USCG Ice Pilot Endorsement?

An old shipmate of mine wanted me to research for him if the CG is in the process of implementing any type of “Ice Pilot” endorsement.
He is working in Antarctica and getting lots of ice breaking experience but would like something stamped in his MMC to prove it for his “book of tricks”.
Anybody?..Bueller?..Cavo?..Bueller?..anybody?..

I’d imagine not, but what do I know. Sorry for being off topic but if you haven’t read it I’d recommend reading “In The Kingdom of Ice” by Hampton Sides. It’s about Capt. George Washington DeLong’s arctic expedition. Almost done with it and I really liked it. I think anyone here’d enjoy it, but especially anyone who’s worked in the Arctic/Antarctic.

of course there in no endorsement for navigation in ice…anyone can read a CFR and know that

See that Ice Berg over there?

Yes.

Ok, don’t hit it. Your now an Ice Pilot, next!

The IMO is in the process of implementing a Polar Code. They anticipate STCW Ice Navigation courses and required STCW endorsements. AVTEC has been putting together a STCW Ice Navigation course. Memorial University in St. Johns, and several schools in Northern Europe have offered Ice Navigation courses for many years. I don’t know whether the USCG is considering a rulemaking on this.

If you are interested in Ice Navigation, I highly recommend Norvold Kjaerstad’s book, Ice Navigation.

the AVTEC Ice Navigation course has been approved by the Coast Guard and there is currently a class underway.

What type of work does he do in Antarctica?

Chouest’s R/V Nathaniel B. Palmer sails the Antarctic for the National Science Foundation.

[QUOTE=Robert;147833]the AVTEC Ice Navigation course has been approved by the Coast Guard and there is currently a class underway.[/QUOTE]

To clarify regarding the subject of this thread, there are no requirements for anyone to take an ince navighatioon course in order to get any MMC endorsements, nordoes the Coast Guard issue endorsements for ice pilot or simiular. Your course is approved to meet a knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code for Chief Mate and Master. It substitutes for doing a few of the required assessments, but no one is required to take the course, mariners can do the assessments on a vessel instead.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;147879]To clarify regarding the subject of this thread, there are no requirements for anyone to take an ince navighatioon course in order to get any MMC endorsements, nordoes the Coast Guard issue endorsements for ice pilot or simiular. Your course is approved to meet a knowledge, understanding and proficiency in Table A-II/2 of the STCW Code for Chief Mate and Master. It substitutes for doing a few of the required assessments, but no one is required to take the course, mariners can do the assessments on a vessel instead.[/QUOTE]

Of course you are correct, and I didn’t mean to imply that attendance at any course is a requirement. It is no different that any other assessments out there, you always have the option to do them at sea.

[QUOTE=Atomicskier8;147860]What type of work does he do in Antarctica?[/QUOTE]

CM on the Palmer

The AVTEC 10 day Ice Navigation course looks very good. I hope to take it next year.