What Are The Deepsea Day Rates for Officers

If you are on a ship in ROS, the vacation is very low.

1 Like

True

1 Like

SIU has pretty much always been 15/30 hasn’t it? Our guys have always worked 4 months on / 2 months off.

1 Like

That’s nuts, our unlicensed are like 23 or 24/60. 75 day tours, anything over 85 is day/day.

1 Like

Yea that’s why the SIU is the biggest scam going. And you need like 30 years of seatime for their shitty pension.

5 Likes

I’m still wondering what the day rates for deepsea officers are…

2 Likes

Do deep sea unlimited tonnage even express pay as “day rates?” Unless things have really changed since the last ice age when I sailed, you’re gonna need some math skills to reduce to a “day rate.”

10 Likes

How’s about you just settle for the fact that everyone is going to play their cards close while sitting at their pool in their fancy house with fancy cars…

We are all doing fine. Shipping is booming because of the pandemic and if you’re getting out of school soon, congratulations! You caught the sine curve that is this rollercoaster industry, on the up swing. It will as always (typically in 10 year cycles historically) begin to Peter out and then we will all have the companies holding out their pockets, but right now it is feast time.

Go get some for yourself and good luck. :+1:

7 Likes

Nailed it Cavo.and DamnYankee.

2 Likes

Doesn’t sound too far off with everything included.

Personally, I think vacation pay is stupid. Just give me all my money up front. If I suck at managing my money then that’s on me. It all comes out of the same piece of pie, I’d rather earn interest on it as soon as possible and not let someone else hold onto it and earn interest that should be mine.

3 Likes

Exactly Mr. Cavo, salary or pay/vacation to day rate is simple but it doesn’t factor in things like travel, training, pay for training, benefits, 401k matches, pensions, parental leave, and whatever else you can think of.

3 Likes

Factoring in 401k matches, pensions, etc. does make things harder. But what Deepsea union or companies don’t pay for training and travel nowadays? The one exception I heard is that some with OSG mentioned their mates don’t get paid for training. I do not know the truth to that. Maybe @New3M an shed some light in that regard? Also I never heard of a deep sea company paying parental leave. @Mmamate what companies pay that?

2 Likes

OSG only pays for training that is either STCW required (like the gap closing stuff we all had to do a few years ago - leadership, ecdis, etc.), or if they want you to take a course - VSO, advanced ship handling. They do not pay for C/M upgrade courses, although they will reimburse after the fact once you have earned the position.

You get $100 a day while you are in training, plus food…which I think its like $30 a day or something crazy low. It’s not a deal to go to training, that’s for sure.

Yes, training and travel are generally covered by the employer. However, I’m talking about how you are paid for training; no pay, 100$, full pay, full pay plus vacation? Harder to factor into a day rate. Conocophillips has 6 weeks paid parental leave.

Well in terms of training seems like Union guys make out the best. All courses and training at the Calhoun School (MEBA), MITAGS (MMP), and STAR Center (AMO) comes at no additional cost to the mariner. Lodging and meals are also provided free of charge. You can stay and take as many courses as you want. And if they don’t provide a specific course the union may refund you for one taken elsewhere. The funding comes from union dues and the companies themselves. Its a deal knowing how expensive courses can be especially upgrading to C/M & C/E.

Yeah we’ve got a similar deal, training at essentially any of the schools is covered as well as travel and lodging. Meals are reimbursed, you’re paid at your normal rate with no time taken from vacation bank, if you have more than 2 weeks of training a year then you earn vacation day for day.

Not the way the MEBA works. You apply for a course. When the course is finished you leave.

@Chief_Seadog I wasn’t clear. I meant to say you can take as many courses as you want and are free to stay there as long as you are taking the courses. If you take courses that run consecutive, you can stay at the Calhoun School during that period the courses are running. I wasn’t saying you can just stay as the schools for as long as you want whenever you want. Of course you have to be taking a course to stay there.

You must make a separate written application for each desired course. No more than four (4) course applications for classes may be submitted per semester. If those courses run consecutively you stay over the weekend until the next class starts.

MEBA’s Training Plan will reimburse participants for up to $1,200 per year for off-site tuition costs for courses the School determines are STCW related. Those classes must be approved by the CMES Director prior to attending such training.

Yeah. MM&P has a maximum amount of time you can stay as well. Seriously though, who wants to stay any longer than they absolutely have to?

As far as the value though, it’s through the roof. I tell every young officer on the fence about staying with the union that they can get six times their initiation fee costs in training value before they are ever offered a book. It is well worth it to spend at least a few years in the applicant pool and sip at the teet of “free” training. Hell, you can even decide to decline the membership afterwards and get your initiation fee back. At least that’s the case with MM&P assuming you remain an applicant.

2 Likes