every marine, state, federal, county, and city department along the Gulf Coast. It is truly amazing that there are so many different people and agencies working on this and no one knows what the others are doing. In a recent online news article a Senator in Florida was raising hell about not having any boats that are capable of skimming and how much he really wants answers. I sent an email to him and have also called and guess what… no response. I have filled out every application to be a vendor/contractor that I can find. I have talked to a couple of very nice people that promise they will look into this and guess what again…no response. I’m at a complete loss of words. Then to top it off, tonight on the NBC Nightly News some of the SAME people I have talked with were on there wanting to know where skimmer boats are and how they can not understand why they are not getting help. I’m a Captain and not a rocket scientist but it doesn’t take a genius to figure out what’s happening here, no one knows what to do except cry about it. This is very disappointing, so much work to be done and no way to do it. I’m considering calling the paper that the Senator was quoted in and let them do a story about how help has been offered and no one will accept it. I even call the BP Horizon call center every day and the poor people there have a script they read and can not give any answers. Yes, I am venting but I am also ready to just give up.

Take it to the media brother. I personally think we (as a nation and just people) should be doing everything we can to get this situation now, there will be a lot of time latter for politics and blame and greedy ass lawyers with their hands out.