USCG 500ton master requirements - Upgrading from 200ton license

Greetings,

I am checking to see if anyone has an idea on how much sea time and uscg 500ton master requirements to upgrade from a 200 to a 500. I am an acadmey kid, so im a bit ass backwards when it comes to this… I currently hold, BST, radar, basic and advance fire fighting, and lifeboatmen. Anything else I need? I heard i need 720 sea days, is that sea days in total since starting my maritime career?

thanks for any and all help!

You’re an academy kid? Don’t you have 3rd Mate?

Anyhoo:

§ 11.420 Service requirements for mate of ocean steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of ocean steam and motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons is two years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to one year of the required service. One year of the required service must have been as a master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position while holding a license or endorsement as master, mate, or operator of uninspected passenger vessels. Six months of the required service as master, mate, or equivalent supervisory position must have been on vessels of over 50 gross tons.
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–1999–6224, 64 FR 63228, Nov. 19, 1999; USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11242, Mar. 16, 2009]
§ 11.421 Service requirements for mate of near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons.

The minimum service required to qualify an applicant for an endorsement as mate of near coastal steam or motor vessels of not more than 500 gross tons is two years total service in the deck department of ocean or near coastal steam or motor, sail, or auxiliary sail vessels. Service on Great Lakes and inland waters may substitute for up to one year of the required service. One year of the required service must have been on vessels of over 50 gross tons. Three months of the required service must have been as able seaman, boatswain, quartermaster, or equivalent position on vessels of over 50 gross tons while holding a certificate or endorsement as able seaman.
[CGD 81–059, 54 FR 138, Jan. 4, 1989, as amended by USCG–2006–24371, 74 FR 11242, Mar. 16, 2009]

720 12 hr days is the total service. You will need the following classes: Medical care provider, AB, Bridge Resource Management, Flashing Lights, and ARPA and GMDSS if the vessel you work on is equipped.

The seatime required for the upgrade is 3 months as a documented AB and atleast 1 yr (360 8hr-240 12hr) of service on vessels over 50 GRT.You will also have a full exam at the CG.

[QUOTE=ConsultantG;12885]720 12 hr days is the total service. You will need the following classes: Medical care provider, AB, Bridge Resource Management, Flashing Lights, and ARPA and GMDSS if the vessel you work on is equipped.

The seatime required for the upgrade is 3 months as a documented AB and atleast 1 yr (360 8hr-240 12hr) of service on vessels over 50 GRT.You will also have a full exam at the CG.[/QUOTE]

My understand, with the NEW system you needed ALL the classes as the third mate. just less sea time and less time as an ab and less tonnage

500 ton mate 90 days AB over 50 tons 720 days
1600 ton mate 180 days AB over 100 tons 720 days
3rd mate 180 days AB ( ? tonnage) 1080 days

STCW – (II/1, A-II/1, Policy Letter 01-02)
A. OICNW Required Approved Courses
B. OICNW-1-1A through OICNW-5-1C Assessments

Oops, your exactly correct…missed the “MATE”…that was for Master to Master. All the OICNW training is required, along with assessments, and sea time :slight_smile: