What to do when in a vessel without a job

Have you ever been on a vessel without a job for extended periods of time? Think they’re mind if I built a few woof skiffs on the back deck while we wait on the jobs to pickup?

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;146064]Think they’re mind if I built a few woof skiffs on the back deck while we wait on the jobs to pickup?[/QUOTE]

You need to ask the master if he or the company will howl. In any event, you should build woof skiffs in the doghouse to keep them out of the weather.

Woof woof skiffs.

Pardon my asking but WHAT YHE FUCK is a woof skiff? A lifeboat for your dog?

Dang it! That was meant to be wood. WOOD skiff. But I’m sure you knew that good Captain.

Yeah I’m sure joe boss would love you building skiffs on his dime. Maybe and this is just a thought. Work on the boat. Now I know, yours is so perfect there is no work to be done it right? BS. Clean the bottom of the washer. Off charter is major chip and paint time.

[QUOTE=c.captain;146086]Pardon my asking but WHAT YHE FUCK is a woof skiff? A lifeboat for your dog?[/QUOTE]

There are WOOF skiffs. They’re 12 ft, super high performance racing sailboats. Woof is one of the designers for these things, so boats by him are called Woof skiffs.

[QUOTE=OBXmariner;146064]Have you ever been on a vessel without a job for extended periods of time? Think they’re mind if I built a few woof skiffs on the back deck while we wait on the jobs to pickup?[/QUOTE]

If you work on a small DP-1/shelf boat you could prepare the boat for being cold stacked. I anticipate a lot of
the shelf boats to continue being tied up as the winter approaches.

seriously…are you okay…check your pulse rate dude. Your wound way to tight.

I’m far from wound too tight. You would never make it on my boat is all I’m saying.

You must run a tight woof skiff then.

[QUOTE=Gofast;146155]…Now I know, yours is so perfect there is no work to be done it right? BS. Clean the bottom of the washer. Off charter is major chip and paint time.[/QUOTE]

There is always something that needs to be done on a vessel afloat. I wish I could get some down time to get some of it done.

Come on guys! I don’t know OBXmariner but I assumed that he was trying to be funny on his original post.

Do some preventive maintenance, re-stow lockers, fix something, etc. or when not on duty, find a quiet place to rest.

Joe Boss ain’t gonna be happy paying your medical bills and getting sued if you are using his tools to cut off your finger while building your personal skiff when signed on the boat.

“Signed on” probably means in legal terms for purposes of suing Joe Boss, that you have no “time off”, but rather only rest periods.

If a manager / sup’t / port engineer in our company comes down and finds out you’re running your own boat building hobby (our tools or yours), you would be toast.

Woof, wood or any other type.

A bit harsh, but that’s life and you get paid to be there on duty or on a rest period.

Period.

It was ever thus for a merchant seaman.

Sorry.

[QUOTE=+A465B;146201]Do some preventive maintenance, re-stow lockers, fix something, etc. or when not on duty, find a quiet place to rest.

Joe Boss ain’t gonna be happy paying your medical bills and getting sued if you are using his tools to cut off your finger while building your personal skiff when signed on the boat.

“Signed on” probably means in legal terms for purposes of suing Joe Boss, that you have no “time off”, but rather only rest periods.

If a manager / sup’t / port engineer in our company comes down and finds out you’re running your own boat building hobby (our tools or yours), you would be toast.

Woof, wood or any other type.

A bit harsh, but that’s life and you get paid to be there on duty or on a rest period.

Period.

It was ever thus for a merchant seaman.

Sorry.[/QUOTE]

But what about my scrimshaw?

And then the fight started !

Hell we’ve been sued for a moron signed OFF driving home after his rotation, stopped and popped his radiator cap on his own car and done got scalded. Darned if I know the legal theory or justice behind that but it happened. ( no payout).

So go figure if we see it we gonna prohibit it!

with Moran we used to go home often after rotation. Wasn’t a big deal. Some guys suing ruin it for the good ones that don’t.

“Idle hands are the work of the devil”-Capt. Kevin MacKenzie

Best Captain I ever worked for RIP.

I try to model my leadership after him.

We had a very old tug we called home. You did not start chipping on it. You would chip a hole in it if you did. We just slopped paint over old paint as thick as we could. I would even let my paint set up for a few hours before painting to give it a “monkey shit” type consistency better for filling holes.

We kept our home clean and ate well. Only down time we got was for wx usually.

Kevin would just ask us for “A day’s work for a day’s pay.”

But he did not “busy work” us.
If we were busy we busted ass to get the job done. If there was really nothing that needed to be done he would rather have you where he could find you than hiding.

My personal experience is I hate being on a boat that is not busy. Whether that be waiting to load or unload or waiting for a job.
Toooooo much time for drama.

The trip flies by when you are always busy.

I avoid getting on a boat that doesn’t move if I can. If I have a choice between a boat that is always busy and a boat that sits more often than not I will get on the boat that is always busy.

I have lost my tolerance for bullshit as I have gotten older.

Same goes for HR. They don’t like talking to me.
If the HR man is more important than I am then have him come out and stand my watch.
Until then he can get stuffed and so can the rat that used his “cell phone” to cry to the office on me instead of coming to me like a man and telling me what it on his mind.

That is when company is too big. When there is an “HR” department or the owner puts space between himself and the crews by hiring “HR” people.

Only thing I hate more than “HR” is a “Port Captain” without a license that has never sailed a day in his life.

How is someone like that supposed to lead me?!
I don’t think so.
I used to not answer their calls. My deckhand would screen my calls and tell “HR” I was not home right now.

Acta non Verba

Pick up a needlegun, grinder and paint brush.