Upgrading to 2nd mate unlimited

Can someone please explain to me how the coast guard can put a tonnage restriction on my license if the boat I work on is over 1600 grt? I applied to upgrade and was told that I would receive 2nd mate with a tonnage restriction. No idea how that works. Appreciate it. Thank you

Two questions. Did you do 120 days on a vessel over 3000ITC when you submitted for 2nd Mate and did you ALSO request your restriction be lifted?

To my understanding you would be covered under the old Rules as long as you received your 3rd mate before March 2014. If after then you would fall under the new rules whatever they may be.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/checklists/pdfs/mcp_fm_nmc5_04_web.pdf?list1=%2Fnmc%2Fchecklists%2Fpdfs%2Fmcp_fm_nmc5_04_web.pdf&B1=GO!

This may help.

Got my license in July of 2011 so I’m covered under the old rule which I had no idea about. Never worked on a vessel over 3000ITC and no I didn’t ask for the restricted to be lifted. Just found out ma out it today when I called the nmc.

What license did you get in 2011? Third mate or 2nd mate?

So NMC is telling you that you have to upgrade to 2nd mate under the old rules because you had your license (3rd mate) in 2011?

Got my third mate in 2011

Sorry for the delayed response. Offshore slow internet. They are telling me I can upgrade to 2nd mate with a tonnage restriction cause my time is not enough. Trying to get my ducks in a row before I start shooting them

Color me confused. You have a 3/M license with no tonnage restriction correct? You are trying to upgrade to 2/M with no tonnage restriction. Your first post said you worked on vessels over 1600 GRT (did you mean GT?). Then in another post you said you never worked on a vessel over 3000 ITC (GT). Certainly their are unlimited non oilfield vessels that have a GRT and GT that are similar but both under 3000 but with a GRT over 1600 still unlimited. Just trying to figure out your time. Also with regards to talking about rules, I assume we are referring to the recent rule making which didn’t change the fact that you still need 50% of your time on vessels over 1600 GRT (3000 ITC). It dropped the other 50% down to 100 GRT though.

I have a 3rd mate AGT oceans currently trying to upgrade to a 2nd mate AGT with the 1600 master 3000ITC endorsement currently working on a boat that is 1691 GRT according to the spec sheet online and asking the office people

You need 180 days over 100 GRT, plus 180 over 1600 GRT while sailing on a 3rd mate license in order to upgrade to 2nd mate without a tonnage restriction. It sounds like you have enough days, but not enough over 1600. Simple solution is to keep working on the 1691 GRT boat until you have 180 days over 1600.

Need more info I guess. Has all your time been on this vessel or a vessel over 1600T since you got your 3rd mate? If so, there must be more to the story because I don’t see why the would put a restriction on you.

What type of vessel?

Are your days counted as 1.5 days or day for day?

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144833]Can someone please explain to me how the coast guard can put a tonnage restriction on my license if the boat I work on is over 1600 grt? I applied to upgrade and was told that I would receive 2nd mate with a tonnage restriction. No idea how that works. Appreciate it. Thank you[/QUOTE]

You need 180 days on a vessel over 1,600 GRT, if you have less than that, you will get the tonnage restriction. Without knowing specifics, I suspect this is the issue. If the largest vessel you worked on was 1,691 GRT, and if you have less than 180 days on that vessel, your 2nd Mate would be limited to 2,000 GRT. See 46 CFR 11.402.

[QUOTE=AB Murph;144837]To my understanding you would be covered under the old Rules as long as you received your 3rd mate before March 2014. If after then you would fall under the new rules whatever they may be.[/QUOTE]

It doesn’t matter. The rules for tonnage limits for “unlimited” licenses and the regs for 2nd and 3rd Mate weren’t substantially changed as they would apply here, i.e. the minimum service/tonnage to avoid a tonnage limit was not chnaged, nor were the requirements for 2nd Mate. This notwithstanding, it’s not when “t.mcg” received the 3rd Mate license that determines whether the old rules may be used, it’s the first day of service used to qualify for 2nd Mate, i.e. the first day of service as 3rd Mate.

