Unlimited engineering license renewal clarification

I am looking for some clarification in regards to sea time required to maintain an Unlimited CE license. I recently changed careers and am now employed on a vessel that is around 300T and under 3000HP. I have had an Unlimited CE license for several years and until recently have always sailed on vessels that met the criteria of unlimited HP / Tonnage.
With the new STCW rules, will I be able to maintain my Unlimited license while working on my current vessel (300T / < 3000HP) or will I end up with some type of limitation?
Thanks

I’m under the impression once you get it you got it. I’ve never heard of working on less than what your license is rated runs a risk of downgrading at the next renewal?

Say a 1600 ton oceans master decides to get a day job running a less than 100 ton boat? Pretty sure when he renews he doesn’t lose the tonnage. Only thing similiar to your question is for folks with towing endorsements…they need to show proof of towing to keep it…or at least some of my tug friends say thats that case.

[QUOTE=FWE;155297]
With the new STCW rules, will I be able to maintain my Unlimited license while working on my current vessel (300T / < 3000HP) or will I end up with some type of limitation?
[/QUOTE]

Oh geez, don’t give them any ideas …

[QUOTE=Steamer;155364]Oh geez, don’t give them any ideas …[/QUOTE]
Too late. …

[QUOTE=Steamer;155364]Oh geez, don’t give them any ideas …[/QUOTE]
Too late.

[QUOTE=FWE;155297]I am looking for some clarification in regards to sea time required to maintain an Unlimited CE license. I recently changed careers and am now employed on a vessel that is around 300T and under 3000HP. I have had an Unlimited CE license for several years and until recently have always sailed on vessels that met the criteria of unlimited HP / Tonnage.
Thanks[/QUOTE]
Sea time is NOT required to renew a national endorsement (license). If you don’t have at least one year of service in the last five years, you take a open-book, at home renewal test.

If you have the sea time, it should not matter what the tonnage or horsepower was. Look at the renewal requirements in 46 CFR 10.227(e)(1): [I]Present evidence of at least 1 year of sea service during the past 5 years[/I]

Now, look at the recency requirements to upgrade in 46 CFR 11.201©(2): …[I]at least 3 months of required service [U]on vessels of appropriate tonnage or horsepower[/U] within the 3 years immediately preceding the date of application[/I]. [emphasis added]

The difference is intentional, and the absence of the tonnage/horsepower language from the renewal requirements means the time to renew does is just any sea service, it does not need to be on vessels of a tonnage or HP that corresponds to the endorsement being renewed.

For STCW until December 31, 2016, you need to show continued validity of Basic Safety Training by either one year of sea service in the last five years, or completing original or refresher courses. Also, if you renew your Chief Engineer STCW endorsement and do not have courses for Engine Resource Management, Leadership and Managerial Skills, and Management of Electrical and Electronic Control Equipment, your STCW endorsement will have a limitation that it is not valid after December 31, 2016. To renew this limitation, before or after December 31, 2016, you need to take the courses.

For the first time you renew STCW after December 31, 2016, you will need to have revalidation or refresher courses for Basic Training, Advanced Fire Fighting, and Proficiency in Survival Craft. If you have the one year in five, you can take shorter “revalidation” courses for just BT and Advanced FF. If you don’t have the one year in five, you need longer “refresher” courses. If you have not taken them already, you will also need the ERM, Leadership, and Electrical/Electronic Control Equipment courses.

Thank you for the clarification and the detail surrounding the Engineering courses…