Uscg engineer license & us navy experience

Experts, Good afternoon. I’m looking for some advice - 1. Below is my statement of sea service I’m drafting for my USCG Engineer license application. I’ve read the NMC, CFR’s, and some website advice sections, but I would like to know if my statement has enough content for best chances at being accepted the first go around? 2. Also, reading the CFR on military sea service for Engineer Officer license, I served in (2) Chief Engineer diesel tours, one on USS SAFEGUARD and the most recent on USS SAN DIEGO; both vessels are 4,000 or greater shaft horsepower and combined where 52 months. What are the chances that the USCG REC will let me sit for the Unlimited Chief’s Motors Exam? 3. Regarding letters of recommendation and CFR’s - I will not have a letter from a USCG Licensed Chief Engineer. I will have letters from previous Ship Commanding Officer, Chief Engineer, and Port Engineer (USCG licensed Engineer), so will that be sufficient for the USCG REC? 4. Lastly, employment considerations - Supposing I earn my USCG Unlimited Chief Engineers Motors license, is it a reasonable expectation to be looking for a Chief Engineer position coming out of the US Navy? Or will it be more reasonable to be starting as a 3rd A/E and reproving myself with the Shipping Company and or Union? Any assistance would be sincerely appreciated. Cheers! Terry Patterson _______________________________________________________________________________________________________________________ Subj: STATEMENT OF SEA SERVICE ICO LCDR TERRANCE J. PATTERSON, USN, XXX-XX-0361 1. LCDR Terrance J. Patterson has served on active duty since 12 November 1986 and has 17 years, 1 month and 12 days of creditable sea service. He has 255 days of sea time within the last 3 years. 2. He has served on the vessels listed below: a. USS HEPBURN FF-1055 (AUG87-JUL89) – 4,200 tons displacement, (2) 1200 PSIG boilers, (1) steam turbine main engine and reduction gear, and 35,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Korean waters, Philippines, Hong Kong and South China Sea. Positions Held: Machinist Mate (Pay grade E-4/E-5). Qualified: (1) Cold Iron watch – performed security watch in machinery spaces, tank soundings, pump bilges, shifted potable water and reserve feed tanks, monitor boiler lay-ups and blow downs to maintain proper water level. (2) Auxiliary Machinery Machinist Mate of the Watch – Supervised (2) person watch team, operated and maintained (3) 750 KW Ship’s service turbo generators, hydraulic fin stabilizers, weapon systems cooling/heating pump system, HP/LP compressors and associated dehydrators. (3) Damage Control Central Supervisor – Supervised Cold Iron and Sounding and Security watch standers, responsible for monitoring supervisory alarms panels and making reports to the Engineering Duty Officer. (4) Fire Marshal – responsible for training and leading inport emergency team in combating fire and flooding casualties. b. USS PRAIRIE AD-15 (NOV89-NOV92) – 17,176 tons displacement, (4) 400 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines and reduction gears, and 11,300 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Korean waters, Philippines, Hong Kong, Persian Gulf and Taiwan Straits. Positions Held: Main Machinery Room Leading Petty Officer (Pay grade E-5/E-6). Qualified: (1) Cold Iron watch – performed security watch in machinery spaces, tank soundings, pump bilges, shifted potable water and reserve feed tanks, monitor boiler lay-ups and blow downs to maintain proper water level. (2) Engine Room Supervisor – Supervised (10) man watch team, operated and maintained (2) 400 PSIG boilers, (1) steam turbine main engine and reduction gear, (2) 1000 KW ship’s service turbo generators and associated auxiliaries. c. USS DUBUQUE LPD-8 (APR96-APR98) – 16,914 tons displacement, (2) 600 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines and reduction gears, and 24,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Japan waters, Korean waters, Taiwan Straits, Australian waters. Positions Held: Main Propulsion Chief Petty Officer (Pay grade E-6/E-7). Qualified: (1) Engine Room Supervisor – Supervised (10) man watch team, operated and maintained (2) 600PSIG boilers, (1) steam turbine main engine and reduction gear, (2) 750 KW ship’s service turbo generators, (1) evaporator, Nr. 2 Electrical switchboard and associated auxiliaries. (2) Engineering Officer of the Watch (EOOW) – Supervised (24) watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (2) 600 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines, (4) 750 KW ship’s service turbo generators, (2) evaporators, ship’s electrical distribution system, (2) emergency diesel generators and associated auxiliaries. (3) Engineering Duty Officer – Acting Engineer Officer (CHENG) in the incumbent’s absence. d. USS ABRAHAM LINCOLN CVN-72 (APR98-JAN00) – 97,000 tons displacement. