Who excatly needs STCW VI/2-2 certificate?

Please, if anybody knows which crewmwmbers requires STCW VI/2-2 Fast recue boat certificate.

IMO rules states:
“Training by a duly authorized agency should be given to all helmsmen and crew of fast rescue boats in all aspects of rescue, handling, manoeuvring and driving these craft in various conditions and situations and in righting after capsize.”

According to above I would say that only helmsman and crew inside of FRB need training/certificate.
But what about support crewmembers that are not in FRB but can have some contact with painter or davit, do they also have to have FRB certificate?

What is practice onboard your vessels, do all of your crewmembers that are involved in FRC launching, manuveuring and recoverig have FRC certificate or only crew inside boat … or only helmsman?

Thanks in advance.

Anybody who’s in the boat when it goes fast.

2 Likes

What if one does a slow rescue using a fast-rescue-boat?

1 Like

Then the problem is solved!!

Thanks for suggestion but it seems that answers just opening more questions.

If above is correct it means that ship with FRB could have no FRB certified crew and simply state that it will use FRB in at slow speed and is good to go. I don’t think that would satisfy PSCO or vetting inspector.

Please can someone onboard ship with FRB share how they pick MOB party in regard to FRB certificates and duties (helmsman, in-boat crew and suport crew).

I have this endorsement It means I am qualified to be in charge of the FRB anytime it is launched Technically no one without the endorsement is supposed to be in charge of the boat underway A totally unenforcible rule

Thanks but that also doesn’t answer my question.

You (Seadog6726) have FRB certificate and you are in charge, ok … but what about others, crew in boat and crew that hepls lunching and recovering FRB?
Do they need FRB certificate?

Official Journal of the European Union, states for ro-ro ships:
At least two crews of each fast rescue boat shall be trained and drilled regularly having regard to section AVI/2, table A-VI/2-2”

Not sure how this applies to other types of ships, but from this I would say that support crew doeasn’t need FRB certificate. Also, this seems to be in conflict with IMO Guidelines that says:

“Training by a duly authorized agency should be given to all helmsmen and crew of fast rescue boats in all aspects of rescue, handling, manoeuvring and driving these craft in various conditions and situations and in righting after capsize.”

Really confused, this should be simple.

Does “training” always mean certification? Does it always lead to issuance of a certificate?

“Does “training” always mean certification? Does it always lead to issuance of a certificate?”

Not necessary but in this case I believe it does.

I think you’re overthinking this.

The class for FRB deals with the actual operation of the boat. Driving, handling, maneuvering. Therefore, those who are IN the boat when it is being used should be qualified in its use.

I can’t imagine that anybody involved in the launching of the boat needs to be qualified in the operation of the boat. The concept of tending the painter doesn’t change whether you’re launching an open lifeboat or a FRB. The FRB just goes down faster.

I think Mr. Dollar was being facetious.