Vane Brothers Pay

because that’s how it is

So what is mate pay there now?

If they only hire Tangerines, why are they recruiting ex-military so hard at Mid-Atlantic Maritime?

Is it still fair to say that Vane has the lowest pay of the oil barge companies in the NE?

Put yourself into an HR recruiters shoes. Why would you want to hire Tangierman/ESmen and ex-mil? If you dont get it, well then…

yes, it’s self explanatory. Ties back into the low pay.

Everyone is trying to recruit ex-military. To the point where guys with actual commercial maritime experience are getting passed over in favor of ex-military guys with no experience.

Not sure about all branches but I had no problem transitioning from working the deck of a buoy tender in the CG to working the back deck of a tug and moved up through the ranks to the wheelhouse with no problem. The fact is that some guys have it and some don’t. Doesn’t matter if you were military or civilian. Some people just can’t cut it on any boat. The only difference with the military is you can’t get fired and there’s ten more guys to pick up the slack…

Anyone of you guys work on a no smoking inside the tug? Im tired of going home smelling like a ash tray after 20 days

Wait, people still smoke inside the boats? I can understand if a mate or captain smoke in the wheelhouse when piloting for a long time but anywhere else is unacceptable.

Cause they get government contracts for fueling & having ex-military helps. Also they are cheaper.

What shit outfit lets people smoke inside??

ex smoker here, but even when I did smoke I never did it inside the living spaces…including in my own house.

used to be a rule though, if the guy runnin the boat smoked in the wheelhouse on watch that’s his deal and that’s swept under the carpet. Curious to hear how much of that still goes on these days.
My last boat, one of the mates smoked and he would when he was on watch. It would go through the central air of course. He was one of those guys that tried to act like he was by the book too. Company policy was no smoking inside at all haha

If you are on watch & need to smoke on a central heat & air boat go outside.

Smokey boats are still out there, but way less common than just a decade ago. They’re even at “higher” end companies too, not just shit operators. Definitely in the minority though these days. Once again, if some of these old geezers finally retire it would be over with but some guys just can’t give it up and will die on these boats. Time to start ordering body-bags to have some in stock, maybe the office will get the hint.

So Vane hires a lot more than just Tangerines. (How could there be enough Tangerines anyway) Vane likes to hire ex-military. In short, they are looking for cheap help. So anyone that is cheap help should have a go at Vane.

Word is that Vane treats their mariners pretty well — few Bayou attitudes.

Yes but they hire tangerines/eastern shore folks way more than elsewhere. I don’t think it’s a bad place to work, but lower pay and almost all wire boats. If I was looking for a job I’d rather Make significantly more and have pins elsewhere.

Money is important. So is enjoying where you are working.

I’d like to try pins. It looks like sailing on a ship.

I agree whole heartedly with your statement. Sometimes people have to go work for less on wireboats at a company like vane just to get a mates job. I considered it myself a few years ago. But they count on people like me trying to get ahead and take advantage by paying shit. Its not right especially when you consider the time and money invested in getting a license now. They’re being financed by some oil company or private investor and they’re keeping there wages and contract bids low to get rid of the competition in places like new york. How on earth could they keep building boat after boat? Someone is helping them and they’re counting on employees to help shoulder the financial burden. Treating employees well is great and im happy for people that have jobs they dont mind going into but fuck vane.

Everyone keeps saying vane pays crap wages, yet no one post their wages

I spoke to tom lamm 2 yrs ago and he quoted like 412$ a day for a mate on a 3000 hp tug in northeast. He said 460$ for mate in higher horsepower tug but he also noted after i did some prodding that the day rate is not concrete. It depends what region you work in. If the boat goes south of cape may your wages drop 10% or something. It was utter garbage. And they don’t pay travel. Maybe things have changed and rates have gone up since then. I also want to make it clear that i understand the guys who left places like bouchard and took a pay cut just to escape the terrible treatment by morty. Im just trying to be honest about vane paying poor wages for moving oil.