USCG QMED Course or just take the test?

i have 166 12 hour days of sea (as a wiper) which i believe is really 249 days for the coast gaurd i believe. now my question is. are there any schools where i could get my qmed rating that isnt a 30 day course or longer. when im home id only like to use no more than 14 days to take a course and just get the license. Or i could test for it at the coast guard station but then id have to apply, then get approved, then finally take the test. im looking for whatever is the fastest route to finally get this done.

Its 120 12hr days for a qmed ticket. Why wouldnt you just apply, sit and get your fancy new stickers ? A few week long class for a qmed ticket seems like a horrible waste for just that. It would probably only take you 6-8 weeks from application to test to stickers…?

You have to apply either way, so I don’t see that as a huge issue. WIth a QMED application, assuming all is well on your physical it shouldn’t take all that long to process.

I don’t know if this is for you, but I just signed up for the 9 day QMED course put on by SeaSchool in Mobile. Seemed like the best fit for me.

ya i saw the school at sea school but that is for oiler OSV. Ya i think im just going to test that seems to be the easiest and quickest way.

You have to apply anyway.
There is this guy on GCaptain who is going to give away a free set of QMED study books on Sept. 12 to a deserving person … look for the thread and state why you would be most deserving and the books could be yours.

[QUOTE=Flyer69;117857]You have to apply anyway.
There is this guy on GCaptain who is going to give away a free set of QMED study books on Sept. 12 to a deserving person … look for the thread and state why you would be most deserving and the books could be yours.[/QUOTE]

thanks man i already posted on your thread. im the guy in singapore who needs the books so i can study to take the test. thank you for doing that.

Singapore …
Jesus, maybe you could give me a hint as to the best way to get these books to you if you win the contest… in a timely manner without costing me a fortune.

im only here working i actually do live stateside in maine. and if i did win i wouldnt expect for you to pay shipping thats very generous of you

I get home September 12 after I finish this hitch. You may be the recipient of those books, shipping them to Maine will be easy, thats where I live.

hmmm i should be home the same time haha what company do you work for?