Who pays more: Chouest, Otto Candies, Harvey, HOS, etc

[QUOTE=mke039;128058]Do you have to bang on doors in NY too? I hold a Master/1600 Oceans but drive commericial fishing boats in AK (last 25 yrs or so).
I just got my TOAR, will get my PIC, will do a flying jump through a rolling doughnut, but where to begin?
I have sent out tons of applications but suspect they all get tossed into the circular file.[/QUOTE]

You’ll have to start as an AB most likely, as you have no tug steering experience, or deck experience for that matter. Best look to smaller companies, they will be more likely to take a chance on letting you go as “mate” on a boat that only will be running a few hours a day.

Door knocking isn’t as accepted up that way, but you need to call looking for AB work emphasizing that you do have a license and want to get a foot in the door.

Not to reliable if he is looking for a job. lol!

Not “TOO” reliable. Gcaptain should make people pass a literacy test before being allowed to post!

They should also have to pass an "A"hole test.

[QUOTE=Number360;128159]They should also have to pass an "A"hole test.[/QUOTE]

We have no problem passing that one, we’re all Assholes here.

Start paying your dues before you start asking about money. Better yet get a job with MSC-most ships are floating ghetto’s, and you will be lucky to get OT. For crying out loud- please start sending people down here who want to work-this guy sounds like a whiner .Labanovich

[QUOTE=jacktarr aka labanovich;128233]Start paying your dues before you start asking about money. Better yet get a job with MSC-most ships are floating ghetto’s, and you will be lucky to get OT. For crying out loud- please start sending people down here who want to work-this guy sounds like a whiner .Labanovich[/QUOTE]

kako si brate hrvatski pomorac?

I have a job! I also have lots of off time and want to get my Tug ticket. It is like pulling teeth to find one though, and I would have no problem sailing as an AB to get my foot in the door.

[QUOTE=OSV-Florida;128157]Not “TOO” reliable. Gcaptain should make people pass a literacy test before being allowed to post![/QUOTE]

Sorry, I have a little trouble spelling because I went to Skool in bayou la flush.
I am a certified “A” hole and can ace any "a"hole exam. I have also been awarded the title of #1 shit starter 5 years in a row.:cool:

MSC pays more than all those companies! Free Everything…medical care, boots, work clothes, knives, flashlights, van ride to Target, van ride to RCs and Headlites. Join the Team.

As a friend of mine who has been rather successful at MSC just said to me, even 28/14 is better than 365 so sorry no relief.

[QUOTE=UnRepKing;128373]MSC pays more than all those companies! Free Everything…medical care, boots, work clothes, knives, flashlights, van ride to Target, van ride to RCs and Headlites. Join the Team.[/QUOTE]

you sound like the guy sitting next to me at the MITAGS bar years ago who bragged about how much more he made than me. Awesome! You make 30k more than me and you only had to work 10mos compared to my 5mos. Time is money, but what good is money if you have no time to spend it?

Last time I checked there was no Target in Fourchon. Let alone enough time at one dock to get off the boat.
There is also no union in the oil patch.

Saying that you are comparing apples to oranges here would be an understatement.

I’ve seen pay stubs from MSC and they don’t even come close to a lot of companies on a day for day level. The only thing that gets you more money with MSC is living on an MSC ship…screw that haha.

I’m a noob here too. Im an Engineman Chief in the US Navy with 2 more years til retirement. I currently hold a 2ND A/E steam and motor unlimted any HP and a DDE. I am looking for the juicy pay. 28/14 sounds like my kinda gig. I hear MSC is too much like the military. What is the best company to work for and who pays the most? Also should I go AMO or MEBA?

Go with none of the above & get an equal time job

First off, thank you for your service. If you’re looking for the juicy pay and best rotations, stay away from the unions. Generally the Gulf of Mexico pays really well and offers the best rotations, 28/14 and 28/28 and even some 14/14 if you live nearby. Most of the numbers that people have posted on here regarding pay are accurate but don’t believe a raise rumor until people have started to see in on their check. I’ve seen an increasing number of retired military sailors in the gulf and they seem to do pretty well. It takes everyone some time to adjust, but it’s certainly doable.

I’ve heard that MSC is a good place for retired military guys because it isn’t much different from what they are used to, BUT you will work long hitches, and I imagine you’re sick of that kind of life.

With your license and experience, you should be able to shop yourself around. Good luck to you.

[QUOTE=kharris74;128407]I’m a noob here too. Im an Engineman Chief in the US Navy with 2 more years til retirement. I currently hold a 2ND A/E steam and motor unlimted any HP and a DDE. I am looking for the juicy pay. 28/14 sounds like my kinda gig. I hear MSC is too much like the military. What is the best company to work for and who pays the most? Also should I go AMO or MEBA?[/QUOTE]

You’ve more than earned the right to go for the big bucks. When you are ready, hit up the deepwater drillers. You should make at least 100k annual as 3ae and the sky is the limit for promotions; 1ae is at least 150k. Even time 21 or 28. Paid travel, paid training.

Stay away from AMO at all costs. MEBA is just too hard in the beginning and ultimately few opportunities to advance. BUT, if MEBA is looking for permanent gas turbine engineers when you get out, you could find yourself in very good position after working MEBA for 3-5 yes. At the end of an LMSR contract you MAY have enough time to become a full MEBA member. Something to think about.

OSVs are definitely good as well.

Just do your homework when you are leaving USN.

Thanks for your service and good luck.

The question should be “Who values their mariner more?” Because it seems like some companies enjoy training the crew then piss them off and watch them leave. I know a few people leaving companies not because of money, but due to the office…

[QUOTE=Tugted;128408]Go with none of the above & get an equal time job[/QUOTE]

Thanks, So is this called non union.

[QUOTE=gulf_engineer;128411]First off, thank you for your service. If you’re looking for the juicy pay and best rotations, stay away from the unions. Generally the Gulf of Mexico pays really well and offers the best rotations, 28/14 and 28/28 and even some 14/14 if you live nearby. Most of the numbers that people have posted on here regarding pay are accurate but don’t believe a raise rumor until people have started to see in on their check. I’ve seen an increasing number of retired military sailors in the gulf and they seem to do pretty well. It takes everyone some time to adjust, but it’s certainly doable.

I’ve heard that MSC is a good place for retired military guys because it isn’t much different from what they are used to, BUT you will work long hitches, and I imagine you’re sick of that kind of life.

With your license and experience, you should be able to shop yourself around. Good luck to you.[/QUOTE]

Thanks for the info. I will be headed back to San Antonio when i get out. 28/28 sounds good.