Where do Captain's derive their authority

…to enter into contract’s on behalf of a of a vessel they are in command of?

Thanks,
Matt’

That would be found in the vessel’s flag state statutes. For US vessels it is in 46 US Code

I am sorry that I cannot give the exact citation at the moment but it is in there somewhere.

[QUOTE=Elvis;72593] Where do Captain’s derive their authority to enter into contract’s on behalf of a of a vessel they are in command of?[/QUOTE]

why are you asking this question? what is your concern? what contracts are you referring to? ordinary day to day operations or emergency conditions? Is this a topic you must make a detailed report on?

I thought all Masters got their authority directly from GOD! …Then again by the time the info reaches the basement who knows if it’s true or not.

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;72634]I thought all Masters got their authority directly from GOD! …Then again by the time the info reaches the basement who knows if it’s true or not.[/QUOTE]

Actually real ship’s masters give orders to God! When you hear the saying “master before God” it is meant to be in front of not behind!

Oh to be high above the clouds in the nose bleed section where the bridge lies!

[QUOTE=Fraqrat;72655]Oh to be high above the clouds in the nose bleed section where the bridge lies![/QUOTE]

Airplane pilots and bus drivers may be up front, but only ship masters are on the top! That is why we don’t choose to make our careers in your noisy dungeon…

Well sir I thank the master, god or who ever is responsibile for inventing diesel electric, now my dungeon is not nearly as noisy as it once was.

I thought it was the pointy stick?

[QUOTE=Rebel_Rider1969;72678]I thought it was the pointy stick?[/QUOTE]

[B]I know some that think their God because of a pointy little thing. lol[/B]

[QUOTE=NAUTICART;72720][B]I know some that think their God because of a pointy little thing. lol[/B][/QUOTE]

their heads?

[QUOTE=c.captain;72610]That would be found in the vessel’s flag state statutes. For US vessels it is in 46 US Code

I am sorry that I cannot give the exact citation at the moment but it is in there somewhere.[/QUOTE]

Try googling “in rem” liability.

luckily these days employment,safe working environment etc etc and many other laws override what a captain thinks he can do
Mind you IMHO the offshore/shipping industry still lags land based environment by 10 or 20 years.
The minimum living conditions on a vessel are illegal in probably all western countries if you were talking a building…so why the difference?

Some Captains mentioned their authority “comes from a higher authority” but I always had my doubts.
'Course these Captains with the Chief Engineer would enjoy a few cocktails and chat before supper.
An era long gone ~

[QUOTE=powerabout;86229]
Mind you IMHO the offshore/shipping industry still lags land based environment by 10 or 20 years.
The minimum living conditions on a vessel are illegal in probably all western countries if you were talking a building…so why the difference?[/QUOTE]

The times they are a-changing …MLC 2006