Work in the GOM

Has any non-coonass, obtained and maintained employment with any of the big companies ( ECO, TDW, Hornbeck…)? Additionally said employment has to of included positive synergy on the vessel, professional development, and a good sense of job/income security. Also stated employment, you were never asked to do something illegal or somewhere inbetween the “gray” area. You also received due respect for the level of licensing held. Also during stated employment, you were never asked to perform work below competence. The GOM oil companies recruit, hire, and terminate mariners as if there were an endless supply, then complain that there are not enough mariners to fill positions, would any non-coonass disagree?
Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that?

I have a bunch of buddies at ECO and a few more between HOS and HGIM and the ECO guys are pretty happy and none of my buddies are conasses. Its not that big of a deal if you aren’t from the bayou once you get hired.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157622]Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that?[/QUOTE]

JAYZUSS KEERIST…please don’t ask such an impertinent question here. I am liable to answer it and we all know what happens here when I do!

I second that. Even as an “academy punk” I’ve had no complaints where I’m at. Came here from tankers and glad I did. Hell, I made a lead captain spot within a year of hiring even.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157622]Has any non-coonass, obtained and maintained employment with any of the big companies ( ECO, TDW, Hornbeck…)? Additionally said employment has to of included positive synergy on the vessel, professional development, and a good sense of job/income security. Also stated employment, you were never asked to do something illegal or somewhere inbetween the “gray” area. You also received due respect for the level of licensing held. Also during stated employment, you were never asked to perform work below competence. The GOM oil companies recruit, hire, and terminate mariners as if there were an endless supply, then complain that there are not enough mariners to fill positions, would any non-coonass disagree?
[B]Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that[/B]?[/QUOTE]

Yes, the jobs are exactly the same. I’m sure it will be a seamless transition.

Standing no cargo watches on an OSV and hanging out on the bridge dockside is just like deck officer work on a container ship, car carrier, tanker, etc.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157622]Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that?[/QUOTE]

Some can some can’t. A skilled mariner that learns fast and can pick up on a new routine will do ok as third mate.

COONASS is a very derogatory term to describe it Cajun it is almost as bad as the N word. I am a long time luker first time poster andhave had enough of
bashing.

Good Mariners come from all over this country not just one geographical area

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157622]Has any non-coonass, obtained and maintained employment with any of the big companies ( ECO, TDW, Hornbeck…)? Additionally said employment has to of included positive synergy on the vessel, professional development, and a good sense of job/income security. Also stated employment, you were never asked to do something illegal or somewhere inbetween the “gray” area. You also received due respect for the level of licensing held. Also during stated employment, you were never asked to perform work below competence. The GOM oil companies recruit, hire, and terminate mariners as if there were an endless supply, then complain that there are not enough mariners to fill positions, would any non-coonass disagree?
Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that?[/QUOTE]

Looks like someone has had a bad experience. I can tell you first hand, I am not from the bayou and I worked 10 years for ECO. They were always fair with me and often times even partial to me above some of the locals. It had nothing to do with where I was from. It had to do with my work ethic and love for the job. I have many people that I worked with on the bayou that I consider very good friends. People are people, no matter where they are from. You get what you give in most cases. ECO took me from a 100 ton Master to a 2nd Mate unlimited. I would have went all the way there, but I luckily got an opportunity on the drilling rigs before that happened. The lessons I learned while working at ECO have paved the way to my success on the drilling rigs and I will be forever grateful for the opportunities that ECO gave me while employed there. I miss the boats quite often. It was bitter sweet leaving them, but just something I had to do.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;157633]Yes, the jobs are exactly the same. I’m sure it will be a seamless transition.

Standing no cargo watches on an OSV and hanging out on the bridge dockside is just like deck officer work on a container ship, car carrier, tanker, etc.[/QUOTE]

too bland Johnny…you need to spice this dish up with more sarcasm. try a1/2 a cup to start then season as needed with fresh ground vitriol

Vessel officers who hawsepiped on GOM vessels, could transition over to working on a ship of 600ft or larger on international voyages without any further training, would anyone agree with that?[/QUOTE]

I worked at ECO for nearly 15 years, from AB to Unlimited Master, ran as Master on the big anchor handlers as well as Master on the Island Enforcer. I never lived on the bayou, but have many friends there, same as Lee. I distinctly remember making $45/day years ago. I also remember cleaning toilets, scrubbing floors, and painting bulwarks without thinking about the next break, but getting the job done to high standard, and what job needed to be done afterwards. A simple formula - If your job is to clean toilets, make sure you are the best damn toilet cleaner on the ship. Supervisors go out of their way to ensure the hardest of workers are rewarded through advancement. You give them no choice actually; that’s “the” mentality to have, not just the one I practiced.

You can transition to any sector in the industry with the right work ethic and attitude. As simple as the formula is, not many people seem to get it.

[QUOTE=Johnny Canal;157633]Yes, the jobs are exactly the same. I’m sure it will be a seamless transition.

Standing no cargo watches on an OSV and hanging out on the bridge dockside is just like deck officer work on a container ship, car carrier,[B] tanker[/B], etc.[/QUOTE]

Have you ever worked on a tanker? It doesn’t sound like you have.

I agree with Lee and Thad on that one sounds like you had a chip on your shoulder. I worked as Master on my own vessel for years and transferred over and worked as mate to start you may nor agree with the capt and how he runs his vessel but you do your job that you were given and do it well. I hate when people get pee pee in there corn flakes and then blame the cajuns or coonass. everyone depending on where you live have a nickname. Yank, Redneck, Stump Jumper etc nothing to do with how you do your job.

