What do you want to see Trump do in Venezuela?

How about nothing and let them solve their own problems.

The US isn’t, and shouldn’t be, the world police.

2 Likes

no, but maybe we should all work together when we see something happen that could affect us all. Its not in our best interests to allow tonnes of gold, cocaine, and oil to leave a country and benefit one man who prolly aught to stand up in front of a court and be held accountable. Policing is the right word: the law should be upheld. Policing as a euphemism for war is what should be avoided. The American president seems to have threatened war if his political problems continue (classic). Rest of the world maybe aught to not let that happen; perhaps by handling things in a preemptive legal and peaceful way.

The moment Venezuelan soldiers work their way north up the Gulf or across the Rio Grande, I’d be the first calling for the leveling of Caracas.

Until then, not our problem at all. Calling for kinder, gentler intervention (or “police actions”) is warmongering by another name.

If we don’t help them now, they will come here as refugees and we’ll have to help them then at much greater cost.

Radical idea here:

Turn them away.

Why can’t the other countries in Latin America step up?

There are stable countries with prosperous economies, the same language, and same cultures.

Americans always get their dick hard about getting involved overseas unnecessarily thinking only Americans can save the planet.

Stability of countries is in everyone’s interests. The Northern Alliance vs the Taliban wasn’t our fight until it was.

Should the U.S. not have intervened in Kobani? I guess ISIS wasn’t crossing the Rio Grande, so they should’ve been left alone.

Imagine thinking that countries are somehow magically insulated from one another.

It’s pretty fucking dumb to be arguing about foreign policy on here though. Do I listen to the people at work? Fuck no, the anonymity of the forum is a shield for guys I would ignore on the boat.

1 Like

seizing drug shipments, investigating financial crime and prosecuting human rights abuses does rather remind me of carpet bombing civilians with colourfully named teratogens. :roll_eyes:

1 Like

Except for the Panama Canal, and then later removing dictator Manuel Noriega. Oh and evicting Cuban military forces from Grenada. or supporting anti-Communist forces in Honduras.

But yeah, war has never accomplished anything, except for getting rid of fascism, racism, slavery, and Communism.

2 Likes

I can agree, somewhat, on the Panama canal being a positive endeavour.

The CIA did help Noriega to power and for the longest time ignored the brutality of the regime. The same with most of the anti-communist actions taken. The right wing dictatorships that developed in their place were all heavily supported by the USA, even when they murdered, disappeared and tortured their own people.

Don’t forget that one of the reasons for the Cuban revolution was that (American) companies owned most of the land. Cuba was never a free nation after the USA invaded in 1898. The Platt amendment made sure of American dominance in Cuba.

I am not saying that all of the American interventions were a bad thing. It is just that it was usually for their own gain, to support their business interests, not to spread democracy and peace.

2 Likes

Know it all conversations like these, filled with uninformed opinions are the reason I don’t turn up at the mess hall until everyone has left.

1 Like

Read, War Is Racket by Smedley D. Butler.

3 Likes

The honest truth about Panama was that Noriega was part of the CIA drug smuggling operation. When Noriega threatened to go public with the operation if he didn’t get a larger cut in the profits, within 24 hours the 82nd Airborne was on his doorstep. Ever wonder why after Noriega’s eventual arrest, he was never heard from again? He’s being held incommunicado in Miami. My guess is he won’t be heard from again. Ever.

1 Like

Since he died in Panama in 2017 I’d say it is a pretty good bet that he won’t be heard from again (not without a Ouija Board that is)

2 Likes

I hadn’t heard about that. Thanks.

What’s he doing for maritime employment, hmm?

As for the original post- what he should do in Venezuela- would we be having this conversation had Venezuela not been a member of OPEC?

Of course not, and I’ll repeat my statement on this subject:

1 Like

Edit: The U.S. tolerates and even supports much worse thugs

3 Likes

I’d prefer a seal team but I’m sure delta will do

“What do you want to see Trump do in Venezuela?”

Go there and live in a shack in a barrio for the next 30 years.

2 Likes