Captain's overriding authority

Does any of you -captains- had a serious brush in the field of “overriding authority” ?
Did you ever use that authority ? Towards your company as well ?

Here is some of my idea’s about it:
[U][B]http://www.theartofdredging.com/overridingauthority.htm[/B][/U]

Caps

now that is a classic “fly paper” issue…always loved this one…“well cap if you can’t do it we’ll get someone out here that can”…GoM circa 1980…snip!!snip!!whoops now where did my balls go…I had them a minute ago??

I’ve used it twice. Both occurrences had positive outcomes. Just be sure you are doing it for the right reasons. It also helps if you can justify your position with documentation.

[QUOTE=seadawg;41860]now that is a classic “fly paper” issue…always loved this one…“well cap if you can’t do it we’ll get someone out here that can”…GoM circa 1980…snip!!snip!!whoops now where did my balls go…I had them a minute ago??[/QUOTE]

Hmmm. I thought a few times my company would do the same… when I behaved cautiously.

It helps - if you explain them in full why and why not
- if they know you take calculated risks, based on experience and knowledge

Caps

Re: Captain’s overriding authority

"In the case of Capt Lee and Anchorman, WHO would have the overriding authority???

The Captain or the Admiral???

If you sail long enough, you will eventually find yourself in the extremely uncomfortable position of disagreeing with the ‘office’. I’ve had to put my foot down twice. Once ended happily, and once ended with me discovering I no longer had a steel deck under the foot I just put down as I was not-so-kindly asked to disembark the vessel. But, I’d make the same decision today if I had to.

[QUOTE=Mr 100-ton;41895]Re: Captain’s overriding authority

"In the case of Capt Lee and Anchorman, WHO would have the overriding authority???

The Captain or the Admiral???[/QUOTE]

Talk merchant marine here, keeps it complicated.

I used it thrice:

1. Ship has problem with steering gear, dredging on a river.
    I promptly anchored, until technical dept. fixed it,
    … much disgusted by my reaction.

2. Twin propeller dredger in Singapore, one crankshaft breakdown.
    Company asked me to go dredge with one engine.
    After serious consideration, I refused.
    (Ship was idle for one month.)

3. Company asks me to perform oversized crane job offshore -in opens ea.
    I refuse, ship sails to sheltered bay, takes 6 days for a round trip.

It’s a matter of making a risk assesment, and sticking with it.

Caps