Understanding China

Do you mean the average American?? The average person in the world is, if not struggling to put food on the table any more, struggling to improve his living condition to something at least halfway to American and European standard.

He is doing this by hard work, not by cheating, stealing, or threatening violence.

Yup. And that good on them. But that doesn’t give them the RIGHT to come to this country or any other. They are only granted that PRIVILEGE by the passage of policy by the lawmakers of that country. It is up to that country to determine whether or not and to what level that should be allowed that is in the best interests of the nation.

1 Like

No. It applies to anyone in any country whose government doesn’t protect them. In your Utopia, any person at any time is subject to losing their job the moment their company can find someone willing to do it cheaper.

My guess is that you fall into the category of a wealthy elitest who is retired and thus doesn’t have to worry about finding and maintaining employment in this environment you advocate for so heavily.

I would say that anybody that actually believe that China threatens to attack USA need to have their head examined, or at least a lesson in “Real Politik”.
The only threat to USA is to her position as the world hegemon.

China is still a developing country that is busy developing a strong domestic economy to get less dependent on export to other countries, some of which are less than appreciative of the advantages they have had from Chinese working for low wages.

China need to have control of the sea lanes leading to it’s coastline and a strong defence against any power threatening to chock off those lanes.
With the worry that USA will get rough as their position in the world diminish, China needs to have a strong conventional defence force to ensure that ability.

They also need the capability to retaliate with credible force against any nuclear threat, as long as there are that capability on the other side. USA has never stated that it would not be the first to use nuclear weapons, China have.

It’s obvious that China heading toward World domination. They don’t care if it take 200 years.

Short term, China has already claimed most of the South China Sea and its resources. Obviously, they intend to retake Taiwan. Obviously, they intend to dominate most of SE Asia.

Yes on all counts!!
Yes China will be dominating economic power in the world very soon.
It is more doubtful that they will be interested in being the dominant military power though. It cost too much and bring a lot of responsibility with it. There is no incentive for that, as long as they are able to defend themselves from aggression.

Yes they control the South China Sea and will continue to do so for as long as it takes to ensure that there are no longer a threat to their sea lanes.

Taiwan will eventually be reunited with the Motherland. Whether that will be by force or by mutual agreement is left to be seen though. As long as nobody stir the pot, status quo and a slow approach to unification is the most likely scenario.

Yes, domination of S.E.Asia is a given, but not in a military way. The ASEAN countries will see that their destiny is tied to a rising China, not to a declining power on the other side of the world.
(US and Europe)

I have no idea if China has any interest in planting “backdoors” into software in equipment it sells to USA or anywhere else, or if they have done so.
If so, I wouldn’t be surprised that CIA/NSA … have managed to place “backdoors” into software sold worldwide, such as Windows, Android, (you name it), or the widely used Facebook, Twitter, Skype etc.
I’m equally worried about both.

Hmm… Replace Taiwan with Poland or Belgium and suddenly that policy statement sounds familiar. Also sounds pretty nationalistic… Another example of the “good” nationalism exhibited by our friends in China

1 Like

Just a natural development, as long as nobody try to meddle.

Which one? Now or in '39?

We were taking Taiwan and the future, not Europe and history.

Ok just making sure… The whole “retaking into the motherland what’s our destiny by force if necessary” model is starting to sound familiar

Russia call themselves “the Fatherland” if that was where you were going.

No, it wasn’t. Here, I’ll translate the analogy. The expansionist attitude China currently is showing (which includes claiming territory thousands of miles from their shore, the “inevitable” retaking of Taiwan into the “motherland” by force if needed, and the construction of islands in international waters despite an international court ordering them to cease and desist) is reminiscent of the attitude and actions of the axis powers in the leadup to WW2.

Also, I think it’s pretty clear that the Chinese think less of non-Chinese similar to how the “Aryan race” and Japanese felt about themselves around that time.

That’s where I was going.

The world has move on since WWII and China is moving with it.

Are you serious or trolling?

• They’re was no that to their sea lanes.
  • They artificially created an island in order to claim international waters a theirs.

The only reason I can think of is they want control of the sea lanes (as opposed to no one controlling them) so they can dominate the other countries in that region. China is the threat.

2 Likes

Look at a map of Western Pacific and the China coast and maybe you will understand why China need to control the South China Sea.
It is somewhat like if someone was able to block off free access to the US Gulf coast by having control of a few narrow choke points.

Let’s move this discussion to the Understanding China thread.

It is international waters that China has no right to and they are the only ones threatening it. Who the fuck do you think they’re protecting it from? They just want to control it so they can fuck with anyone non Chinese who wants to go through there.

4 Likes

China wants all the fish, the oil and gas, and of courseTaiwan.

If oil and gas is found onshore in the Philippines, Vietnam, etc., the Chinese will take that too.

Who they want to protect themselves from should be obvious and it is none of the ASEAN countries surrounding the South China Sea.

They are not stopping free passage of commercial vessels, nor have they stopped any naval vessel of any nation from lawful passage in international waters.

They are trying to claim exclusive oil, gas, minerals and fishing rights, but not entirely successful yet. This dispute will have to be between China and the ASEAN countries through negotiations, or through international legal means, without interference from countries that have no claims in the area.

Man…a man 75 years old should know better than this…I get you’re progressive and looking forward but to completely ignore history is just reckless…