Upgrading to 2/M Unlimited on OSV under 3000 ITC

Appeal, appeal, appeal…don’t take no for an answer. Go as high as you have to to get what you deserve. Email these people: thad.w.allen@uscg.mil; david.c.stalfort@uscg.mil
jennifer.m.Hogge@uscg.mil and even your Congressman if you get no results from these folks.
I am not a militant or a shit starter but I am also not a sheep…it worked for me…:mad::eek::rolleyes:

[QUOTE=back sight;17437]I was hoping we could shed a little more light on this topic. I have the same question of advancing from 3M to 2M on a vessel under 3000ITC - but not OSV. Is the rule different for say smaller drill ships or research vessels - “special purpose vessels”.

To me the rules seem contradictory. Hopefully someone can make this more clear for me.

The following section makes me believe that I need to be on a 10,000ton vessel or 6,500 x 150% to upgrade my unlimited.

[B]§ 11.402 Tonnage requirements for ocean or near coastal endorsements for vessels of over 1600 gross tons.[/B]

<stars> I If the applicant for an endorsement as master or mate does not have the service on vessels over 1600 gross tons required by paragraph (a) of this section, or is qualifying for third mate under the provisions of §11.407© of this subpart, a tonnage limitation is placed on the endorsement based on the applicant’s qualifying experience. The endorsement is limited to the maximum tonnage on which at least 25 percent of the required experience was obtained, or 150 percent of the maximum tonnage on which at least 50 percent of the service was obtained, whichever is higher. Limitations are in multiples of 1000 gross tons, using the next higher figure when an intermediate tonnage is calculated. When the calculated limitation equals or exceeds 10,000 gross tons, the applicant is issued an unlimited tonnage endorsement."[/I]

From this section it seems as though ANYTHING under 10,000 would have a limitation put on the license upgrade. I cant find anything that talks about 3000ITC - even though I have heard of many folks with it.

Under the definitions you will find the following for Gross tons and ITC

[I]Gross register tons (GRT) [/I]means the gross ton measurement of the vessel under 46 U.S.C. chapter 145, Regulatory Measurement. For a vessel measured under only 46 U.S.C. chapter 143, Convention Measurement, the vessel’s gross tonnage, ITC is used to apply all thresholds expressed in terms of gross register tons.
[I]Gross tonnage, ITC (GT ITC) [/I]means the gross tonnage measurement of the vessel under 46 U.S.C. chapter 143, Convention Measurement. Under international conventions, this parameter may be referred to as “gross tonnage (GT).”

This is confusing because of the 1600/3000ITC - From the definitions it seems GT = ITC - is this not the case? If it is they why the distinction? I thought the point of ITC was to standardize the measurement.

Can anyone point me to where it talks about 3000ITC in the CFR’s - I cant seem to find it.

Thanks

</stars>[/QUOTE]

Policy Letter 15-02 clarifies it.

Its crazy that your license depends on what evaluator you have. A couple years ago I used almost all OSV time to upgrade to 2nd mate unlimited and recently I used 4 months of OSV time to upgrade to Chief Mate Unlimited. This is the first I’ve heard of people getting tonnage restrictions put on their licenses. That will certainly prevent Offshore companies from getting any academy grads to work for them. [I]Third Mate[/I] did you ever get a response from the coast guard about your application?

[QUOTE=JBPA;29451]Its crazy that your license depends on what evaluator you have. A couple years ago I used almost all OSV time to upgrade to 2nd mate unlimited and recently I used 4 months of OSV time to upgrade to Chief Mate Unlimited. This is the first I’ve heard of people getting tonnage restrictions put on their licenses. That will certainly prevent Offshore companies from getting any academy grads to work for them. [I]Third Mate[/I] did you ever get a response from the coast guard about your application?[/QUOTE]

What you explained hasn’t changed one iota. Tonnage restriction is based on tonnage, not OSV. You can go all the way to Chief Mate and half way to Master on an OSV.

Maybe I should have explained further, my OSV was only 1598 ITC.