UK Marine Accident Investigation Branch: Too Early to Tell 'Common Themes' in

MAIB annual report is here:

A typical report:

:arrow_forward: Weather routing and parametric rolling
:arrow_forward: Container securing standards - loose lashings
:arrow_forward: Reduced structural strength of non-standard containers
:arrow_forward: Inaccurate container weight declarations and mis-stowed containers

Recommendations are avoid heavy weather, lash containers properly, use standard containers and ensure accurate container weights. In other words no change from the previous recommendations.

Surprised?

First time I’ve heard the term “non-standard containers”, I assumed it referred to strength standards but google tells me that’s not the case.

The difference types of ISO containers are all encountered in container ships in feeder ships and other vessels other than those found in trades dominated by the VLCC’s.
40’ containers containing liquid helium in an inner with an outer container of liquid nitrogen that the rate of boil off of the nitrogen through PV valves keeps the helium liquid can be encountering in exports from Texas.
Flat racks and platforms require special attention in planning the stow as they may be over height in the case of the former or over width and over length. Plate glass is commonly carried in open topped containers and can be over height . If a flat rack is not over height it can be handled as a normal box.
All the rest may require extra rigging before being handled by the gantry.

Sure, I’ve encountered the so-called non-standard container (be hard to miss), just not the term. I assumed “non-standard container” meant a container that did not meet, for example, ISO standards. In particular with regards to strength.

1 Like