It doesn’t matter. The tonnage rules for “unlimited” licenses and the regs for 2nd and 3rd Mate weren’t substantially changed. This notwithstanding, it’s not when “t.mcg” received the 3rd Mate license that determines whether the old rules may be used, it’s the first day of service used to qual;ify for 2nd Mate, i.e. the first day of service as 3rd Mate.[/QUOTE] So, if he has a combination of sea days thats ranges from before and after the rules came in effect can he pick what rules he wants to go under? Or he has to use the old rules because his first day of service was before the changes? And if he can pick what rules apply, does he has to specify it in the application? The changes were not that big, but some people with 3rd mates tickets start in the industry as A/B on tug boats and most of those tugs are under 200 GT. The new rules lets you use sea days over 100GT, and thats something BIG for people out there. At least for some of those tug boat guys with 3rd mate tickets.

[QUOTE=0rion;144868]So, if he has a combination of sea days thats ranges from before and after the rules came in effect can he pick what rules he wants to go under? Or he has to use the old rules because his first day of service was before the changes? And if he can pick what rules apply, does he has to specify it in the application? The changes were not that big, but some people with 3rd mates tickets start in the industry as A/B on tug boats and most of those tugs are under 200 GT. The new rules lets you use sea days over 100GT, and thats something BIG for people out there. At least for some of those tug boat guys with 3rd mate tickets.[/QUOTE]

See NVIC 2-14. You are eligible for grandfathering if you began service or training for the endorsement you are applying for before March 24, 2014. In this case, all of the time needed for 2nd Mate has to be while holding 3rd Mate, so anythinig before getting 3rd Mate cannnot be used, and thus you cannot begin service for 2nd Mate before you had 3rd Mate.

I am not saying that the lowering of the minimum tonnage was not substantial, and revised my original post to clarify the limited scope of my response. My response was to “t.mcg” and nothing in his question suggested that the chnage in the minuimum tonnage from 200 GRT to 100 GRT applies to him/her.

As to whether you can choose, read the NVIC. For some chnages, like lowering the minimum tonnage, you don’t have to choose, we will use the new, lower standard for everyone.

Cavo, thanks for the response.

We are on the same page about the sea time that has to be while holding the 3rd mate ticket. (As A/B while holding 3rd mate. Up to a max of 180 days on vessels over 100gt)

I just asked about requesting to be evaluated under the new rules because not always the favorable rule is applied and in the NVIC it does not specify if it has to be requested or the CG will apply it automatically if they see that you meet the requirements.

Thanks again.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144858] a boat that is 1691 GRT[B] according to the spec sheet online and asking the office people[/B][/QUOTE]

BUT YOU CAN’T LOOK AT THE GODDAMN COD? You don’t deserve to upgrade to 2nd.

Does the vessel have both a domestic and and international tonnage certificate?
If the office is saying it’s 1691 GT (ITC), but it’s dually documented and has a GRT under 1600, there in lies your problem from what I’ve read.

http://www.uscg.mil/nmc/professional_qualifications/pdfs/crediting_sea_service.pdf

Policy Letter 11-12 refers only to vessels measured in both conventional and regulatory measurement systems i.e., Dual Tonnage.
● It applies to vessels that have both measurements, Gross Registered Tons (GRT) & Gross Tons (International Tonnage Convention) [GT (ITC)], in Marine Information for Safety and Law Enforcement (MISLE)-
 200 GRT = 500 GT (ITC)
 1600 GRT = 3,000 GT (ITC)
If a vessel only has ITC tonnage, then the ITC tonnage will be credited as Gross Registered Tons and the guidance in this policy letter would not apply. (In other words, vessel tonnage is listed as 2300 ITC and has no GRT listed, then the mariner would be credited with service on a vessel of 2300 GRT.)

It’s hard to look at it when I’m at home

I’ve worked 252 days working 12 hour watches on the same class of vessel so I should be covered under the 180 days