New Training Ship for SUNY Maritime College

General plans have been submitted to SUNY Maritime College of the [B]Empire State VII[/B]. The new training ship is former USNS Paul Buck. The plans are now awaiting bids from shipyards to begin the conversion. Rough estimates place completion in 3-4 years from now.

Anyone with more details, pictures, links, copies of plans, anything please chime in.

You’ve got to be fucking kidding?..A TANKER AS A TRAININGSHIP!

This is utter bullshit!

It’s certainly better than the new thing KP is getting.

@c.captain - They are converting all of the tanks except two. One on the bow is becoming a dry cargo hold and one of the liquid cargo tanks is remaining intact. It will become a training tank. Possible PICs all around? All of the rooms are going to be 9 or less people. There will be 3 sets of 3 high racks. There will be a common study area and a common head that is to be shared between two rooms. The 1/c will have either 2 or 4 man rooms with heads being shared between 2 rooms. They are turning the current bridge into a full bridge simulator and are constructing a working bridge just forward of the center. Also, they make it easier to transit around. If you know the TSES VI you know that you have to go up to main deck if you want to move fore or aft. With this conversion they built in WTDs throughout so that you can stay on the same deck and move fore and aft through the holds. There is going to be a fully open but covered deck near the center of the ship one deck below the bridge. That is the most likely place for formations as well as the muster stations for drills.

Again, if anyone can get a hold of any plans or drawings or knows more information, please share.

Maybe they have been reading everyone’s ongoing critique of how they are running things in the ground. Now they went out and found an actual ship. They can refit the thing and house the entire student body onboard. There is even enough room to practice marching up and down the deck. The band will be able to practice outside even in the middle of the ocean. We all know how hard it is to fit band practice and competitive drill into our normal work schedules.

EDIT

Didn’t realize this was SUNY I thought KP was getting another ship. This is not a bad thing I think the SUNY people may do a better job with a real ship.

Hopefully they practice on the bow. The Schuyler band redefines the word terrible. We could barely keep a straight face at inspections when they began to play. It was like giving 10 special needs kids instruments

First of all, they do not a need a “ship.” It is a waste of time and money to operate a school ship that stays tied to the dock 9 months per year. They would be best off sending cadets to drillships and other commercial vessels for relevant training.

If they are going to have a ship (just because Uncle Silly is willing to pay for one), and they want to provide a relevant education, they should have ECO build them a new DP3, ice class AHTS similar to AIVIQ or TOR VIKING II. The summer training cruise could be transiting the Northwest Passage to work for Shell (or someone else) in the Arctic (replacing a foreign flag vessel). During the school year they could actually get underway 50% of the days and get in some DP training time. The kids would graduate with relevant experience on a practical working vessel, including DP, anchor handling, and operations in, or at least near the ice.

If the academies are interested in providing a relevant education, they should provide every cadet with at least Nautical Institute approved: DP induction, the 30 days of initial DP seatime and the advanced DP simulator course. They should also offer NI approved DP seatime reduction course for all US mariners.

I have a set of proposed plans for the USNS Paul Buck conversion, not that it is set in stone yet (in fact, I heard they turned it down due to cost issues… can anyone confirm or deny this?)

Lol I don’t know if they still have a band. It was pretty small and not very organized.

Maybe they don’t need a ship (I think they do) but please, please don’t send any cadet to a drillship for more than once… sure, learning dp is great, but their is too much important shit you can’t ever learn on location stuff that’s important even if you do become a drillship mate!

[QUOTE=RoTc4;81535]General plans have been submitted to SUNY Maritime College of the [B]Empire State VII[/B]. The new training ship is former USNS Paul Buck. The plans are now awaiting bids from shipyards to begin the conversion. Rough estimates place completion in 3-4 years from now.

Anyone with more details, pictures, links, copies of plans, anything please chime in.[/QUOTE]

Ohhh she’s sitting in layup in Beaumont!! Rode by that and a couple others on the way out to the MarAd RRF fleet out there, last year? No, 2011. So she’s been stacked for a bit.

LOL!

[QUOTE=c.captain;81553]You’ve got to be fucking kidding?..A TANKER AS A TRAININGSHIP!

This is utter bullshit![/QUOTE]

The Comfort and Mercy were oil tankers. They have hospitals inside them. Why not do the same thing except with classrooms instead?

[QUOTE=RoTc4;81561]@c.captain - They are converting all of the tanks except two. One on the bow is becoming a dry cargo hold and one of the liquid cargo tanks is remaining intact. It will become a training tank. Possible PICs all around? All of the rooms are going to be 9 or less people. There will be 3 sets of 3 high racks. There will be a common study area and a common head that is to be shared between two rooms. The 1/c will have either 2 or 4 man rooms with heads being shared between 2 rooms. They are turning the current bridge into a full bridge simulator and are constructing a working bridge just forward of the center. Also, they make it easier to transit around. If you know the TSES VI you know that you have to go up to main deck if you want to move fore or aft. With this conversion they built in WTDs throughout so that you can stay on the same deck and move fore and aft through the holds. There is going to be a fully open but covered deck near the center of the ship one deck below the bridge. That is the most likely place for formations as well as the muster stations for drills.

Again, if anyone can get a hold of any plans or drawings or knows more information, please share.[/QUOTE]

The living accommodations sound equal to a sat boat that I spent a few weeks on last year. . . .

[ATTACH]2995[/ATTACH]

I guarantee the plans will change, considering these show the captain’s office (and presumably his stateroom) being aft in the “old house” of the Paul Buck, wayyy aft of where the new bridge will be.

But you get the idea.

[QUOTE=ShooterMcGavin;100258]I guarantee the plans will change, considering these show the captain’s office (and presumably his stateroom) being aft in the “old house” of the Paul Buck, wayyy aft of where the new bridge will be.

But you get the idea.[/QUOTE]

This nation does not have the GODDAMNED money for this nonsense anymore.

ENOUGH OF THIS BULLSHIT FEDERAL GOVERNMENT WASTE!

Seattle just got a 2.5 million dollar police boat from the government!

[QUOTE=rshrew;100265]Seattle just got a 2.5 million dollar police boat from the government![/QUOTE]

Arrggghhhh!

There is a free cruise ship floating around out in the Atlantic for free plus repairs which will be cheaper than anything MSC had.

Good grief can’t they pull an operational ship out of the RRF??? I visit the Cape D’s this week. Talk about six gigantic pieces of government cheese! At least one could have a useful home …

ENOUGH! We need no more new training ships…PERIOD!