Question for Mr Cavo

I have my 1600 ton Master oceans. I have disharges from 1987 from doing towing on the West Coast. Can I use that sea time to get my towing endorsement ? The company is out of business so if any kind of a letter is needed
I’m out of luck.

[QUOTE=bshaggnasty;158287]I have my 1600 ton Master oceans. I have disharges from 1987 from doing towing on the West Coast. Can I use that sea time to get my towing endorsement ? The company is out of business so if any kind of a letter is needed
I’m out of luck.[/QUOTE]

It’s probably going to be the same as if you didn’t have that time on tugs. The STCW 2010 rulemaking also re-opened grandfathering to towing licenses for service before 2001. However, you have to document 90 days service on tugs before 2001, and complete a TOAR. Completing the TOAR will require time on a towing vessel, at least 30 days if not more. Since you have a 1600 ton license, you can get the same thing by completing the TOAR and getting at least 30 days on a towing vessel. So it probably doesn’t matter that you have prew-2001 towing vessel time…

Thanks for taking the time to answer that.

Dear Mr. Cavo,

I have observed how helpful you have been in the forums here, so I am requesting guidance on Horsepower limitations (11.503)(c):

I have always sailed on vessels of 4000 hp or less, although I have had my Chief Limited Oceans for several years now. 6000 hp license, and I will now be sailing on a 5000 hp vessel, and I am looking to move to the unlimited side as I am ready to test for my 2nd. Would it be preferable to apply for removal of my horsepower limitations after I apply for my 2nd, or should I apply for the removal of horsepower limitations as I apply for the 2nd, or is there any difference.I have read through the CFRs several times with my shipmates, and this one seems to confound us.

Thanks in advance…

[QUOTE=Waverunner55;159458]Dear Mr. Cavo,

I have observed how helpful you have been in the forums here, so I am requesting guidance on Horsepower limitations (11.503)(c):

I have always sailed on vessels of 4000 hp or less, although I have had my Chief Limited Oceans for several years now. 6000 hp license, and I will now be sailing on a 5000 hp vessel, and I am looking to move to the unlimited side as I am ready to test for my 2nd. Would it be preferable to apply for removal of my horsepower limitations after I apply for my 2nd, or should I apply for the removal of horsepower limitations as I apply for the 2nd, or is there any difference.I have read through the CFRs several times with my shipmates, and this one seems to confound us.

Thanks in advance…[/QUOTE]

They are treated separately, so it doesn’t matter. iof you do them on one application, or separate. It’s probably easier and cheaper to apply once.

Sir, will 180 days over 4000 hp on a vessel under 1600 tons give me both an unlimited horsepower on my Chief Engineer Oceans and an opportunity to upgrade to unlimited 2nd/3rd Assistant?

V/r

46 CFR 11.503 Depends on how many days of sea time you have and what percentage of them were on a vessel >=4000HP.

Why not test for 1A/E? 360 (8-hour) days as Chief(Limited). 46 CFR 11.512

[QUOTE=Waverunner55;159538]Sir, will 180 days over 4000 hp on a vessel under 1600 tons give me both an unlimited horsepower on my Chief Engineer Oceans and an opportunity to upgrade to unlimited 2nd/3rd Assistant?

V/r[/QUOTE]

See 46 CFR 11.503©:

I The following service on vessels of 4,000 HP/3,000 kW or more will be considered qualifying for raising or removing the propulsion power limitations placed on an engineer endorsement:

(1) Six months of service in the highest-grade endorsed: Removal of all propulsion power limitations.

(2) Six months of service as an engineer officer in any capacity other than the highest grade for which the applicant is licensed or endorsed: Removal of all propulsion power limitations for the grade in which service is performed and raised to the next higher grade endorsement to the propulsion power of the vessel on which service was performed. The total cumulative service before and after issuance of the limited engineer endorsement may be considered in removing all propulsion power limitations.[/I]

My office handles appeals of NMC decisions, so I cannot give a specific interpretation as it would apply to you, I may later be involved in the appeal of an NMC decision on the same question.

