Wake up call. . . in a bad way

So today I had two interviews with smaller tug/workboat companies on staten island. I don’t want to name any names but I was blown away when the one paying MORE offered 12 dollars an hour. How can you even survive on that. The yachting world is looking much more attractive. Again this is for an OS with just navy machinist mate background. . . I really thought maybe 15 minimum. And these were not small one tug operations, they were fairly well known and had large fleets. Guess I just gotta keep knocking on the doorrs!

Willingness to learn, interest in life, the development of various skills and talents depend on how home reviews tagkids room design ideas 31 Mar 2012 .Living room lighting is following the same trends as the rest of design in the country .1001644.47 Most incredible kids room design ideas 45 Modern examiner .Many homes can offer you limited space for the living room.Read consumer reviews and accessplace bathroom design.kitchen design yielded 133 matches.11 Amazing bedroom decor ideas in Black and White! .theberry 201205. stage coach bus timetablesapplianceshome garden kitchen mixerssmallhome decor sales repshow to plumbing a bathroombedroom decorating gamediscount billiards tableswheel chair womanboston interior design schoolsleather chair bedadding bedroom first floor mastercontemporary bar furnituresdecorative floor kitchen matfurniture kids bunk beds nasseaukitchenomics recipesarts and crafts kitchen cabinetsdania home furnishingsrolling work tablesair beds portablehow to remove candle wax from wood furnituredecoration graduation homemade partysealy fenway mattressesbedroom vanity benchrose furniture company high point nclinders furniture martjenna haze bathroom

If you want to be tugboatman just take the job, at least they aren’t charging you tuition.

($12 x 8) + ($18 x 4) = $168 per day. If you got $200 per day as an OS in the Gulf you’d end up with less than that after travel expenses. If you can develop some skills and prove your worth, they’ll probably pay you more to keep you. They advantage at these low pay outfits is the opportunity to move up fairly quickly as others move on. If not, once you have some experience you can move on to something better.

I’d take it. The experience is worth much more.

[QUOTE=tugsailor;74873]If you want to be tugboatman just take the job, at least they aren’t charging you tuition.

($12 x 8) + ($18 x 4) = $168 per day. If you got $200 per day as an OS in the Gulf you’d end up with less than that after travel expenses. If you can develop some skills and prove your worth, they’ll probably pay you more to keep you. They advantage at these low pay outfits is the opportunity to move up fairly quickly as others move on. If not, once you have some experience you can move on to something better.[/QUOTE]

Sadly both are only offering 8 hour days and back to the dock at night. 40 hours a week at most so 400-480 per week! I would work for 140-150 a day all day even if they were 12 hour days.

I would take it but it doesn’t pay rent bills and food in my current situation. I mean 24000 before taxes in nyc is crazy. If I lived somewhere more inexpensive I would happily take it but I just don’t see it working. And we’re in the Gulf can an OS make 200 a day?! I got call backs for about 150.

You gotta start somewhere. Commercial is different. Take the job. Once you have a couple months experience you will be more attractive to the other companies. Also, I would make an educated assumption that this is the ‘starting pay’ level. Once you earn your stripes, and prove your mettle you would progress more.

Not making any bad statements here, but your past experience is the Navy is not as relevant as your CURRENT job performance.

I’ll have to print this out and post in the galley for the deckhands on this boat to read. The complain at least once a day that they are underpaid.

Do you hold an MMC, TWIC, and STCW? If not then $150/day is about right. Those credentials will get you $190-225 in the Gulf.

Arent you the guy who makes $55k or so at a shoreside shipyard job? If so let this be a wake up call for you. Thats about beginning pay for an OS. In VA its around $130 a day. You are going to be hard pressed to make near that money on boats for at least 3-4 years unless you get very lucky and lots of things fall perfectly into place.

You could go work in the GOM but most of those places dont pay travel and that cuts into your bottom line. Times are still tight around the docks, very few companies are hiring green people right now.

[QUOTE=tank3355;74877]Sadly both are only offering 8 hour days and back to the dock at night. 40 hours a week at most so 400-480 per week! I would work for 140-150 a day all day even if they were 12 hour days.[/QUOTE]

REPLY Just take the job an give it a go for two months. They know you cannot live on that indefinitely in NYC. If they won’t pay you more within two months, at least you’ll have some experience to take somewhere else.

And dont worry about the 8 hour day… nobody works an hour day.

You are entry level, for all intents and purposes, you know nothing. Expecting to be paid more to start is only setting yourself to fail. Take the job(unless you already have a steady one), work your ass off(chip, prime, paint, clean things with out being told, ect),get something for the resume, then hit them up for more cash. There are only 2 out comes, yes more money, or, no, we cant pay you anymore. In that case, pack your seabag and roll out. With that said, being a job/boat hopper doesnt look that good either. Double edged sword.

Everyone out here has taken a shit job at some point, either as a stepping stone, or out of nessicity. What doesnt kill you wil only make you stronger(and hopefully smarter).

[QUOTE=Clear Solution;74930]And dont worry about the 8 hour day… nobody works an hour day.

You are entry level, for all intents and purposes, you know nothing. Expecting to be paid more to start is only setting yourself to fail. Take the job(unless you already have a steady one), work your ass off(chip, prime, paint, clean things with out being told, ect),get something for the resume, then hit them up for more cash. There are only 2 out comes, yes more money, or, no, we cant pay you anymore. In that case, pack your seabag and roll out. With that said, being a job/boat hopper doesnt look that good either. Double edged sword.

Everyone out here has taken a shit job at some point, either as a stepping stone, or out of nessicity. What doesnt kill you wil only make you stronger(and hopefully smarter).[/QUOTE]

Well thats what makes it difficult, i have one steady job that supports me while i work crap jobs on nights and weekends to get seatime and experience, I just figured a tug boat would pay a little more than that. . .