What should we do regarding controversial topics in the forum?

[QUOTE=z-drive;151206]All caps should be abolished…NOBODY NEEDS TO YELL ON THE INTERNET![/QUOTE]

how ever on earth can one emphasize their use of profanity then…

I mean fuck ain’t nearly the same as FUCK!

would you not agree but I will take the point to heart and try to use fewer ALL CAPS in the future if it will please the jury…which I doubt but FUCK THEM I say!

as I yawn yet again…you just do not understand the definition of forum. Here, I found one for you

forum

Pronunciation: /ˈfôrəm

noun

1 A place, meeting, or medium where ideas and views on a particular issue can be exchanged:

Doesn’t mean the place must be a whole bunch of like thinking members who practice groupthink, groupspeech, groupact vis “dittoheads”. I am proud that I do not think like you or your kind and I am grateful to have this forum to exercise my voice. I really do not give your opinion of me the slightest credence and the fact that someone like you dislikes me so much for what I say means my points sting which is what I want them to do. So go ahead and exercise your voice all you want since that what this place is for but you will be answered as I have done here. Remove that and this no longer is a forum under any definition of the word.

You didn't even read my post did you? I mean, your reply had nothing to do with what I said. Thanks for proving my point.

Edit: seriously, I said we share a lot of the same interests and view points…I don’t dislike you for what you say, I dislike you because you say it like a whiny bitch who got shoved into a locker too much in highschool.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;151212]You didn’t even read my post did you? I mean, your reply had nothing to do with what I said. Thanks for proving my point.[/QUOTE]

no, I certainly did but I made my post here as part of this forum to spark a civil discussion about a subject and yet you took offense to that post which shows to me that all you want to do is attack me for speaking and banish me if you could because I do not speak as you wish I would. If you desire to continue, you are free to attack and I will reply as I see appropriate. No artillery, no ALL CAPS, but I will speak all the same whether you like me or not. In the end, I will still get the same result even without the big guns.

Well if you can go more than five pages or two days with out calling anyone STOOOOOOOPID or a degenerate, or a cousin fucker. I’ll take back what I said, but until then I’d sooner believe you under doctors orders to keep your BP down rather than trying to have a civil discussion.

I read it. This is the line that struck a cord with me:

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;151204]You know what kills me though? Outside of this forum I think we might just get along pretty well. Plenty of shared view points and interests. [/QUOTE]

You recognize the subtle difference between person to person interaction and on-line forum rants yet you choose to engage in flame wars just the same. Why is that that? Perhaps C.Captain is not so enlightened and believes an a-hole on line is an a-hole always. I don’t know - that’s for him to clarify.

Bottom line, I, and many others enjoy intelligent banter, but when it degrades to childish name calling, it’s no longer entertaining. It’s just dumb. Nobody wins and who the fuck cares anyway?

It would be nice if the two of you could share a virtual beer and drink a toast from one bastard to another.

Because online neither of us can punch their other in our respective stupid fucking mouths

Edit: listen, I run boats for a living, I go home, and I run other boats, I take pictures of boats while I am on boats and when I’m not on boats. When I’m doing doing that sometimes i paddle little boats or drive remote control boats. The rest of the time I try to convince the mrs that I love her more than I love boats.
What I’m saying is I was baptized in salt water and I guessing c-captain was too. I get it. I also don’t suffer fools terribly well. Though either I’ve leaned to pick my battles better thus far, or I just don’t mind compromising my integrity now and again for that sweet cash money.
At the end of the day though it gets really fucking annoying shifting though caps lock swearing and rants about how Halsey was the last real man in any given thread.
So regardless of how valuable many of his information can be, or whether or not I like his opinion. When the delivery method is to place it to your temple and drive it home with a hammer in spike…well I can watch Fox News for that. At least they’ve got some tits on there

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;151216]Because online neither of us can punch their other in our respective stupid fucking mouths[/QUOTE]

And that would be fine if the 2 of you just get it out of your system and then have a beer together.

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;151216]At the end of the day though it gets really fucking annoying shifting though caps lock swearing and rants about how Halsey was the last real man in any given thread. [/QUOTE]

I also think George Patton was even more so…

a man who went out of his way to be profane…I bet if he ever wrote anything, he did the whole thing in ALL CAPS too!

