Divided we beg my ass! I’ve never in 21 years begged for a raise. If the market was right for a raise I got one. If I didn’t get one its up to me to decide if I was being screwed and change companies. I don’t need to pay a third party to look out for my interest I’m capable of doing that on my own.
Hahaha now that’s funny. The union has out lived its usefulness, they don’t give us raises. As already stated, the “boom” or “bust” determines our pay.
[QUOTE=ryanwood86;99567]Hahaha now that’s funny. The union has out lived its usefulness, they don’t give us raises. As already stated, the “boom” or “bust” determines our pay.[/QUOTE]
Well, ryan, you found a home.
For me it’s a control issue. I like control no matter what situation I am in. As long as I have some measure of control of whatever situation I am in, I can deal with it. I will only do something that someone tells me to do if there is something in it for me and that is the way I run the boat. I make it so no matter what I tell the crew to do, there is a reason they WANT to do it for their own reasons besides the cranky old bastard wants us to do something.
I will make my own decisions on my pay, where I work, where I live, what happens with the boat. I don’t need somebody talking to the boss for me. The chain of command between me and the top is two people, my coordinator, my manager and the owner, PERIOD. I am a big boy, I can make my own decisions.
And my wife told me I could say that.
There was a time and a place for unions. Then things changed and evolved. The unions changed and evolved by making things better for the union not the members and that is why they are in the situation they are in today.
[QUOTE=Fraqrat;99566]Divided we beg my ass! I’ve never in 21 years begged for a raise. If the market was right for a raise I got one. If I didn’t get one its up to me to decide if I was being screwed and change companies. I don’t need to pay a third party to look out for my interest I’m capable of doing that on my own.[/QUOTE]
Now. Fragrat, we are Buds, what you posted was not always the case. That said, I had no problem sailing non-union, Oh, one thing, non-union companies fell like celebrated November apples. I got tired of THAT. I had to make a living and the MEBA was the tool I used. Another thing, there is no US Merchant Marine today. I never will consider off shore as Merchant Marine, nor Brown Water either.
[QUOTE=BMCSRetired;99570]For me it’s a control issue. I like control no matter what situation I am in. As long as I have some measure of control of whatever situation I am in, I can deal with it. I will only do something that someone tells me to do if there is something in it for me and that is the way I run the boat. I make it so no matter what I tell the crew to do, there is a reason they WANT to do it for their own reasons besides the cranky old bastard wants us to do something.
I will make my own decisions on my pay, where I work, where I live, what happens with the boat. I don’t need somebody talking to the boss for me. The chain of command between me and the top is two people, my coordinator, my manager and the owner, PERIOD. I am a big boy, I can make my own decisions.
And my wife told me I could say that.
There was a time and a place for unions. Then things changed and evolved. The unions changed and evolved by making things better for the union not the members and that is why they are in the situation they are in today.[/QUOTE]
BMCSRetired, I have no problem with your post, doubtful you have any problem with mine.
I don’t see any Thanks on my posts, Oh Gee, I’m please you all are satisfied. 
How many GOM folks have a severance package of 7 figures. Union/Non Union it is your decision. I work for either and the seven figure buyout is no bullshit folks. I am a Republican, guns rights guy who retired from a union. There are bums at both places folks but the best educated people have been at MEBA. One non union C/E from Mobile Tankers I worked with was really great but he had taken a union job to pay his bills. His philosophy: work or get fired is my belief too.
He went to high school but was better educated than many of us college folks
Indeed I have found a home that I like. I have a good schedule, good pay and I know when my next check is coming. I was union once and I never felt the “for me” attitude. Heck, I was given 2 different dates for getting off a ship I was on and the only thing I got from the reps was a bunch of grief saying I was stiring the pot. All I wanted to do was figure out the correct date I was getting off. As far as the 7 figure pension, last I heard, all the unions were losing their rear and all the pensions were in the red. I guess this is still true, I haven’t heard any different.
To each their own for sure. Some people have done very well in the unions, I didn’t and I moved on.