That’s my next trick, removal of HP limits. One month down, five to go. Not easy when you’re doing it piecemeal! lol

Sorry to thread jack on you guys but I am hoping that this post still has your attention Mr. Cavo. I have a 3rd mate unlimited, I’m currently sailing as a mate on a tug and plan to do so for my career. Question is having taken the 3rd mate/2nd mate test, and I have heard that 2nd mate equals out to a 1600t master will I have to retest when I am ready to upgrade? Any insight you have is appreciated.

[QUOTE=Tugboat paddy;163463]Sorry to thread jack on you guys but I am hoping that this post still has your attention Mr. Cavo. I have a 3rd mate unlimited, I’m currently sailing as a mate on a tug and plan to do so for my career. Question is having taken the 3rd mate/2nd mate test, and I have heard that 2nd mate equals out to a 1600t master will I have to retest when I am ready to upgrade? Any insight you have is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

You will have to take another test to receive your 1600t master after you upgrade from 3rd to 2nd, but it’s not nearly as intensive as the seven tests you take to get your 3rds. Just one test for the 1600t master.

Thanks for the reply. I figured there was another test being its a “management” position. Cheers.

[QUOTE=Tugboat paddy;163463]Sorry to thread jack on you guys but I am hoping that this post still has your attention Mr. Cavo. I have a 3rd mate unlimited, I’m currently sailing as a mate on a tug and plan to do so for my career. Question is having taken the 3rd mate/2nd mate test, and I have heard that 2nd mate equals out to a 1600t master will I have to retest when I am ready to upgrade? Any insight you have is appreciated.[/QUOTE]

2nd Mate doesn’t “equal” Master 1600. You can’t work as Master with a 2nd Mate endorsement (except for vessels less than 100 GRT). But, if you have or qualify for 2nd Mate you can get Master 1600 with a one-module exam.

[QUOTE=jdcavo;159588]See 46 CFR 11.503©:

I The following service on vessels of 4,000 HP/3,000 kW or more will be considered qualifying for raising or removing the propulsion power limitations placed on an engineer endorsement:

(1) Six months of service in the highest-grade endorsed: Removal of all propulsion power limitations.

(2) Six months of service as an engineer officer in any capacity other than the highest grade for which the applicant is licensed or endorsed: Removal of all propulsion power limitations for the grade in which service is performed and raised to the next higher grade endorsement to the propulsion power of the vessel on which service was performed. The total cumulative service before and after issuance of the limited engineer endorsement may be considered in removing all propulsion power limitations.[/I]

My office handles appeals of NMC decisions, so I cannot give a specific interpretation as it would apply to you, I may later be involved in the appeal of an NMC decision on the same question.[/QUOTE]

Sir,
Thank you for your advice as I am now approved to test for 1 A/E.
I now have a new question on policy. Once I have my 1A/E document in hand, will I be required to sail as a Second Engineer (1 A/E) 360 (8-hour) days to upgrade to Chief Unlimited, or am I able to continue running as Chief Limited for the required time to obtain the upgrade?

V/r

• Updated - - -
      • Updated - - -

Thanks txwooley _/)

Mr. Cavo,

I sat for my 1600 Master in June of 2001. I will be submitting for my Master Unlimited. I have no time spent on a vessel over 3000 GRT. All of my time is on vessels over 100 GRT and the last 6 years has been on vessels just under 3000 GRT. Assuming I qualify and am approved for the Unlimited Master and pass the exam, would I receive a Master Unlimited with a tonnage restriction? In the event I only qualify or am approved for the 3rd Mate Unlimited, would I be issued the license with a tonnage restriction?

If I were to receive an “unlimited license” with a tonnage restriction, in what capacity would I be able to serve on a vessel over 3000 GRT? For example, could I serve as a 3rd mate on a vessel over 10,000 GRT even if I had a tonnage restriction on my 3rd mate license?

I look forward to your reply.