Unknown Naval ship in Amelia,LA

does anyone know which naval ship in moored at southern recycling in Amelia,LA? I saw her from Hwy 90. no info on internet or local news about her arrival.

much thanks in advance.

get me a photo and I’ll have full history for you in 30min tops

Any kind of a description? Hull numbers?

I Seen her from hwy 90. thinking about going back for a few photos before she’ s cut up. first glance, she may be another oiler like the USS Merrimac which was dismantled at the same facility last year, but can’t be certain.

Was just there myself the other day forgot to get the name but they said she just showed up recently to get scrapped from Norfolk I think

Just looking at some pictures I think it is the USS Platte AO-186

Geez, I’m getting old. I remember when that ship was brand new.

[QUOTE=seadog6608;149328]Geez, I’m getting old. I remember when that ship was brand new.[/QUOTE]

yeah, me too. nice little unrep oilers.

Just call us the Geezer Class.

I took a few photos this morning. looks like faded numbers could be USS Platte. please let me know what you all think. seems like a shame to scrap a ship in decent condition. only 32 years old.

photos available here:

[QUOTE=CaptDag;149462]I took a few photos this morning. looks like faded numbers could be USS Platte. please let me know what you all think. seems like a shame to scrap a ship in decent condition. only 32 years old.

photos available here:

https://www.flickr.com/photos/56155704@N02/15798690448/[/QUOTE]

While it may seem a shame to scrap a ship in apparent good relative condition, I just wonder how viable and economic it would be to keep operating. I see that the plant is steam, and let’s face it, that is pretty antiquated right off of the bat. Not sure that there is much commercial use for the specialized nature of the vessel.

[QUOTE=cmakin;149530]While it may seem a shame to scrap a ship in apparent good relative condition, I just wonder how viable and economic it would be to keep operating. I see that the plant is steam, and let’s face it, that is pretty antiquated right off of the bat. Not sure that there is much commercial use for the specialized nature of the vessel.[/QUOTE]

Is it even double hulled? If it was, then maybe, just maybe one could convert the hull into an ATB barge but with down oil prices and DoD regulations likely prohibiting further commercial service, not gonna happen even if it would technically work…

[QUOTE=c.captain;149543]Is it even double hulled? If it was, then maybe, just maybe one could convert the hull into an ATB barge but with down oil prices and DoD regulations likely prohibiting further commercial service, not gonna happen even if it would technically work…[/QUOTE]

The Platte was not double hulled, nor were the Kaiser class successors. There are still 15 Kaiser class oilers in service not including the one given to the Chilean navy.

Not to be contrary, but the last 3 Kaiser’s are double hulled. I still liked the looks of the little Cimarron’s though.

[QUOTE=Slick Cam;149562]Not to be contrary, but the last 3 Kaiser’s are double hulled. I still liked the looks of the little Cimarron’s though.[/QUOTE]

Your right the USNS Patuxent (T-AO 201), USNS Rappahannock (T-AO 204) and USNS Laramie (T-AO 203) are double hulled. Thanks.

I may be mistaken but I thought T-ATF’s were USNS Fleet Tugs…Mohawk, Apache etc…

Oops. Post corrected.

Not sure that the hull form would lend itself to being towed very well. . . . .

[QUOTE=cmakin;149600]Not sure that the hull form would lend itself to being towed very well. . . . .[/QUOTE]

not towed but pushed…you would need one very big assed vessel to push it though.

anyway, not an option but only a thought to spark discussion