Union slams "two watch system" study

AMAZING! A maritime union actually taking a stand in opposition to the desires of Joe Boss…I thought I would never see such a thing. The pity is that the MMP has very little influence over the sector of the industry that uses 6 and 6 watchkeeping practices.

[B]Union slams “two watch system” study[/B]

MM&P’s George Quick

APRIL 1, 2016 — The International Organization of Masters, Mates & Pilots (MM&P) says a recently released paper on the “six-on/six-off” watch system is “little more than an opinion piece intended to serve the interests of operators in the inland tug and barge industry.”

The paper, “Enhancing Sleep Efficiency on Vessels in the Tug/Towboat/Barge Industry,” is the product of Northwestern University and was sponsored by the National Cooperative Freight Research Program (NCFRP)

In the introduction, notes MM&P, the authors state that guidance in preparing the paper was provided by freight stakeholders with emphasis placed on representing the intended users.

The publishers state that, “The opinions and conclusions expressed or implied in this report are those of the researchers… and are not necessarily those of the Transportation Research Board; the National Academies of Sciences, Engineering, and Medicine; or the program sponsors.”

“It is interesting to note that the paper came out at the same time the National Transportation Safety Board (NTSB) identified fatigue in the transportation industry as a high priority issue that it needs to address,” says MM&P Vice President George Quick. “The timing, the methodology and the conclusions appear to be an attempt to justify the current six-on/six-off watch system in the towing industry. The paper is not based on an objective scientific study but on interviews as to the opinions of the stakeholders—company officials or employees—who have an interest in or are under pressure to shape the outcome.”

“Self-serving opinions combined with selected research papers on fatigue and sleep in a very different environment, such as astronauts in space, are used to justify inherently unsafe practices,” he adds.

Mr. Quick sees “a serious credibility issue” with the paper, calling it “essentially an advocacy position paper for the American Waterways Operators.”

As a counterpoint to the NCFRP paper, Quick points to Project Horizon, a multi-year scientific study of the impact on cognitive performance of watch-keeping patterns.In Project Horizon, which was sponsored by the European Commission, researchers analyzed data drawn from realistic scenarios using experienced watch-keepers working on ship simulators.

Project Horizon researchers found substantial risks caused by fatigue-induced impairment of cognitive ability in the six-on/six-off watch system.

“The NCFRP paper should be viewed in the context of the longstanding debate between regulators, companies and seafarers as to the solution to the endemic problem of fatigue-induced accidents in the maritime transportation industry that operates 24/7,” Mr. Quick says. “There is no doubt that fatigue is a serious problem. The debate is over the possible solutions.”

Because crewing costs money, companies argue that there is no need for additional crew members. Their position is that the problem can be solved through “effective management” of available resources, such as the Fatigue Resource Management System (FRMS) advocated in the NCFRP paper.

Seafarers and their advocates argue that both crewing and personnel management need to be addressed, and that in many cases vessels lack sufficient crew to manage fatigue. They view the FRMS as a way to shift the responsibility for fatigue from the company to the watchstander: if seafarers have a fatigue-related accident, they are blamed for not having properly managed their work and rest periods.

“To avoid fatigue and resulting accidents, there is clearly a need to match the crewing to the required operational workload,” Mr. Quick says. “In our view the NCFRP paper is just another example of the companies attempting to influence the upcoming NTSB review of fatigue in the transportation industry.”

[QUOTE=c.captain;182525]AMAZING! A maritime union actually taking a stand in opposition to the desires of Joe Boss…I thought I would never see such a thing. The pity is that the MMP has very little influence over the sector of the industry that uses 6 and 6 watchkeeping practices.[/QUOTE]

…already a flawed, piece of crap article seeing as George Quick is in fact not the MMP Vice President. He is Vice President of the MMP Pilot Membership Group, which has never made any sense seeing as you do not have to join the MMP to become a pilot and there is no preferential treatment given to MMP offshore or inland group guys vs AMHo.

or maybe I’m just fatigued and don’t know what I’m saying because I’m a watch standing C/M on a 300m box boat checking 300 reefers every fucking day while bullshitting my way through PMs I don’t have time to do while managing every deck dept member’s STCW hrs and OT entries, while playing doctor, waste mgmt and VGP enforcer, and whatever else I’m forgetting to do… while I fool myself into believing that I am standing a good nav watch maintaining situational awareness.

but sure, the manning levels of American ships, tugs, osvs, etc is fine, and so are the work schedules…

i think NCFRP really stands for Nat’l Corporate Fuckers Research Program.

I believe MM&P contracts with Crowley in the PNW might delve into this.

When I got fed up with the oilfield and started sailing SIU contracted tugs, The 6 & 6 was implemented on voyages less than 600 miles for the wheelhouse in the mid '80s. Our contracts evolved very well. We got OT after 6 and out of dept. OT was 1/8 and penalty OT was 1/12. 2 for 1 contributions on a wage related pension, Top tier medical company paid. 28/28 with paid transportation.

It only took a hand full of assholes milking the OT and demanding unemployment on their 28 days off to fuck that up.

I have never understood requesting unemployment pay when you are on your time off. Fucking scumbags.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;182541]I have never understood requesting unemployment pay when you are on your time off. Fucking scumbags.[/QUOTE]

It’s SOP if you’re sailing off the board. These were all permanent jobs. Same rules applied.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;182541]I have never understood requesting unemployment pay when you are on your time off. Fucking scumbags.[/QUOTE]

For the guys sailing off the board, they’re unemployed once finishing a tour, and who knows when they will be able to find something off the board again? So they’re really just taking advantage of what they pay into. I’ve personally never done it, and have taken a lot of hell for not doing so. Ho hum.