let me also say that Patton was not afraid to speak to his convictions and to criticize those above him which did not earn him much love amongst "gentle"men like Eisenhower yet he proved to be the best combat general we had in Europe even for all his tirades and the slapping incident which put him in the doghouse from the middle of 1943 till after D-Day but when he was brought back to field command he proved his abilities like no other. Not like the idiot Clark for sure or the middling Hodges, although I do admire Truscott . Many like myself believe it was a grave mistake to make Bradley the overall ground commander in Europe for D-Day and that the breakout from Normandy would have happened much sooner than it did if Patton had been in command, that the Third Army would have gotten over the Rhine in the fall of 1944, that The Bulge would never have happened and quite possibly the entire face of Europe would have been different postwar since it is quite possible the US would have made it to the outskirts of Berlin long before the Soviets although I do know that the Russians were accorded taking Berlin at Yalta. Of course we might even have made it to Berlin even before the Yalta Conference occurred so we might have taken all of Germany and many of the Eastern European nations as well before the Soviets could have occupied them. The entire Cold War might have been avoided with George Patton calling the shots on the ground and likely 100,000 American soldiers who died after D-Day might have come home after the war. Something serious to contemplate here when some are denounced for airing controversial views…

Patton and Halsey were real leaders and I honor them with nothing but admiration. Not sorry if you don’t like that either!

[QUOTE=Jetryder223;151215]It would be nice if we could all share a virtual beer and drink a toast from one bastard to another.[/QUOTE]

and speaking of George Patton I am left with the irony of the scene in the movie when the American officers are not enjoying their Russian hosts end of war festivities and when Patton refuses to share a toast with any Russian general declaring all Russians to be SOBs, the Russian general replies back he thinks Patton is an SOB as well and suddenly George C Scott gets the biggest grin on his face and says he’ll gladly share the toast one SOB to the other! You know that is just as I feel here. We are all miserable SOBs…myself especially and if I can admit it all I need is for the next guy to and we’ll all drink together just like that because we do have a common enemy we share

the thing is I relish being an SOB…I really do! Gotta be one to have impact I believe…

God how you gotta love Patton!..can you imagine a man like him in the modern military of today?

[QUOTE=Traitor Yankee;151212]Edit: seriously, I said we share a lot of the same interests and view points…I don’t dislike you for what you say, I dislike you because you say it like a whiny bitch who got shoved into a locker too much in highschool.[/QUOTE]

tisk, tisk…so uncivil of you

just like a baseball game when everyone gets off their benches and out on the field swinging…rather a fine American style event to be sure

I certainly enjoyed the punches I threw…rather cathartic when they connect

The forum Is a free exchange of ideas and should go wherever it leads… it is up to the forum editor/manager to curtail it or inject a warning when it devolves to too much of a ‘personal’ level though I like to think most people will just quit reading it after a while, I did when it was evident nothing more was forthcoming and I think it would of stopped itself eventually or only had a very few participants after a few more days. Regulating morality is yet favored by a minority…?

[QUOTE=c.captain;151138]no bombs dropping here or heavy artillery being brought up from the rear but the thread recently closed started innocently enough with a couple pictures of a yacht turned into one of the most heated and divisive threads ever on here with some very harsh rhetoric and some nasty name calling yet at the same time it was spirited and got me energized far more than the usual days here.

So can we examine the good and the bad of having contentious topics of discussion? I still hope that we never become a forum dominated with political squabbling as are so many others yet it is short sighted to believe we should always avoid politics since we are all people with political opinions. Is there any way politics can be discussed without resorting to bring out the brass knuckles and leather truncheons? Is it actually good to have a bar room brawl from time to time to release pent up frustrations? I will say that I did enjoy the battle when it was on and suddenly, it seems very tame and too easy now here this evening.

What are y’alls thoughts on what transpired and how we should move on now that the thread is closed?

.[/QUOTE]

What the hell did I miss? A food fight?

I now hold my 3A/E and all QMED ratings. Holed up in my secret lair, studying, I apparently missed all the good shit.

Sheesh…I disappear for a few weeks and you fellers can’t behave yourselves…lol

[QUOTE=catherder;151333]What the hell did I miss? A food fight?

I now hold my 3A/E and all QMED ratings. Holed up in my secret lair, studying, I apparently missed all the good shit.

Sheesh…I disappear for a few weeks and you fellers can’t behave yourselves…lol[/QUOTE]

You ain’t missed nothing unusual. Just a bunch of thin-skinned, self-righteous, self-important …(I’m running out of hyphenated words)…guys, you know…

Congrats on the license!!

A spirited political discussion on here now and then livens things up. However certain posters cant go without immediately starting in with the personal attacks and insults. I can go without insulting someone, why cant others?

I also think certain posters start threads with the intention of a fiery political thread and then bemoans their existence at the same time.

A little bit of tact would go a long way.

John, Rob & Mikey - Surprised you guys have not weighed in on this. It IS your sandbox after all.

Let me break it down for you. Their are 2 positions:

1. We are all adults with diverse opinions and backgrounds. Occasional flame wars (within reason) will be tolerated and provide an interesting dynamic to the forum.

2. This forum is NOT the place for political debate and we will not tolerate personal attacks of any kind. Keep it maritime related or take it somewhere else.

Your call guys. We will (try to) comply.

We must have the right to self defense however even if it means mutual assured destruction

boom goes London…boom Parrie