Well if people are careful with their money they’ll have a 6 or 7 figure retirement waiting on them. That retirement fund came from somewhere probably the union holding a gun to the head of the company. While it was waiting on you it was making interest. Someone else was getting that interest. If its my money give it to me ill make the interest on it or invest it how I see fit. If I wanna buy guns, gold or beanie babies and bury them in the back yard it’s my decision. I don’t need to pay some guy to drive around in a Cadillac and negotiate a good deal for “us”. He’s not doing the work with me onboard and if I get hurt he ain’t helping me with my bills. Instead he will harass me for my dues and tell me I can’t ship out til I’m caught up.
I joined the union because the companies wouldn’t give me the time of day. . They’d ask me where I went to school and when I told them I was hawsepipe they’d show me the door. One guy told me I had a lot of nerve to even apply. Union just wanted to see my license, didn’t ask where I went to school. Those ring kissing companies can kiss my ass.
Ain’t no ring kissing companies down here that I’m aware of.
[QUOTE=Fraqrat;99590]Ain’t no ring kissing companies down here that I’m aware of.[/QUOTE]
Wouldn’t know, wasn’t down there.
[QUOTE=ryanwood86;99586]To each their own for sure. Some people have done very well in the unions, I didn’t and I moved on.[/QUOTE]
And well you should, you found a home, and dam it, stay there throughout the decades. How early you gave-up, do not come back.
[QUOTE=Kennebec Captain;99589]I joined the union because the companies wouldn’t give me the time of day. . They’d ask me where I went to school and when I told them I was hawsepipe they’d show me the door. One guy told me I had a lot of nerve to even apply. Union just wanted to see my license, didn’t ask where I went to school. Those ring kissing companies can kiss my ass.[/QUOTE]
Thank you, K. C.
I understand.
[QUOTE=Fraqrat;99590]Ain’t no ring kissing companies down here that I’m aware of.[/QUOTE]
God I hope not. I work for one now. Loaded to the stack covers with them. I’m surprised they hired me at all but the job was vacant for a year.
Now the ring knockers/kissers are on to me and know I am looking for a sailing job and it’s getting, uh, uncomfortable.
The attitude in the GOM is “Fuck the Union” and that’s the way it should be. We can talk to or threaten the companies to get what we want. We don’t need to pay someone to talk for us.
[QUOTE=Fraqrat;99588]Well if people are careful with their money they’ll have a 6 or 7 figure retirement waiting on them. That retirement fund came from somewhere probably the union holding a gun to the head of the company. While it was waiting on you it was making interest. Someone else was getting that interest. If its my money give it to me ill make the interest on it or invest it how I see fit. If I wanna buy guns, gold or beanie babies and bury them in the back yard it’s my decision. I don’t need to pay some guy to drive around in a Cadillac and negotiate a good deal for “us”. He’s not doing the work with me onboard and if I get hurt he ain’t helping me with my bills. Instead he will harass me for my dues and tell me I can’t ship out til I’m caught up.[/QUOTE]
WOW! Go your own way, take your friends with you. Wanna know what my Union retirement is, how about 2 grand a month. That. with my Social Security, which I paid into and it’s not a free bee, plus my own investments, makes me a happy camper. What we are dealing with here is not Unions or Non Unions, it is political, and it is cultural, and I advise all us to stop it. I will send a PM to a new arrival, it will not be nice. Whenever someone mentions a political party, and everyone sends their thanks, and all the folks delivering a Thanks are from Red State we are close to war on this forum. Do we want to go there? STOP THE POLITICS. Who gives a fuck if someone is so happy to be a republican so he/she can sleep so well. I got my monkey wrench.
Fuck a PM. Paddy, I’m talking to you. Who are you really?
No worries SnG we all got our opinions. I’m glad you made out great with MEBA I’m sure it was good back in the day. I’m glad you get to hang out in the hot tub with a drink and a stogie. After a life at sea you earned it and I hope you enjoy it. I wish I could get to the bitter roots and dip into the private stock with you. As you say cultural and geographical differences have some feeling one way or the other about unions. I had my four years with the union and found it to be a racket and I got out. So I only speak from my experience and as I’ve read others share those experiences as well.