Why so many Chief Mates quitting MSC?

Why didn’t they quit years ago?

Not sure what your asking, many did quit years ago,many of the recent departures were not chief mates years ago, years ago there were fewer opportunities in the marine field, years ago msc had better management shore side. It’s all about supply, demand, flow ebb and need. A lot of dynamics. The bottom line is that today Msc has more trouble with retention than it did years ago, smart managers would seek to find the reason why. Of course that would a useless study as nothing is ever the fault of shoreside management, or so they think.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);94080]The bottom line is that today Msc has more trouble with retention than it did years ago, smart managers would seek to find the reason why. Of course that would a useless study as nothing is ever the fault of shoreside management, or so they think.[/QUOTE]

If they even recognize that they have a retention problem, they must be SHOCKED that the prospect of someday soon wearing their silly “command at sea” pin would not be a sufficient counterbalance to being relieved four months late.

I worked for MSCPAC 1981-1985. I left because 10 months at sea a year is no picnic. One second engineer I knew had 10 months on a ship (6 months was a tour back then) and asked to be set adrift in the shipping lane on a raft with 6 other shipmates who all signed the letter absolving MSC of any responsibility for their lives after that. MSC relieved all them off the carrier in the group they were in. Probably what bothered me the most at that time was the office pukes. I was looking for a 2nds job and showed the port engineer a recommendation from a chief engineer that said “Mr. ------------ did the 2nd engineers job while sailing 3rd, I need a good 2nd engineer sent him out here to me.” The port engineer told me “We don’t look at those, if you happen to be in the office and an opening comes up whoever here gets it.” I quit 4 months later and got a 30% pay raise with 6 months a year work.

The Shoreside Morons at MSC SUCKED 30 YEARS AGO AND STILL SUCK. Blowin off some built up steam.

100 percent correct! Shame, as Msc could have been a decent place to work. The shore side indeed is the problem and a cancer to the well being of msc. I also agree that " too bad steam is gone". I loved those old steam ships!

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);94811]100 percent correct! Shame, as Msc could have been a decent place to work. The shore side indeed is the problem and a cancer to the well being of msc. I also agree that " too bad steam is gone". I loved those old steam ships![/QUOTE]

That’s sad to read. It wasn’t like that in the 70’s or was I blind. I have wonderful memories of my time with MSTS, later to morph into MSC. One Chief Engineer, one Captain, I sailed with, was the the very best in any world. So were many of the crew. This thread is an education for me.

There are good people there, lots of them as odd as that fact is its true. In fact a rather amazing fact given the way msc treats people. For that matter there are good people ashore in support functions. Management and leadership from the shoreside is what’s missing. Basically, the higher up you go ashore the worse the problem gets. Add the USN and all their baggage ( shore side and afloat) and you have a first rate cluster F&: ch . In the making.

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);94826]There are good people there, lots of them as odd as that fact is its true. In fact a rather amazing fact given the way msc treats people. For that matter there are good people ashore in support functions. Management and leadership from the shoreside is what’s missing. Basically, the higher up you go ashore the worse the problem gets. Add the USN and all their baggage ( shore side and afloat) and you have a first rate cluster F&: ch . In the making.[/QUOTE]

I suppose so, but the old adage sill rules, “when the going gets tuff, the tuff get going.”

Does not apply, not when you hands are tied and you don’t get backing from the shore side. That quote works well for high school football or the USMC, but not with msc. a better slogan for msc would be " you can’t fight city hall". I know many a good man that tried to change Msc for the better, all failed.

How about, “If you don’t stir the pot, all of the shit will rise to the top”.

Good one !

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);94838]Does not apply, not when you hands are tied and you don’t get backing from the shore side. That quote works well for high school football or the USMC, but not with msc. a better slogan for msc would be " you can’t fight city hall". I know many a good man that tried to change Msc for the better, all failed.[/QUOTE]

It’s sad for me to read this. I suppose the shit has hit the fan with MSC and no one can pull the plug.

Indeed, or perhaps put the plug back in?

[QUOTE=Xmsccapt(ret);94965]Indeed, or perhaps put the plug back in?[/QUOTE]

Oh, us old Merchant Seamen, ya gotta love our unique humor.
“put the plug back in” - Oh my goodness! :smiley:

Hey, got to have a sense of humor to be either ( msc employee or a merchant seaman) :slight_smile:

The seamen at MSC were great. I sailed with great captains and chief engineers all the way down to wipers and os’s. When the Loma Perita quake hit Oakland in 1989, it was too bad it didn’t take out all the rats in Building 310. It killed a lot of good people on the 810 freeway by mistake.

I’m just about to start up with MSC (again), so reading all these posts with some trepidation. I accepted the First Officer position and took the physical yesterday (24 Jan). Orientation on 11 Feb if I pass the physical. During training I spoke with many current MSC CIVMARs. Almost without exception, they really liked working at MSC, but also all acknowledged the difficulty in getting relieved, especially at the C/M and Master level. I’ve already got 17.4 years civil service, so if the relief problem is unbearable I have the retirement option. Shall I keep this forum posted on developments?

Well, that kinda says it all… " problems getting a relief in the CM and Master level". Something unheard of in the past… A real shame and example of the poor leadership now leading msc.

I’d bet it’s half poor management the other half finally waking up. There is more money and a better rotation to be had out there. If the mariners involved have or want to start a family being stuck at sea for 8 months straight can be an issue. At some point you need to be able to see the family your sacrificing for.

1 Like

I’d say that was accurate. Years past there were not a lot of options. While deep sea job outlook is slim, the oil industry caters to unlimited tickets like never before. Not because they didn’t like them in the past, but these days larger vessels and moving to other coast demand it. Certainly a 28/28 is better than a 4 to 6 month ( plus “time to effect relief”) rotation. Add to that you don’t get much time off when you do get vacation. For a long time I said Msc does not deserve the quality of personnel that work there.

1 Like