Usmma class of 2018

c.captain is right about KP not making much of a difference. I personally don’t think it puts you ahead of any else in this industry because the number one thing everyone wants is experience when they are hiring. KP might help you get a job out of the industry better then the state schools but besides that and a good military career that is about all it has going for it in my opinion.

However, if the recruiter is a KP grad than obviously being a KP grad would help. Just remember it always helps to know people. Be respectful to everyone on here because when you go looking for a job you might run into people from here. Also you represent your school and if you look like an ass it will make people think everyone else is as well.

I got something to say, it’s about something which happened during a hot August in 1966. All military personnel going into a “war zone” (they couldn’t say Viet Nam, I guess) had to pass through SERE Training (Survival - Evasion - Resistance - Escape), There were several Navy SERE training camps, I went to the one in the mountains east of San Diego. Part of the training consisted of a simulated POW Camp, with barb wire enclosure, guard towers, dirt huts for the POWs). I know there is at least one member of the forum who also experienced SERE, perhaps there are more. What you will read will resonate with these folks as it was an event you never forgot. I saw men break down, some cried, others simply said they can’t take it and quit. There was no passing grade, you needed to complete the course. If you break down or quit you can not be sent to a war zone and most likely your career is shot. The worst part of the POW Camp was the black box, I was a husky guy and could hardly fit into this torture contraption but the “guards” forced my head down, closed the lid, and locked it shut. Ever so often one guard with hit the box with a club and ask if you are OK. I have no idea how long I was in this terribly hot box but it was a horror. Finally I was released and told if I do not tell them where my next duty station will be I will be returned to the box. All I said in replay were the famous “four words,” Name, Rank, Serial Number, Date of Birth. This caused me to suffer repeated slaps to my face, I was pushed down and kicked. This continued for about an hour. Now let’s fast forward to the end of this POW Camp. There must have been 60 to 70 men held as prisoners, we all had a number and were always address by that number. Mine was 52. About 20 of us were told we needed to see the Officer in Charge before being released, I was one of them. When 52 was called I entered the O-n-C’s office. He greeting me by my real name, told me to grab a chair and sit next to him as we go over my evaluation. I knew I made it through so I was a bit perplexed but said nothing as he took a piece of paper and direction my attention to one line in particular. In that line was written, “52 failed to make any escape attempts.” I was asked to explain as I was told they had me picked out as one who most likely would try. Again, I remind you I recall everything about this, to this very day I remember saying “I knew you wanted me to try so I didn’t bother.” “Fair enough,” I was told. Then he directed my eyes to another line which read “52 knows how to shut-up. I can’t get a word out of him except the big four. I slapped him repeatedly, nothing, I insulted his make believe girl friend, make believe boy friend, the size of his penis and it actually made him laugh a bit which produced more slaps. He will not talk.” “What have you got to say about that as I am interesting in how you accomplished it?” My reply was again, I knew they wanted me to give-in and say anything to end the slaps so I didn’t bother to oblige. It’s that simple. “Fair enough Lieutenant, as you know there is no passing grade but we do grade, are you interested in knowing how we found your behavior.” My response was "Sir, I’m more interested in that chow tent. " He laughed, shook my hand, said “good luck, Lieutenant, by the way you are in the top five percent. You do know how to shut-up.”

As I look back it’s more of when than how. We have a few posing on this forum who felt it necessary to dump all over a thread started by a 17 year old young man. Sure wish they knew how to shut up.

SNG great story. My younger brother went through SERE (army helo pilot). I often fancy myself tougher than him until he told me (the parts that he could) of his SERE training. It sure as shit made me question my toughness and whether I was tougher than my brother (though I will never admit it to him!). Most respect to you and anyone else who completed SERE.

[QUOTE=scengineer;90169]SNG great story. My younger brother went through SERE (army helo pilot). I often fancy myself tougher than him until he told me (the parts that he could) of his SERE training. It sure as shit made me question my toughness and whether I was tougher than my brother (though I will never admit it to him!). Most respect to you and anyone else who completed SERE.[/QUOTE]

scengineer, with the benefit of the years behind me I see stubbornness as the key element involved, toughness is a matter of the mind, look at the two wonderful girls who more than met the grade to become Navy Seals. BTW, I have the greatest respect for Army Chopper Pilots. You have a great brother. Thanks for your kind comments.
Oh - one tid bit of info - I never wanted to go through SERE again.

C.captain, got good news for you. Turns out I wont be becoming a slug or be joining the marching band. Just got a big fat “Denied” on my application status haha.

