Were any of your STCW courses not worth taking?

I am not referring to the quality of the instructor. I am only referring to the course content.

I would nominate the magnetic and gyro compass course. I took all of the STCW courses required for 3rd mate unlimited. There was nothing in the compass course content that was not covered somewhere in the other courses that I took. That was money just thrown away.

If you are already a 200ton master, taking AB was a waste of time as it was mostly remedial rules of the road. I learned a little extra deck stuff but overall it was just a very expensive refresher. Guess it all depends on the route you are traveling though because it was the first time alot of the guys had seen the rules, sounds, lights, TVMDC, and so on.

[QUOTE=rigdvr;32178]If you are already a 200ton master, taking AB was a waste of time as it was mostly remedial rules of the road. I learned a little extra deck stuff but overall it was just a very expensive refresher. Guess it all depends on the route you are traveling though because it was the first time alot of the guys had seen the rules, sounds, lights, TVMDC, and so on.[/QUOTE]

AB is not a required course, no one has to take it. It is optional and takes the place of going to a Coast Guard REC and taking the AB exam.

I have taken everything except for BRM, Flashing lights, and I am going to Medical care provider this morning, I have learned at least 1 thing in every class.

What is eating me is I am a 3rd issue 100 ton master and i have to do my assements and have a 500 ton captain sign off saying i know how to turn the boat 10 degrees. Why do I need a RFPNW when I hold a master on a nav watch:confused:

Flashing light was a complete waste of my time. I would say 90% of each class was a waste of time and money. IMHO it’s mostly a scam to bleed my bank account dry. Everything I learned from the required courses that I didn’t already know could have been covered in an 8 hour course. The rest could be put in a 200 hour course entitled “Dont be a fucking moron!” and should have an option to test for exemption from taking this part. I took my courses at several different schools from MPT in Ft Lauderdale to Sea Academy in Aransas Pass Tx and everywhere in between. Most of the time the attitude was “we dont give a damn if you learn anything, just memorize this long enough to regurgitate it on the test.”

[QUOTE=jdcavo;32189]AB is not a required course, no one has to take it. It is optional and takes the place of going to a Coast Guard REC and taking the AB exam.[/QUOTE]

I realize that now. I should have researched what the class content was and tested out. Like most others though I sa a list of requirements and just started taking class as I could fit them in.

I agree with the RFPNW as well…