Where's the Dome at today?

Not a lot of activity here so i figured I would throw out some bait and see if anyone or anything bites :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:
SUNY Maritime has been flying below the radar for awhile now and that is normally a good thing but as an old alum I’m curious how she is doing today? I know that SST '21 just returned to one of my favorite ports as a cadet in Mallorca. And it seems that leadership in the Regiment has stabilized for the moment.
Here are a few things to chum the waters:

1. Any more talk or planning on when the NSMV arrives? ( I know, it is more than a year away but I remember the transition between V and VI)
  2. How is having non-license students working out?
  3. Anyone done both the traditional 60 day SST and the current blue/gold rotation? Thoughts? Are the 1st class getting the opportunities they need? How crowded is the berthing? Has cadet shipping increased / decreased in lieu of a training cruise?
  4. Anything else about goings on at Throgg’s Neck, feel free to add.

Thanks for indulging me. It’s been awhile and feeling nostalgic. Never thought I would say that :upside_down_face:

I’ll bite ----

1. Any more talk or planning on when the NSMV arrives? ( I know, it is more than a year away but I remember the transition between V and VI)

• Still claiming it will be ready and alongside the dock for SST 2023, though a lot of people have their doubts. A lot of us believe it will be paraded around the nation on a grand tour, preventing its planned use for that year’s sea term meaning the VI will remain alongside the college pier for quite some time even after her supposed final sailing this coming summer. Considering the new vessel’s permanent crew will need to be transferred and brought up to speed with her inside and out and the cadets will likely need a transition year between vessels I have personal doubts she will get real cadet use until 2024 (again, supposing she is delivered on time.) Unlike previous training ships this will be a transition unlike anything any other class has seen or experienced when receiving a new training ship.

2. How is having non-license students working out?

• Same old story. They dislike/ignore the regiment and the regiment largely ignores their existence right back.

3. Anyone done both the traditional 60 day SST and the current blue/gold rotation? Thoughts? Are the 1st class getting the opportunities they need? How crowded is the berthing? Has cadet shipping increased / decreased in lieu of a training cruise?

• I did both, and from what I heard through alumni channels they are going to 75 day cruises going forward starting with SST '22. The 105 day cruises are being phased out. No idea on berthing or 1/c experiences, though during my tenure there the overcrowding was an issue and impacted watch rotations, with some 1/c having many CWO watches on the bridge and others with virtually none which was often not discovered somehow until the homeward bound voyage.

4. Anything else about goings on at Throgg’s Neck, feel free to add.

• Seems to be the same old story otherwise.

I’ve done both the 60 and the 45/90. I much prefer 60 day SSTs.

What about the Cadet Shipping question… Especially with the whole COVID thing going on?

That I do not know. I’d have to reach out to specific people and find out about that.

I think I looked at a picture of this year’s itinerary for SST. It didn’t look too bad with stops in Philly and Belfast. With COVID I’m not sure about the state of commercial shipping, but it can’t be that great.