USCG NMC issued wrong license

Good day sirs,

I just passed my Inland Mate AGT exam last month. I just received my sticker the other day. It reads as:

MATE

Of self-propelled vessels not including auxiliary sail of less than 1,600 gross register tons (GRT) upon inland waters.

So it looks like the NMC issued me a lousy 1,600 ton inland mate license.

Any help or words of wisdom would be appreciated for this new Deck officer.

Thank you in advance.

I’ll share some wisdom;
Whenever you’re working on clogged plumbing, the first and most important rule is KEEP YOUR MOUTH SHUT.

What did the Coast Guard say about the issue?

While your situation is the opposite of my little story, I just thought some might find it interesting.

A guy that I worked with went to the REC to test for a Chief Mate’s License in 1988. This is back in to days when you would test and be issued your new License on the same day, as long as you passed.

So, this guy comes back and is acting really weird. Once he calmed down he showed me a Un-Limited Master Ocean License.

He was trying to get a Job as Captain so he had at least one day of “Sailing” on this License as if you sailed on it the C.G. Could / would not take it back.

Some might call B.S. on this but I know two people personally that had this happen to them.

Good Luck on getting it straightened out. Hopefully it will not take to long.

[QUOTE=The Dood;162813]Good day sirs,

I just passed my Inland Mate AGT exam last month. I just received my sticker the other day. It reads as:

MATE

Of self-propelled vessels not including auxiliary sail of less than 1,600 gross register tons (GRT) upon inland waters.

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

Start by calling the NMC and explain the situation. Chances are the it will get straightened out in pretty short order. My last credential renewal was issued with a mistake and after calling a new one was issued shortly thereafter…

I just contacted the REC examiner. Thanks a lot for the responses. I will update ASAP.

Why would he keep his mouth shut when his license is lower than he tested for?

Like everyone said, call the NMC and explain. I’m sure it won’t be too much to correct it.

[QUOTE=The Dood;162813]Good day sirs,

MATE

Thank you in advance.[/QUOTE]

NMC probably knows more about this, and can do more about this than the readership of gCaptain.

Yeah but you’re counted amongst our readership!

[QUOTE=LI_Domer;162967]Yeah but you’re counted amongst our readership![/QUOTE]
I was including myself.

I made this thread on memorial day weekend knowing it would be a while before I could talk to the NMC, just to get a feel of what to expect (headaches etc.).
I appreciate the responses. The issue has been resolved and would like to let anyone know that if this situation happens to them they can be rest assured that it was relativity painless.

Again, thanks for your time.

Cheers.

I was a second engineer unlimited instead of my second mate unlimited once - it took six months to fix. Call into the NMC and ask nicely to speak with a supervisor - they are getting better at dealing with issues and wrong endorsements.

If you cannot get through try hiring an intermediary I’ve used Andy Hammond in the past to communicate with the coast guard on my behalf.

Good luck getting it straightened out.