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90212]C.captain, got good news for you. Turns out I wont be becoming a slug or be joining the marching band. Just got a big fat “Denied” on my application status haha.[/QUOTE]

congratulations son…you have obviously done something wrong which was right…good job!

now just go to SUNY like the bright lad you are

btw, it is too bad that you aren’t going to be in the band at KP tho…I’d have paid you good money if you had pissed in this pencilneck geek’s coronet!

[QUOTE=c.captain;90222]congratulations son…you have obviously done something wrong which was right…good job!

now just go to SUNY like the bright lad you are[/QUOTE]

Hahaha

SUNY is the plan, nothing is going to stop me from bugging you all by getting on your ships :p! I am surprised though that I am not that upset. I guess you subconsciously changed my mind about KP.

speaking of the KP Marching Band…the USMMA Administration has removed all references to the band and Captain Kenneth R. Force USMS from the academy’s website…

why now I ask? Hmmm…could gCaptain have anything to do with that I wonder? We know the junta in power there monitors this forum regularly. Wouldn’t be wonderful if the day has arrived when they realize what an embarrassment their esteemed Captain Kenneth R. Force USMS is and pull the plug on the farce that is Force and put the band there out of our misery? HOW CAN THEY JUSTIFY THE MONEY MAINTAINING IT COSTS!?!

but even though it is gone from the KP website…the legend that is the great omnipotent Force lives on and will never be erased

CAPT Kenneth R. Force
Director of Music, USMS

Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMS, holds a BM, MM and 6th year Professional Diploma in Education Administration from the Manhattan School of Music and currently sits on the Alumni Council for his Alma Mater. Last year he was elected to the Manhattan School of Music “Distinguished Alumnus”. He has an additional Masters Degree in Counseling from New York Institute of Technology. His professional trumpet playing career has ranged from the Radio City Music Hall Orchestra and Master Virtusoi of New York to the Ringling Bros. and Barnum and Bailey Circus Band, with several Broadway shows in between.

CAPT Force earned his Army “Bandsman” diploma from the U.S. Naval School of Music in Washington D.C. and subsequently served as cornet soloist with the First U.S. Army Band at Governors Island, New York. Several years later, he returned to the Army National Guard and served as Bandmaster/Commander of the 42D Infantry (Rainbow) Division Band. He has served as a consultant for Columbia Artist Management for several British Military Tours of North America and co-produced the British Salute to the United States Bicentennial in 1976, featuring the Bands of the Royal Marines and Black Watch (Royal Highland Regiment). He also produced and directed the “Tall Ships Tattoo” in Newport, Rhode Island which featured a cast of over 5,000 performers with canons and fireworks made by Paul Revere.

Prior to his appointment to the Academy, CAPT Force was the band director for the championship Port Chester (New York) High School Band. Today, many of his former high school students serve as professional musicians in Symphony Orchestras and/or are preeminent music educators. CAPT Force’s last appearance with this band was at the Tournament of Roses Parade in 1971.

CAPT Force is also an arranger/composer, and composed and coordinated the musical sequences for the battle scenes in the Dustin Hoffman movie “Little Big Man.” The State of New York commissioned him to compose full cantatas for chorus, soloists and band based on the 1789 Inauguration of President George Washington and another based on the life of Martin Luther King Jr. Among the world’s great bands, he has conducted “The President’s Own” United States Marine Band; the Bands of the Grenadier Guards, the Welsh Guards, the Royal Marines, and the Black Watch; and, the Royal Military Band of the Netherlands.

In 2002, CAPT Force was named an Honorary Alumnus of the U.S. Merchant Marine Academy in honor of his years of devoted service to the Academy. He also served as President of the Board of Directors of the famed Goldman Memorial Band for many years. CAPT Force was also elected to honorary membership in the prestigious American Bandmasters Association (one of eight in the world), and received the Daughters of the American Revolution Medal of Honor in 2004.

The New York Times referred to him in 1989 as a “human encyclopedia of military and ceremonial music.” In 2004, Dale Lewis, Executive Director of the Usdan Center for Creative and Performing Arts, referred to him as “an American treasure” when presenting him with their Lifetime Achievement Award. Perhaps most fittingly, the Chairman of the National Endowment of the Arts cited CAPT Force in part with these words,

“devoting your life’s work to one of the most soul-stirring of music genres…band music, your expertise as a composer/conductor/music historian will, hopefully, continue to inspire students and audiences for years to come.”

In a January 2009 article, the New York Times noted his eleven Presidential Inaugural parade record. His proudest achievement by far was getting a statue erected to John Philip Sousa at the “President’s Own” - U.S. Marine Band Rehearsal facilities in Washington, D.C. The plaque, placed by the U.S. Marine Corps, has the following inscribed on the back of the base, “Imagination of Captain Kenneth R. Force, USMA” along with the “Fund Raising leadership of John Philip Sousa IV.” “ACTA NON VERBA!”