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Australian waters, Hong Kong and Taiwan Straits. Positions Held: Auxiliary Division Chief Petty Officer (Pay grade E-7) Qualified: Engineering Duty Officer – Acting Engineer Officer (CHENG) and Damage Control Assistant in both the incumbent’s absence. Responsible for safe operation and maintenance of all engineering machinery spaces outside the nuclear propulsion plants and Supervised (4) man watch team in ship’s list control, ship’s electrical distribution system, (4) 1000 ton air-conditioning units, (23) fire and flushing pumps, (22) AFFF foam stations, (4) steam catapults, (4) aircraft elevator systems, (12) conveyors, (4) galleys, and (7) damage control repair stations. e. USS CORONADO AGF-11 (MAY00-MAY03) - 16,914 tons displacement, (2) 600 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines and reduction gears, and 24,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean to include transits for San Diego, CA to Pearl Harbor, HI and Cabo San Lucas, Mexico. Positions Held: Damage Control Assistant and Electrical Officer (Pay grade 0-1E and 0-2E). Qualified: (1) Engineering Officer of the Watch – Supervised (24) watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (2) 600 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines, (4) 750 KW ship’s service turbo generators, (2) 2000 KW Caterpillar Diesel Generators, (2) evaporators, ship’s electrical distribution system, (2) emergency diesel generators and associated auxiliaries. (2) Engineering Duty Officer – Acting Engineer Officer in the incumbent’s absence. (3) Officer of the Deck – Underway Officer of the Deck, responsible to the Commanding Officer for safe navigation of the ship. (4) Command Duty Officer – Acting Commanding Officer in the incumbent’s absence and responsible for the safe operation of the ship while inport. f. USS FORD FFG-54 (JUN03-OCT04) – 4,100 tons displacement, (2) General Electric (LM 2500) gas turbine engines, and 41,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Australian waters, Taiwan Straits, and Hong Kong. Positions Held: Main Propulsion Assistant (Pay grade 0-3E) and Acting Engineer Officer (CHENG) in the incumbent’s absence. Qualified: (1) Engineering Officer of the Watch – Supervised (6) man watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (2) LM 2500 gas turbine engines, (4) 750 KW diesel engine generators, (2) evaporators, hydraulic fin stabilizers, HP/LP compressors, ship’s electrical distribution system, (3) air-conditioning units and associated auxiliary equipment. (2) Command Duty Officer – Acting Commanding Officer in the incumbent’s absence and responsible for the safe operation of the ship while inport. g. USS SAFEGUARD ARS-50 (NOV04-SEP07) – 3,181 tons displacement, (4) Caterpillar TA-399D engines, and 4,200 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Japan waters, Korean waters, Hong Kong, Philippines, Indian Ocean, Malaysia, Singapore, and India waters. Positions Held: Engineer Officer (CHENG) (pay grade 0-3E). Qualified: (1) Engineering Officer of the Watch – Supervised (6) man watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (4) TA-399D Caterpillar main engines, (3) 750 KW diesel engine generators, (2) evaporators, HP/LP compressors, ship’s electrical distribution system, (3) air-conditioning units and associated auxiliary equipment. (2) Command Duty Officer – Acting Commanding Officer in the incumbent’s absence and responsible for the safe operation of the ship while inport. (3) Officer of the Deck – Underway Officer of the Deck, responsible to the Commanding Officer for safe navigation of the ship. h. USS SAN DIEGO LPD-22 (DEC10-MAY12) – 25,000 tons displacement, (4) Colt-Pielstick PC 2.5 STC Main Propulsion Diesel Engines, and 40,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Gulf of Mexico, Panama Canal transit and Pacific Ocean from Panama Canal to San Diego, CA. Positions Held: Engineer Officer (CHENG) (pay grade O4). Qualified: (1) Engineering Officer of the Watch – Supervised (7) man watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (4) Colt-Pielstick PC 2.5 STC Main Propulsion Diesel Engines, (5) 2500 KW Caterpillar Ship’s Service Diesel Engine Generators, (3) 70,000 GPD Reverse Osmosis Units, (5) 200-ton air-conditioning units, (3) Low-pressure air compressors, (2) MP air compressors, ship’s electrical distribution system, and associate auxiliary equipment. (2) Command Duty Officer – Acting Commanding Officer in the incumbent’s absence and responsible for the safe operation of the ship while inport. i. USS PELELIU LHA-5 (May12-Present) – 40,000 tons displacement, (2) 700 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines and reduction gears, and 70,000 shaft horsepower. Sailed Pacific Ocean, Australian waters, Indian Ocean, Persian Gulf, Positions Held: Main Propulsion Assistant (Pay grade 04. Qualified: (1) Engineering Officer of the Watch – Supervised (26) watch team members in the safe operation and maintenance of (2) 700 PSIG boilers, (2) steam turbine main engines, (4) 2500 KW ship’s service turbo generators, (2) 2000 KW Alco Ship’s Service Emergency Diesel Generators, (2) evaporators, ship’s electrical distribution system, and associated auxiliaries.