I agree with anchorman.
I am not of coonass descent , and come from outside the industry. I am currently with ECO.
I started as an AB/100 ton guy on deck and did what I was asked to the best of my ability.I am now 1600/6000 Master on my way to Chief Mate.
Make yourself indispensable and you will go far in any industry.

There has been replies from people that work or used to work at ECO. What about the other companies? Is ECO the only bayou company with happy employees? I have a bunch of buddies at ECO and a few more between HOS and HGIM AND the ECO guys are pretty happy and none of my buddies are conasses posted from;bcoogan23 By the way bcogan, what is a conass?
In response to a reply about standing cargo watches and hanging out on bridge. If you truly believe that is all deck officers do on a ship, don’t make the move to the shipping industry. I have read the replies from the deck officers, any engineer officers ??? The new bread of deck officers in the GOM, vessel handling has turned into turning on the DP. Hope that never fails. I have seen the so-called “best toilet” scruppers the GOM has to offer. No better than the so-called “worst toilet” scrupper though. The only thing different is how the crew talked about one guy verses the other. It has been said from someone who served in the US military honorably. One can live in the most harshes of conditions with over 100 other service members, sharing the misery, and have considerable fewer personal drama than a GOM boat with a crew of less then 12. The drama on some of those GOM boats is equal to or greater than a soap opera.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157727]There has been replies from people that work or used to work at ECO. What about the other companies? Is ECO the only bayou company with happy employees? I have a bunch of buddies at ECO and a few more between HOS and HGIM AND the ECO guys are pretty happy and none of my buddies are conasses posted from;bcoogan23 By the way bcogan, what is a conass?
In response to a reply about standing cargo watches and hanging out on bridge. If you truly believe that is all deck officers do on a ship, don’t make the move to the shipping industry. I have read the replies from the deck officers, any engineer officers ??? The new bread of deck officers in the GOM, vessel handling has turned into turning on the DP. Hope that never fails. I have seen the so-called “best toilet” scruppers the GOM has to offer. No better than the so-called “worst toilet” scrupper though. The only thing different is how the crew talked about one guy verses the other. It has been said from someone who served in the US military honorably. One can live in the most harshes of conditions with over 100 other service members, sharing the misery, and have considerable fewer personal drama than a GOM boat with a crew of less then 12. The drama on some of those GOM boats is equal to or greater than a soap opera.[/QUOTE]

All I was saying that all I have heard from my buddies from ECO like it, I can’t speak for others at the other big boys because I don’t know. My definition of a coonass is a person from southern Louisiana who is a little mixture of Chuck Norris and the guys from Swamp People who are easy to get along with, will bust their asses working and like drive-through daiquiri shops and love to hunt and fish. I prefer working with coonasses actually. During my brief stint at ECO I was sent to Hawaii on the C-Commando and absolutely hated it because the captain and most of the crew have never even worked in the gulf and hated all people from the GoM. I said to myself about after a week into my 1 and only hitch “damn these guys are douches, why the fuck couldn’t they have seen me on a boat full of rednecks and coonasses in the gulf”. I actually told the captain that also once I made my mind up that I was going home and not coming back for my next hitch.
The office said I was hired to work on THAT boat and they we’re not going to move me to the gulf. I was not told that until I was handed my plane ticket to Hawaii after my orientation at the office. I love the new small company I am with and am so happy that I made the switch I did.

I don’t know where you are getting that I said officers don’t do anything but hangout in the wheel house. I was amazed at the about of tasks that my first ever captain did when I started on crewboats a few years ago with Seacor. That guy was a machine and on our watch it was just me (the deckhand) and him in the wheel house.

I have seen a lot of lazy captains and a lot worth twice the amount of their day rates.

[QUOTE=pwrmariner;157727]There has been replies from people that work or used to work at ECO. What about the other companies? Is ECO the only bayou company with happy employees? I have a bunch of buddies at ECO and a few more between HOS and HGIM AND the ECO guys are pretty happy and none of my buddies are conasses posted from;bcoogan23 By the way bcogan, what is a conass?
[B]In response to a reply about standing cargo watches and hanging out on bridge. If you truly believe that is all deck officers do on a ship, don’t make the move to the shipping industry.[/B] I have read the replies from the deck officers, any engineer officers ??? The new bread of deck officers in the GOM, vessel handling has turned into turning on the DP. Hope that never fails. I have seen the so-called “best toilet” scruppers the GOM has to offer. No better than the so-called “worst toilet” scrupper though. The only thing different is how the crew talked about one guy verses the other. It has been said from someone who served in the US military honorably. One can live in the most harshes of conditions with over 100 other service members, sharing the misery, and have considerable fewer personal drama than a GOM boat with a crew of less then 12. The drama on some of those GOM boats is equal to or greater than a soap opera.[/QUOTE]

Could any one actually make this stuff up???

Thank you for this gem! You’re quite the pwrsponge.

No, just like a ship officer can’t come onto an OSV without training an OSV officer can’t go to a ship without training.

[QUOTE=Capt. Phoenix;157772]No, just like a ship officer can’t come onto an OSV without training an OSV officer can’t go to a ship without training.[/QUOTE]

If you are talking about ship specific training than yes, but it applies to all ships you are new on.

[QUOTE=Kraken;157787]If you are talking about ship specific training than yes, but it applies to all ships you are new on.[/QUOTE]

Good point. Everyone joining for the first time needs some on board trainging.

I’ve had hawespipe GOM mariners join as third mate that required less hand-holding then new academy grads. I’ve also had both hawepipe GOM and academy kids get off because they could not get with the program. Usually the issue is they won’'t or can’t listen. Either because they are not in the habit of following instructions or they think they don’t need to.

You’re in a safe place now; can you show us on this doll where exactly the GOM touched you?