I’m more outraged by those who continue taking night mate work while waiting to fly out to a 120 day job they landed… but that’s a whole different story.

Never filed myself but I sailed union for a while and knew guys sailing on steady rotations that were filing for unemployment when they were off. ( and bragged about it). I’m sure it’s the tip of the iceberg when it comes to entitlement fraud.

If you are on a permanent equal time schedule and you file unemployment when you get home you are not a good american. Im not familiar with on the board off the board stuff. Im grateful to work equal time. I make a decent living and get to spend time with family amd friends. I would never try to take advantage or jeopardize this. If you need money that bad offer to work extra or cut someones fucking grass on your time off.

amen. Fucking nonsense yet some people on here will defend it as “their right.”

^^^ my feelings exactly but you wouldn’t believe how defensive these people got when I said the same thing. The same guys who get on their soapbox on frivolous demands at union meetings.

lol and I bet the politically vote “anti welfare anti entitlement” Etc too yet they’re the biggest fraudsters going.

Exactly. Its a two way street. I despise these types of people. They are the ones at the union meeting who holler and bitch to make stupid small gains that effect there own personal life meanwhile sacrificing the what is good for there fellow mariners. And this transfers over to normal society. They are the reason we have so many lawsuits and freedoms taken away from us nowadays. Act responsibly and take responsibility for your actions whether you are doing well or fucking up. When old curmudgeons like McCain start beating the war drum to get rid of the jones act you can bet they will waste no time pointing out the american mariners pulling stunts like this as ammo for there cause. Its a poor reflection on our whole industry.

I have a solution for anyone that thinks they need to collect unemployment on there 21 days off. First go f yourself. Then go apply at MSC. I know several people working there 10 months a year and they can never get a relief. They make over 200k a year and have all the work they want. So that should solve your problem. Thats assuming you would rather work than go home for 28 days and draw unemployment. I know thats not the case wink wink…

DEATH and an UNHOLY GUT-WRENCHING PLAGUE upon the 6/6 watch schedule.

[QUOTE=acesouthcoast;182576]If you are on a permanent equal time schedule and you file unemployment when you get home you are not a good american. Im not familiar with on the board off the board stuff. Im grateful to work equal time. I make a decent living and get to spend time with family amd friends. I would never try to take advantage or jeopardize this. If you need money that bad offer to work extra or cut someones fucking grass on your time off.[/QUOTE]

When I sailed permanent (company employee) with MMP I never filed for unemployment, and don’t think any of the other permanent officers aboard that ship did either. The guys sailing off the board (not permanent crew) almost always do. [I]Off the board[/I] folks are without a permanent home; seeing what ships are posted on the shipping board in need of positions filled for a set voyage/time period. Once they finish what they signed on for they are back on the beach until they are lucky enough to find something again (especially when things are slow.)

That’s the gist of it. But no, I never filed for it in the past and don’t even do it now as an off the board member.

Roger that.

Wow! A topic that affects the majority of the U.S. Merchant Marine, “Work & Rest Hours”, turns into a condemnation of maritime unions and a discussion on overtime pay and unemployment in just two post! Sleep deprivation is no joke, it’s proven to cause permanent brain damage.

Is there any reason why maritime unions are reluctant to take a stance on important issues affecting their members? Yes, there is a good reason; member apathy.

The problem is easy to identify yet extremely difficult for many mariners to see. Mariners need not look any further than the nearest mirror to see the problem first-hand. Union members don’t get involved in issues affecting their own working conditions. Instead, these galley-warriors will bitch and moan about inadequate rest but do nothing outside the confine of the galley. When the time comes for mariners to take a stance against the Boss and decide if they are men or mice, most mariners will declare their love of cheese.

Mariners deserve the representation they get. Whether that representation is good or non-existent, look no further that the nearest mirror to place the blame. Get involved in your Union. Elect union reps who will fight for you and most important of all, support their efforts to improve the terms and conditions of your workplace. In other words, come together as one voice. It’s extremely effective and the Boss hates it. The Boss wants to keep you powerless at work.

[QUOTE=Lookout;182673]The problem is easy to identify yet extremely difficult for many mariners to see. Mariners need not look any further than the nearest mirror to see the problem first-hand. Union members don’t get involved in issues affecting their own working conditions. Instead, these galley-warriors will bitch and moan about inadequate rest but do nothing outside the confine of the galley. When the time comes for mariners to take a stance against the Boss and decide if they are men or mice, most mariners will declare their love of cheese.

Mariners deserve the representation they get. Whether that representation is good or non-existent, look no further that the nearest mirror to place the blame. Get involved in your Union. Elect union reps who will fight for you and most important of all, support their efforts to improve the terms and conditions of your workplace. In other words, come together as one voice. It’s extremely effective and the Boss hates it. The Boss wants to keep you powerless at work.[/QUOTE]

MY GOD MAN! How is it that you can see what I see but it is only the two of us?

Really well said shipmate. Bravo Zulu

[QUOTE=Lookout;182673]Instead, these galley-warriors will bitch and moan about inadequate rest but do nothing outside the confine of the galley. When the time comes for mariners to take a stance against the Boss and decide if they are men or mice, most mariners will declare their love of cheese.[/QUOTE]

Just like most mariners in the GOM.