Work in the GOM

[QUOTE=Slowsailor;157864]You’re in a safe place now; can you show us on this doll where exactly the GOM touched you?[/QUOTE]

Now that is funny!

“COONASS is a very derogatory term to describe it Cajun it is almost as bad as the N word. I am a long time luker first time poster andhave had enough of
bashing.
Good Mariners come from all over this country not just one geographical area”

You must be kidding! I have never heard any coonass say that. I’m standing next to one right now, and he says he’s proud to be called a coonass! Haha. But your right good Mariners come from everywhere.

Back to the question at hand, I can’t for the life of me picture any born and bred GOM “mariners” going over to the MMP, AMO, or MEBA halls and waiting around for a job with zero seniority and a brand new book. Then shipping as a mate and having to do real work instead of button mashing in the wheel house.

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;157946]Back to the question at hand, I can’t for the life of me picture any born and bred GOM “mariners” going over to the MMP, AMO, or MEBA halls and waiting around for a job with zero seniority and a brand new book. Then shipping as a mate and having to do real work instead of button mashing in the wheel house.[/QUOTE]

neither can I…and I hope we never see them get there either

[QUOTE=dncartersweatte1993;157945]You must be kidding! I have never heard any coonass say that. I’m standing next to one right now, and he says he’s proud to be called a coonass![/QUOTE]

FUCK! Southerners are also proud to be called “stoopid”…where else in the country is having an education looked down more upon? This isn’t just in the offshore either but the entire south with the exception of cities like Houston. There is a massive cultural chasm as wide as the Grand Canyon between them and us.

The great thing about the GOM mariner is he actually has options. He gets state of the art equipment, an above Union day rate, and he doesn’t have to report to a hall and pay the Union for the work he does. If he wants to quit he is not under any contract. However, he does have to listen to a bunch of winers complain about it on the Internet and that sucks.

[QUOTE=Number360;157950]The great thing about the GOM mariner is he actually has options. He gets state of the art equipment, an above Union day rate, and he doesn’t have to report to a hall and pay the Union for the work he does. If he wants to quit he is not under any contract. However, he does have to listen to a bunch of winers complain about it on the Internet and that sucks.[/QUOTE]

My GOD! How I wished the world had not started spinning in the opposite direction. Once the GoM was the goddamned backwater of the industry and nobody who wasn’t from the deep south ever wanted to work there. Now today, it has become this huge money, fancy pancy, push button world which too many believe is the new Holy Grail of seafaring. The US still maintains a maritime industry from Maine to Alaska and across the globe which all together combined in still is larger than the GoM offshore yet on this forum it has become where y’all are just so fucking buttsore when someone like me says your world is backwards and does not mesh at all with ours. I don’t give a shit for the fancy pushbutton masher master mariners down there. Give me a man who can work tugs or fishing fleet in a harsh environment like a Gulf of Alaska winter or deepsea mariners who sail their vessels to where they need to go, when they need to get there with cargo intact and undamaged then discharge it and backload in minimal time, then take departure do it all over again. How many GoM mariners even know what taking departure and arrival even is I wonder?

Said it above, there is a massive chasm here but until some of you born and bred GoM mariners wake up to realize you are all not KING SHIT in this industry, you will be derided by the rest of us who know what the real maritime world is like and how to work in it. Something y’all might think a little bit about…

[QUOTE=c.captain;157952]My GOD! How I wished the world had not started spinning in the opposite direction. Once the GoM was the goddamned backwater of the industry and nobody who wasn’t from the deep south ever wanted to work there. Now today, it has become this huge money, fancy pancy, push button world which too many believe is the new Holy Grail of seafaring. The US still maintains a maritime industry from Maine to Alaska and across the globe which all together combined in still is larger than the GoM offshore yet on this forum it has become where y’all are just so fucking buttsore when someone like me says your world is backwards and does not mesh at all with ours. I don’t give a shit for the fancy pushbutton masher master mariners down there. Give me a man who can work tugs or fishing fleet in a harsh environment like a Gulf of Alaska winter or deepsea mariners who get their vessels to where they need to get, when they need to get their with cargo intact and undamaged then discharge it and backload in minimal time, then take departure do it all over again. How many GoM mariners even know what taking departure and arrival even is I wonder?

Said it above, there is a massive chasm here but until some of you born and bred GoM mariners wake up to realize you are all not KING SHIT in this industry, you will be derided by the rest of us who know what the real maritime world is like and how to work in it. Something y’all might think a little bit about…[/QUOTE]

Still Butthurt about the GOM ain’t you Scooter.

If you think working in the GOM is so easy come down and try it… Oh wait you did, but you couldn’t handle it. Maybe if you weren’t such a know it all pu$$y things would have been different.

Too bad that’s not the Rio Grande.

C Captain has a chasm between his ears.

That’s not you standing on that rock, Scooter.

“FUCK! Southerners are also proud to be called “stoopid”…where else in the country is having an education looked down more upon? This isn’t just in the offshore either but the entire south with the exception of cities like Houston. There is a massive cultural chasm as wide as the Grand Canyon between them and us.”

I believe intelligence to some extent can be measured in a person’s ability to keep an open mind. With the broad generalizations you make about a large geographical area and, all of its people. I would venture to say your very narrow minded. I’m certain I have never sailed with a GOM mariner who had a mind near as narrow as yours.

Jump scooter jump!

[QUOTE=wildpeach;157964]Jump scooter jump![/QUOTE]

such a humorous tiny person…

• Updated - - -

[QUOTE=wildpeach;157961]C Captain has a chasm between his ears.[/QUOTE]

likewise another micro wit

Not all boats down here are “push button”. What about all the under-powered crewboats that high to sit up under a crane is 10 footers for hours on end without DP and only him and the green deckhand on watch? There are a lot more things down here besides boats that sit off of drill rigs on DP and play on Facebook all day. There’s a lot of work down here besides that. Hell, the way fourchon has been packed lately its sometimes challenging to just get through to your slip if you’re on a decent sized boat.

We don’t think we are any better, we do completely different types of work than most other sectors.

Why is it our fault that Shell, Chevron, BP and the rest of the oil companies want us to build state of the art DP boats to work for them? And also pay us more as well? Think about that…we don’t even have a union down here to fight for raises for us, the boat operators just outbid each other for our services when they do hiring. Can go anywhere in the world on a boat when we can stay right here and work on the best equipment and make more money?

We don’t give a shit about you, yet you can’t stop talking about us. It’s kind of flattering. Have fun sitting in the hall waiting to make less if you get a job. My “Stoopid” ass is headed to my steady, high paying job where I get to mash buttons all day. Kinda makes ya wonder who the smart ones are.

I guess you didn’t jump.

[QUOTE=Number360;157968]We don’t give a shit about you, yet you can’t stop talking about us. It’s kind of flattering. Have fun sitting in the hall waiting to make less if you get a job. My “Stoopid” ass is headed to my steady, high paying job where I get to mash buttons all day. Kinda makes ya wonder who the smart ones are.[/QUOTE]

Here we go again…

c.captain is a cultural elitist for sure. You GOM wieners think you are superior mariners because you have been paid well for the last five years. You and c.captain are both off your rockers. Things can and will change for better or worse.

There are some good guys in the GOM and some not so good guys there. I have seen both on the same OSV. Even the morons among them have been paid well as of late. The good ones weren’t paid so well before that. If things get worse, both will be making less.

c.captain needs to take a little less pleasure in their recent suffering. The button masher needs to remember that he is no better than anyone else, especially when he is standing in the unemployment line.