HUZZAH!

What scares me the most about your post is the thought of you saving that article to your computer…

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90212]C.captain, got good news for you. Turns out I wont be becoming a slug or be joining the marching band. Just got a big fat “Denied” on my application status haha.[/QUOTE]

Whiplasher, for what’s it’s worth, I recommended my nephew’s son not to apply to Kings Point, rather I strongly recommend he apply for admission to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy. Kings Point has turned into a total mess, in my opinion, and I’m a graduate from a half a century ago when Kings Point was a US Merchant Marine Academy. Yes, KP is free, GLMA will cost around 20 grand a year yet you will receive a top notch education without all the worthless trappings involved at Kings Point. Mind you, I never visited GLMA but I have close pals, from my shipping years, who tell me GLMA is exactly what I want to see KP turn into, namely an institution with no regimental system, no Service Academy, simply a great institution dedicated to producing excellent marine engineers and mates for the US Merchant Marine. Check it out:

https://www.nmc.edu/maritime/admissions/index.html

There are other State Academies which are equally top notch.

Don’t feel bad you didn’t make muster at this half ass military academy. Life is full of rejections, most for the good if you look in all the right places.

I wish you the best of luck…

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90226]What scares me the most about your post is the thought of you saving that article to your computer…[/QUOTE]

never give up ALL your weapons in any disarmament agreement!

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90227]Whiplasher, for what’s it’s worth, I recommended my nephew’s son not to apply to Kings Point, rather I strongly recommend he apply for admission to the Great Lakes Maritime Academy. Kings Point has turned into a total mess, in my opinion, and I’m a graduate from a half a century ago when Kings Point was a US Merchant Marine Academy. Yes, KP is free, GLMA will cost around 20 grand a year yet you will receive a top notch education without all the worthless trappings involved at Kings Point. Mind you, I never visited GLMA but I have close pals, from my shipping years, who tell me GLMA is exactly what I want to see KP turn into, namely an institution with no regimental system, no Service Academy, simply a great institution dedicated to producing excellent marine engineers and mates for the US Merchant Marine. Check it out:

https://www.nmc.edu/maritime/admissions/index.html

There are other State Academies which are equally top notch.

Don’t feel bad you didn’t make muster at this half ass military academy. Life is full of rejections, most for the good if you look in all the right places.

I wish you the best of luck…[/QUOTE]

Ya I am not that upset but having to tell my mother is going to be a problem. She just called and asked how my interview went for the nomination went today. So It will be very interesting in 20 minutes here. The money was never a problem. In fact I can get in state tuition at every state academy. I think what killed me was the damn DoDMERB, I had a diagnose of ADHD when I was very young which waved a red flag.

But not getting accepted is not going to stop me. I plan on attending SUNY I think it is a excellent school for the most part. But I am starting all the paper work to apply to all the ones in the US. Even if I don’t get accepted to any of them I am still going to work in this field. That is one thing I am certain about.

[QUOTE=c.captain;90228]never give up ALL your weapons in any disarmament agreement![/QUOTE]

That is the very scary thing about this day and age. ANYTHING you put on the internet will NEVER go away!

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90231]That is the very scary thing about this day and age. ANYTHING you put on the internet will NEVER go away![/QUOTE]

So - There’s a lot of good with the internet, use it as a tool. Your honest posts tell me you will find no problem. Be your own man.

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90234]So - There’s a lot of good with the internet, use it as a tool. Your honest posts tell me you will find no problem. Be your own man.[/QUOTE]

Oh yes the internet is a wonderful thing. gcaptain if a fine example haha. But you might want to be careful calling me a “man” c.captain might get on you for that. :wink:

There’s still The Citadel…ahahaha

Doesnt USMMA do a affirmative-action-like admissions for each region or state?

[QUOTE=Whiplasher;90236]Oh yes the internet is a wonderful thing. gcaptain if a fine example haha. But you might want to be careful calling me a “man” c.captain might get on you for that. ;)[/QUOTE]

Well we will just turn the pointy stick on him.

Oh god haha! But I don’t think I will ever be able to take the term pointy stick seriously. It probably comes from attending an all boys schools which will not help my case. Maybe we should change it to pointy swords because they are at least shiny unlike sticks that are all crusty and old like c.captain. :wink:

[QUOTE=Sweat-n-Grease;90262]Well we will just turn the pointy stick on him.[/QUOTE]

We’ll just have to see about that S-n-G, now won’t we?

//youtu.be/X0aytlVtIxU

YOU FEELIN FROGGY PARDNER? WELL JUMP!

Are you calling s-n-g cute!?!?