Upgrading to 2nd mate unlimited

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144889]I’ve worked 252 days working 12 hour watches on the same class of vessel so I should be covered under the 180 days[/QUOTE]

Sounds like you need a license consultant that knows how to talk to the people at NMC.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144889]I’ve worked 252 days working 12 hour watches on the same class of vessel so I should be covered under the 180 days[/QUOTE]

It depends on the type of vessel. Generally, the increased credit for 12 hour days is only available for 12 hours of watch, and only if the vessel was a type that is allowed by law to have two watches (tugs and OSVs on voyages of less than 600 miles).

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144887]It’s hard to look at it when I’m at home[/QUOTE]

Just use google. “Documented vessels of the us”. That should get you a link to the nmfs documented vessels database. Then look up your vessel by name or officail number. It will list the GRT or GT.

I’m on a osv all my time that I put my app in with was time on a osv.

I searched as you mention. According to that site I got gross tonnage 1691. Net tonnage 507 I guess this changes things with the numbers

It sounds like the vessel is 1691 GT not 1691 GRT.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144921]I searched as you mention. According to that site I got gross tonnage 1691. Net tonnage 507 I guess this changes things with the numbers[/QUOTE]

For licesning, net tonnage is irrelevant. The issue is what type of “gross tons.” Is it Gross Registered Tons (GRT), or Gross Tons (GT) under the International Tonnage Convention (ITC). The GRT is usually lower than the GT. There is no way to convert one to the other, but for licensing purposes the Coast Guard considers 1,600 GRT to be equivalent to 3,000 GT, see 46 CFR 10.232(i). If you’re going for 2nd Mate, the threshold for whether or not you get a tonnage limt is 1,600 GRT and/or 3,000 GT. If all your time is on this one vessel, you would not get a tonnage limit if the vessel is 1,691 GRT, but you will get one if it is 1,691 GT. I suspect it is GT as there are advantages to keeping a vessel under 1,600 GRT, and once that threshold is crossed, it’s usually by more than 91 GRT.

[QUOTE=t.mcg;144920]I’m on a osv all my time that I put my app in with was time on a osv.[/QUOTE]

If the vessel is an OSV, it is almost certainly measured under GT as most OSVs are measured under GT only.

I’ll echo z-drive and say you should just stay a 3rd mate.

Can’t take the crossover 1600 master test without 2/M

Exactly…

was told I could get 2nd mate with a tonnage restriction and still be able to test for 1600 masters by the coast guard

Ya but thats still 2M like i said.

misread what you typed the first time. I apologize.

[QUOTE=Hoggy;145065]Can’t take the crossover 1600 master test without 2/M[/QUOTE]
You don’t have to hold 2M, you only have to qualify for it. You can take the Master 1600 module as soon as you pass all of the 2nd Mate exam.

As in everyone that takes their 3rd mate exam ( that includes the 2mate) can take the 1600 module. But you cant use the 1600 license (if you pass it) until you meet the sea day requirements to upgrade from 3rd to 2nd mate?

As in everyone that takes their 3rd mate exam ( that includes the 2mate) can take the 1600 module. But you cant use the 1600 license (if you pass it) until you meet the sea day requirements to upgrade from 3rd to 2nd mate?

[QUOTE=0rion;145092]As in everyone that takes their 3rd mate exam ( that includes the 2mate) can take the 1600 module. But you cant use the 1600 license (if you pass it) until you meet the sea day requirements to upgrade from 3rd to 2nd mate?[/QUOTE]

You have to [B]QUALIFY[/B] for 2nde Mate. If you don’t have the sea time, you do not [B]QUALIFY[/B] for 2nd Mate and thus you do not qualify for Master 1600.

Roger, qualify. I just got confused with the part were you mention pass the 2nd mate exam.