What to expect

OK, the leg is healing up good. I’m probably 2-3 weeks from being able to go back to work. After 11 total years sailing for the Navy/MSC, I’m headed south. I honestly have no idea what to expect. For purposes of this discussion, let pretend I’ve been hired by a decent sized company as a QMED, on an OSV. So here are the very generic questions

On a typical 28 day hitch, how many days will we actually be underway?

What is the average turn around time between trips?

If I need to pick up something in town ( replenish my supply of 7-Up), is that possible?

Will I share a room?

Laundry?

Feeding? I was used to posted meal hours, but always being able to ask for something late at night as well

Can someone explain how the “trip home” works? Do they buy you a ticket? We just moved to Indiana to be near my wife’s folks.

Do any companies actually offer paid time off?

I know everyone has a story, and that there are SO many variations. Just looking for some generics.

If anybody knows a company that’s looking for a QMED with plenty of sailing time, and doesn’t mind someone who’s been on big ships, let me know

Thanks

days underway - depends on who has the vessel chartered. you will typically be “on call”. Smaller vessels typically shuttle stuff back and forth 24/7.
turnaround time - not too long. If you are called to make a run you will probably get loaded up in less than 5 or 6 hours
pick something up in town - what town? get it before you get to the boat
share a room? - depends on the vessel and the work you are doing. if you do share a room you will be on opposite watches (12/12) so you have the room to yourself while you are off watch.
Laundry? - laundry facilities are on almost all the boats
feeding - open galley, even if you have a cook
trip home? - mostly you are on your own. some companies offer a trvel allowance but I doubt it will cover 100% of your travel expenses and you have to make your own arrangements
paid time off? NOT
You can try Chouest but not sure if they are hiring. ANy electronics backround? They have a company called C-Innovation that operates ROVs. They are looking for technicians.

Good luck

On a typical 28 day hitch, how many days will we actually be underway? <strong>27.9</strong>

What is the average turn around time between trips? <strong>hours, not days</strong>

If I need to pick up something in town ( replenish my supply of 7-Up), is that possible? <strong>To replenish, you must have had 7-Up to begin with. You plan on flying crewchanges with 7-up?</strong>

Will I share a room? <strong>As a QMED, most likely.</strong>

Laundry?<strong> Only if you bring clothes.</strong>

Feeding? I was used to posted meal hours, but always being able to ask for something late at night as well. <strong>There’s more calories than you can burn, just look at everyone when you arrive.</strong>

Can someone explain how the “trip home” works? Do they buy you a ticket? We just moved to Indiana to be near my wife’s folks. <strong>Depends on company, but usually, at the conclusion of your “hitch”, an allotment is added to your payroll.

</strong>

Do any companies actually offer paid time off? <strong>Who does, that’s “really” extra money?</strong>